PDA

View Full Version : A sad, sad day.......

kduen
09/09/2011, 12:41 AM
I am posting here because I lost my S. Haddoni and this is where I read and post the most.

Well one of those unfortunate events happened to me this evening. I walked into the house this evening after being gone for 7 days to an unlit tank. I didn't notice anything wrong other than the lights at the time but just thought that it was a little quieter than normal. My son tried turning on the lights to the room and when none of them came on I knew that something bad had happened.

A little back story first to set the chain of events. I have been struggling with bryopsis for a while now but finally decided to knock it out for good and bought three gallons of Tech-M before our Labor Day trip. I decided that since we were going to be gone for a week to wait until we got back before I started dosing. While we were gone I set up my brute can with more than enough top off water to last the trip just like I always do. So I have a tank full of the devils weed and about 30 gallons of top off.

Well from what I can tell somewhere around Sunday or Monday (since that’s last show that recorded on the DVR) enough of the bryopsis came loose from the rocks to plug the overflow screen. See where this is going... So probably 20 gallons or so ended up getting topped off that didn’t need to be which then overflowed out the top of the tank splashing down on a power strip that was mounted to the back side of our DVD rack (yes it was off the ground) causing it to short out and trip the breaker. No survivors.

So long story short is I had 90 gallons of soupy death that I just spent last 4 hours cleaning up after a nine hour drive. Everything finally was coming together and now this.

Oh and to top it off I didn't know at the time about the wet power strip and when I flipped the breaker it almost started a fire since it was still soaking wet. I have no idea if the lights, skimmer, MP40 anything works since it was plugged in at the time I flipped it.

Time to finally get some sleep, regroup and come up with a plan to get things going again.

125mph
09/09/2011, 01:18 AM
Sucks! I hate to lose any livestock or coral but haddoni is the worst to lose!

I was scrambling all night today too, San Diego suffered a big power outage. I thought I was gonna lose my haddoni :(.. Manage to run the pumps from my car power plug.

wvreef
09/09/2011, 05:00 AM
sorry to hear about your livestock.....hope all you equipment is ok and u can get started again

Soopabruva1
09/09/2011, 05:03 AM
Sorry to hear that man. I'm always paranoid when the house is empty even for a day. Murphy's law is a mother. You will bounce back

Woogiekids
09/09/2011, 05:06 AM
So very sorry!

BairdimusPrime
09/09/2011, 05:32 AM
sorry to hear this!!!

good luck

Cheebs
09/09/2011, 06:39 AM
Sorry to hear!!! That really sucks :(

In retrospect, at least it didn't start a fire in the first place, and you didn't lose more!!

Docsb79
09/09/2011, 06:52 AM
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully the equipment is still intact and you can get it going again soon.

R33f3r
09/09/2011, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear!!! That really sucks :(

In retrospect, at least it didn't start a fire in the first place, and you didn't lose more!!

Exactly!

miniwhinny
09/09/2011, 08:13 AM
Oh I'm so sorry :sad2:

zachstone13
09/09/2011, 08:24 AM
Wow, absolutely terrible news. Very sorry to hear about your tank and livestock. Very sad.

kduen
09/09/2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks to all that have replied. Yes I was very lucky that it didn't start a fire the first time and I was even more lucky that I didn't catch the house on fire or zap my wife or son that was in the room when I flipped the breaker back on. Last night I was really thinking about selling off what I could and calling it quits but I think this will just push me to make the setup that much better.

First thing I have to figure out is how much damage was actually done to the equipment and then most importantly if the stand is soaked through and needs to be re-built or not. Maybe now is the time to start putting the bug in the wife's ear to upgrade to the 180 I want to get.

Supernova26
09/09/2011, 12:41 PM
Very sorry to hear that. I had a very similar situation but my Apex saved the day. It is a lot of money for a controller but it would have cost me 4 times as more in fish and corals.

xCry0x
09/09/2011, 12:47 PM
Wow that is not fun. Note to future self, mount the powerstrip out of flooding range..

Sugar Magnolia
09/09/2011, 02:59 PM
Sorry to hear this! Good luck with the rebuild.

MidMichiganReef
09/09/2011, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry, that is a nightmare, hopefully you get your drive back and get a nice new setup going

this is me
09/09/2011, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap.
It happened to me last August when I was out of the country for 2 weeks although it was the magnifica that caused the problem.

What you need is a water sensor or a float sensor in your main tank to tell the return pump to shut off when triggered. I just finished setting up mine with a Profilux. I can rest a little easier at night knowing that I have this extra security for if one of my anemones decides to take a walk and clog the overflow. For this reason, I was reluctant to house another magnifica. But with this set up, I will give one another try. It just a matter of finding a healthy magnigica now.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160172&stc=1&d=1315616049.jpg

The magnifica that destroyed my tank last year. It was a very nice one too.
Red base with green/yellow tips.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160171&stc=1&d=1315616049.jpg

kduen
09/09/2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the tip I will definately be incorporating this in the rebuild.

Sean16420
09/09/2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry to hear about that. My eel tank overflowed about 3 weeks ago thank goodness it was only about 5 gallons but it definetally ruined the stand and everything. Hope you can get everything back in order for an amazing new build.

Blayne
09/11/2011, 08:06 PM
Soo very sorry =(

kduen
09/11/2011, 10:07 PM
Well looks like it will be a little longer than expected before I get back going again. I checked out the stand and it's soaked about halfway up and starting to fall apart. I also noticed today when I went to go and clean out the tank that It's craked on the top brace in two spots. One stops before the side pannel but the other one goes from the top to about 2" down the front viewing pane. I may post in the DIY forum to see if I can cut it down about 4" from the top and glue a new top on it and convert it to a sump for the rebuild or hit up craigslist for a cheap 100 gal. tank. Still not sure exactly what I'm going to do but it definately will be better. Here are a few pics from my phone.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/Kris_Duensing/IMAG0089.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/Kris_Duensing/IMAG0087.jpg

Genin
09/12/2011, 09:07 AM
wow, that is horrible. i bet you'll rebuild this even better than it was before. good luck.