PDA

View Full Version : okay to stir live sand??

m1nh0h
09/07/2011, 07:59 PM
my powerhead makes my sand bed uneven and leaves this area of my tank with no sand on the bottom. im planning on redirecting the flow of my powerhead, would it be okay if stir my sandbed and make it even throughout the tank? or will it disturb the organisms in it?

Bama Man
09/07/2011, 09:05 PM
What size tank do you have? How deep is your sand bed? What kind of sand do you have? How long has the tank been set up? How many fish do you have in it? If it is not a deep sand bed that has been set up for long and doesn't have a large bioload you could level the sand back out again. If it is a deep sandbed that has been established for a long time with lots of fish the sand bed will probably contain large amounts of detrious and other nasty wastes. You could do it in sections if that is the case to keep from stirring up too much of a problem. I add sand to mine after vacuuming it lightly during water changes becuase some of the sand always gets vacuumed out. I recommend placing your powerheads across from one another and aiming them at each other but aim them towards the top of the water. This creates more movement across the surface and keeps any film fromm developing on top. I hope this helps you. Good luck with your tank.

Fish4Me2
09/07/2011, 09:10 PM
I think a number of people stir their sand beds when doing water changes to keep things looking clean. I used to do so on my last tank with no issues. Just be aware that you are likely to kick up a large amount of detritus. I wouldn't plan to stir everything at once, for fear of getting too much into the water column, but I think you can do some gentle leveling of your sand with minimal problems, especially if you use this as an opportunity to rid yourself of some of the material you stir up via a water change.

m1nh0h
09/07/2011, 09:14 PM
my tank is a 29 gallon and almost 4 months old and i have 2 clownfish, 1 firefish, sixline wrasse and a typical cuc with snails, hermit crabs and a shrimp. My sandbed is argonite and is about 1 - 2 inches high (depending where in my tank). i was planning on evening out the sand bed this friday then doing a 5 gallon water change right after. I dont have to even out everything, I just want to move sand into that one place in my tank where there is no sand

Ron Reefman
09/08/2011, 05:55 AM
I have fine sand and my CL blows sand into piles... of course, so does the clown and wrasse. I drag it back to level once and a while with no reaction or parameter changes.

ultraxr
09/08/2011, 07:08 AM
the major factors are how deep is your sand bed and the size of your bioload/livestock. I'd highly suggest throwing in a filter sock before you do stir things up to get most of the free floating crap out. I do it all the time but I have 1"-1.5" sand bed only.

MagicReefer
09/08/2011, 07:14 AM
I have a 6" sand bed and just removed everything except the rock and carpet anemone and completly overhauled the aquascape. It was so cloudy i had to wait at times. The sand bed got really stirred up and I think it helped. After the system started up and everything settled (apx 30 min.) The sand is so white and the tank sparkles. Living organisms seem to have not noticed because all the trails and tunnels were back overnight.

Oh and +1 on the filter socks.

nuclearheli
09/08/2011, 07:28 AM
If it is a deep sandbed that has been established for a long time with lots of fish the sand bed will probably contain large amounts of detrious and other nasty wastes. You could do it in sections if that is the case to keep from stirring up too much of a problem.

I am in the habit of using a turkey baster occasionally to blow the detrious and other junk off of my rock into the water column so my sump can take care of it. Do you think that is a bad idea? I thought I picked up the tip from here but I might be mistaken.

MagicReefer
09/08/2011, 07:38 AM
I am in the habit of using a turkey baster occasionally to blow the detrious and other junk off of my rock into the water column so my sump can take care of it. Do you think that is a bad idea? I thought I picked up the tip from here but I might be mistaken.

My female Allardi clown blows sand everywhere from digging around the carpet. She does this everyday. It disperses into the water column and my filter socks suck it right up. I have had deep sand beds my whole life and never a crash one. It really depends on the quality of your filter system. If its aggresive enough you wont need to worry about it.

P.S. Turn off your skimmer when doing it. And for a couple hours after.

jlylec
09/08/2011, 07:41 AM
a couple thoughts/points on this...In the ocean sand and rocks and everything get blown around constantly. the organisms don't mind getting blown around here and there.

that said...in the ocean all the crap that builds up isn't contained to such a small space. considering that i'd only stir it up with a gravel vac siphon running. and when you do that do it slowly and keep a finger over the end of the tube so you can stop the flow and let the sand drop out of the vacuum tube every once in a while. i do this on my nano every time i do a weekly water change and the tank has remained very healthy and thriving.

there are lots of differing opinions on this (as with everything!) because the concept of a deep sand bed is that it's left alone and becomes a beneficial biofilter in itself. the problem with this is that over time it can become a ticking time bomb of detritus and decaying organics. my theory is that keeping this in check by removing a lot of crap every week avoids the time bomb. who knows if i'm right or wrong, but it's worked so far!

nuclearheli
09/08/2011, 07:52 AM
there are lots of differing opinions on this (as with everything!) because the concept of a deep sand bed is that it's left alone and becomes a beneficial biofilter in itself. the problem with this is that over time it can become a ticking time bomb of detritus and decaying organics. my theory is that keeping this in check by removing a lot of crap every week avoids the time bomb. who knows if i'm right or wrong, but it's worked so far!

I have two diamond golby's that have their own idea on how my sand bed should look. I just gave up on the bed and left the decorating to them. Turns out they are pretty good at it and the bed looks very natural and clean. But they really make quick work at cleaning the bed. So, would you still clean the sand bed out or do you think that the golby's are keeping the bed healthy on their own?

jlylec
09/08/2011, 07:57 AM
I have two diamond golby's that have their own idea on how my sand bed should look. I just gave up on the bed and left the decorating to them. Turns out they are pretty good at it and the bed looks very natural and clean. But they really make quick work at cleaning the bed. So, would you still clean the sand bed out or do you think that the golby's are keeping the bed healthy on their own?

I love gobies and I think they do help with the top layer of the bed. I have one in my nano and two in my 150 and love how they keep it natural and clean looking. i don't think they generally get very deep though. i change 4gal a week in my 34gal nano and the first 2gal i siphon out each week is yellow/brown with detritus i'm sucking out of the bed! it makes me feel good to get it out of there. there are MANY people out there that don't do this though and have perfectly healthy tanks so i'd think it's up to you. there are about 80 ways to skin this cat!

nuclearheli
09/08/2011, 08:05 AM
I love gobies and I think they do help with the top layer of the bed. I have one in my nano and two in my 150 and love how they keep it natural and clean looking. i don't think they generally get very deep though. i change 4gal a week in my 34gal nano and the first 2gal i siphon out each week is yellow/brown with detritus i'm sucking out of the bed! it makes me feel good to get it out of there. there are MANY people out there that don't do this though and have perfectly healthy tanks so i'd think it's up to you. there are about 80 ways to skin this cat!

In most places I have a 2" or so sand bed. For some reason my golby's think its fun to completely dig out sections of sand and move it into a pile, then move it back again. It's a blast to watch. They get all the way down to the eggcrate, then move the pile again and again. Like they are in prison or something and working on the rock pile.

cloak
09/08/2011, 10:57 AM
my tank is a 29 gallon and almost 4 months old and i have 2 clownfish, 1 firefish, sixline wrasse and a typical cuc with snails, hermit crabs and a shrimp. My sandbed is argonite and is about 1 - 2 inches high (depending where in my tank). i was planning on evening out the sand bed this friday then doing a 5 gallon water change right after. I dont have to even out everything, I just want to move sand into that one place in my tank where there is no sand

I don't think you'll have a problem, especially with a 1"-2" sandbed that's only 4 months old.

m1nh0h
09/08/2011, 11:52 AM
thanks for all the feedback, from everything so far seems to me that it should be fine to move my sand around a little bit. but just in case i'll do it right before i do a water change and not move too much of the sand around just a little bit at a time