PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to best utilize the EB8

fastrd400
09/08/2011, 10:28 AM
I am getting ready to install a pair of EB8's in my cabinet and was wondering what is the best way to utilize the plugs on them. I have the following that needs to be plugged in:

Actinics = 2 plugs
Metal Halides = 2 plugs
Return pumps = 2 plugs
Powerheads = 2 plugs
Skimmer = 1 plug
Heater = 1 plug
Chiller = 1 plug
Canopy fans = 2 plugs
Reactor pump = 1 plug
ATO = 1 plug
Moon lights = 1 plug

I am sure there are a couple plugs that I am forgetting, but are not a part of the major system. I can also use the wall outlets behind the cabinet for things that don't really need to be controlled by my Apex.

I guess what I am asking is, with the stuff listed above, which outlets, and how would you guys set it up?

swearint
09/08/2011, 10:41 AM
Couple things to keep in mind:

1) The total current rating of a single EB8 is 15 amps.

2) Outlets 1-3, 5-7 are rated for 5A, outlets 4 & 8 are rated for 10A.

3) Outlets 4 & 8 are mechanical relays and should be used for low wattage devices in order to assure that they turn off reliably or higher current devices due to the ratings.

4) Typical room circuits are rated for 15A, so make sure you have each EB8 on seperate circuits.

Todd

aquamanic
09/08/2011, 12:14 PM
One other thing you might want to consider in addition to Todd's advice is to combine devices that are going to always turn on/off together to save outlets (as long as the total amperage draw stays within the limits). For example, if you have multiple return pumps that are always going to run together, put them on a short pigtail and share a single outlet. Your canopy fans might be another.