PDA

View Full Version : test results with my own test...

sweeper7
09/08/2011, 08:14 PM
my API master test kit came in today and did my first test and man are they different from what petco stated.

here are the numbers:

pH - looks to be in between 8.2 and 8.4
Ammonia - looks to be at the 0.25 area maybe a bit below.
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 10-20 ppm

2 week old tank, 30 lb live sand, 13 lbs live rock.

sweeper7
09/08/2011, 08:14 PM
does that look to be going UP or giong down as far as the cycle goes?

wbdevers
09/08/2011, 10:34 PM
You are looking good on your cycle. What size tank?

Remember you will go from NH4--NO2--NO3. So when the ammonia starts going down you should see a spike in nitrates etc. Graphically imagine three bell curves with them overlapping on the sides. When your ammonia and nitrate read 0 you are good to go. Also remember that when your cycle does end you will still have to add live stock slowly so that your system can re-balance itself to the new bio-load.

AC2020x
09/08/2011, 10:42 PM
It sounds to me like your cycle should be going fine just as previously mentioned.. I'd keep close track of where it moves and where it is headed over the next couple weeks. As far as your results being different from petco's I personally wouldn't trust either of them. There is nothing wrong with API test kits, i've used them before.. However I believe that you can get much better results from more proven test kits like elos, salifert, Lamotte or Red sea pro. I personally like Red Sea's the best as they have created very easy and efficient way of testing that is professionally done and seems to be quite accurate. It is also very cost effective as you can just buy replacement fluid for much cheaper than other test kits if you run out or it expires.

I'd look into some of the other test kits. Again though, it sounds like your on the right track. And personally, I wouldn't trust anything petco says... maybe yours is better but the one in my town knows next to nothing about fish and generally all of their fish are sick or dying in their tanks.. They are all about making money!

sweeper7
09/08/2011, 11:26 PM
problem is my ammonia has stayed at a steady place for almost 2 weeks now. My nitrate went up but my ammonia never wnet up or spiked.

its as if it is stuck at .2 the whole 2 weeks

Ron Reefman
09/09/2011, 08:11 AM
Give it time, you are raising bacteria. And it's good that we know you have 13lbs of LR, but is that in a 10g tank or a 100g tank. It kind of makes a difference.

sweeper7
09/09/2011, 10:37 AM
20 gal Long, i have 4-5 more lbs of LR in another tank waiting for a transfer

Ron Reefman
09/09/2011, 10:44 AM
20 gal Long, i have 4-5 more lbs of LR in another tank waiting for a transfer

What is it that you are waiting for?

sweeper7
09/09/2011, 05:13 PM
I have a clown fish in the other tank with a chocolate chip sea star taht needs to be transfered into this tank but can't take my LR out of the other tank i was told

sweeper7
09/09/2011, 06:09 PM
i read that once ammonia goe sup to convert into nitrite, the ammonia will drop to 0, nitrite will turn it into nitrate, nitrite will drop and as long as the nitrate is not TOO high it is okay and harmless to the fish.

sweeper7
09/09/2011, 06:44 PM
so i just did another test and my Nitrite was at 0, my ammonia looks to be between 0 and .25 ppm and my nitrate looks to be at 20 still.

why is my ammonia SLIGHTLY there still? could it be the 4 pieces of left over frozen shrimp inside the AquaClear foam cuasing it?

sweeper7
09/10/2011, 01:53 PM
so my ammonia was basicaly 0, nitrite 0, Nitrate at 20 and i needed to top the water off about 2 inches worth today so I did a 25% water change as that should drop the nitrate down and hopefully by tomorrow should read a lot less so I can make my tank ready for transfer :)