PDA

View Full Version : Success with Angelfish pairs?

angelfish7
09/08/2011, 06:12 PM
Would like to hear of anyone on the board who's had success pairing angelfish. Primarily interested in Personifer or Scribbled angels. I have one of each was was considering adding another. I have a 6" female Scribbled and found a male recently around 4" and was considering trying to pair them. would love to hear your thoughts.

thanks

LukFox
09/09/2011, 09:54 AM
I definitely would not add a smaller male to a larger female... That female would probably turn male as a result.

I've had success pairing regal angels, and I have a trio of cherubs. With the regals I got them at the same juvenile size, and things were really rocky between them for about 8 months I think. They finally decided who the male would be, and all has been smooth ever since. The cherubs I just made sure one was larger than the others in the group, and that went peacefully. I would recommend adding a smaller female to pair up existing angels.

albano
09/09/2011, 10:17 AM
I've had success pairing regal angels...
Love my regal...what distinguishes M from F, so I could get another?

LukFox
09/09/2011, 11:58 AM
Love my regal...what distinguishes M from F, so I could get another?

The male got longer cheek spines and is growing much faster than the female now. The extra growth could have affected the spines, too. It is mostly behavior in how the two interact. Get a small regal with small spines and it could work. My regals were aggressive to each other though and I had to keep them separated initially. Keeping the female in a Kritter Keeper or divided by eggcrate for a bit so the current regal can still see her but not attack is ideal.

blface
09/09/2011, 12:07 PM
I never heard of or even seen a 4" male scribbled. Every male I've ever seen was huge. I wouldn't personaly try it.

geaux xman
09/09/2011, 12:16 PM
i emailed foster smith and asked if i had 2 female scribbled, if theres a good possibility one would turn male. i have a 3.5" scribbled, if i were to add a 4-5" one.

albano
09/09/2011, 02:29 PM
Has anyone tried to pair a Regal with a Red Sea Regal?...any chance of that working?

angelfish7
09/10/2011, 06:35 AM
I definitely would not add a smaller male to a larger female... That female would probably turn male as a result.

Lukfox
I called several reputable Marine stores and was advised since the female is already 6" and mature, it is very unlikely she would change. Most of the articles i've read state any changes, if any, would begin around 4.5"-5" and reach maturity by 6". I opted for the smaller male(hopefully) cause a friend had a pair a while back and the male was several inches larger and at times would beat up the female. Also since shes already a "mature female" , this would enhance my chances of the smaller one becoming a male.

billybloo
09/10/2011, 06:38 PM
Keep in mind all angelfish are born females. The best way to pair them up is a when they are still young...usually less than 3 inches. The larger one becomes the male.