PDA

View Full Version : Help ID this crab please!

L_Spec
09/08/2011, 12:57 AM
I know that generally most crabs are going to be bad for reef tanks, however, I'd like to know more about this guy instead of just getting rid of the crab right off the bat. I got it as a hitchhiker with my first batch of Live Rock, but it would always scurry away before I could even get a good look.

Tonight, I saw it trying to throw my new Zoanthid frag off of the top of my rocks, so I got a pair of tweezers and pinned him against a rock and luckily got him with tweezers!

Anyways, here it is:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/6125987755_9899a0e620_b.jpg

Any idea as to what crab it is? Thanks a bunch!

WetShepherd
09/08/2011, 01:25 AM
He looks like some kind of Xanthid to me, which fits his King Kong disposition. Good job in getting him out. Check here (http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchcrabs.html), until someone more experienced pops in with an answer ;)

L_Spec
09/08/2011, 01:37 AM
I've tried matching his yellowish/white parts of his legs with the other crabs on the site, but none are really a match, I don't think. I do think you're right when you say that you suspect him to be a Xanthid, though. Hopefully someone will know! I'm thinking of putting him into his own tank if he isn't reef safe. If he is reef safe... well, I'll just throw him back into the tank :P

sponger0
09/08/2011, 06:27 AM
Hairy crab = bad

billrob71
09/08/2011, 07:24 AM
Hairy crab = EVIL = Mantis shrimp food :-)

Good for you for getting it out.

Korrine
09/08/2011, 07:29 AM
another judge is also the size of the claw! But I don't like any crab!

sponger0
09/08/2011, 07:29 AM

You said it better than me lol. I found one last week and didnt hesitate to remove him and drop him in an empty QT. Needless to say he was introduced to cyrogenics.

Lynnmw1208
09/08/2011, 08:47 AM

+1 or pufferfish food :)

WetShepherd
09/08/2011, 10:59 AM
He already took a shot at your Zoas and you were lucky to catch him - in your shoes I'd be deciding between the sump and the LFS.

edit: btw - you found one so there could be more - I'd suggest you pop your lights on at night and just watch the tank for signs of movement on the rocks. They often come out at night and as soon as you flip the light on they start slowly working their way back into a hole in the rock. I found 11 in my 60lbs of LR so keep checking and GL ;)

L_Spec
09/08/2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I figured he'd be bad, but I guess I just wanted to give him a chance. My leather seems to actually be doing better now that the crab is gone lol.

Thanks again!