PDA

View Full Version : wow what a nooob

jonathansruelas
09/09/2011, 12:59 AM
ok so I was cleaning my asm G2 skimmer when the collection cup fell to the ground leaving a big crack on the bottom of the cup.. I filled water to see if water leaked and of course it was leaking a little. So does anyone know how i can fix it? i was thinking putting alot of silicon on and around the crack? does anyone have experience with this?:sad1:

or know of a place that sells them? i searched a couple sites but only found the collection cup O ring and not the cup itself... :sad2:

reefjunkie42
09/09/2011, 01:07 AM
hey, get weld on, google it, use 3 or 4. get the applicator and learn how to make molecular bonds using acrylic! it is a great thing to know how to use in this hobby.:)

PRDubois
09/09/2011, 01:22 AM
+1 for weld on

jonathansruelas
09/09/2011, 01:24 AM
ok so I googled the weld on 3 with the applicator, when I get it do i just put the weld on in between the seams? how long do i leave it on for

evsalty
09/09/2011, 01:46 AM
It will set almost instantly. If this is a hairline or clean crack then 3 or 4 will work by applying it directly to the crack and letting it bond the pieces back together. For wider or not so clean cracks weld-on 16 will work better as it is to fill in voids as opposed to the 3 and 4 that are for molecular bonding.

jonathansruelas
09/09/2011, 06:25 AM
It will set almost instantly. If this is a hairline or clean crack then 3 or 4 will work by applying it directly to the crack and letting it bond the pieces back together. For wider or not so clean cracks weld-on 16 will work better as it is to fill in voids as opposed to the 3 and 4 that are for molecular bonding.

Ok thank you for clearing it up for me.. Where do you order them from
?i I will need the weld on 3

Ron Reefman
09/09/2011, 07:17 AM
I used 3M Co 5200 marine adhesive. There won't be any real pressure behind this and after 24 hours it holds GREAT. And you can buy a small tube at the local hardware. It isn't pretty, but it's quick and easy. BTW, after you use some, the rest of the tube will harden. I put a small piece of aluminum foil tape over the opening, thread on the cap and store it in the refrgerator (the one in the garage with all the beer and pop).

zigzag1
09/09/2011, 08:48 AM
Been there, done that on my old G3. Very frustrating, no doubt.. Mine broke into 4 pieces which I tacked together with superglue and then used silicone to make it water tight again. Then, I used this just long enough until the new one I ordered from Premium Aquatics arrived. Cup and lid are separate orders, fyi, in case you need both.. GL!

lexiz1
09/09/2011, 11:27 AM
GEL super glue. Worked great for same application.

yubunski
09/09/2011, 12:23 PM
easy fix with weld on. also, having weld on and some acry. sheets on hand come in very handy for reef tanks. made a DIY fishing trap in less than 10 min a couple weekends ago.

yerboy
09/09/2011, 12:25 PM
dont waste time and money ordering weld on when a little super glue will fix that crack right up.

Sport507
09/09/2011, 02:50 PM
+1 super glue gel.

jonathansruelas
09/09/2011, 02:51 PM
Been there, done that on my old G3. Very frustrating, no doubt.. Mine broke into 4 pieces which I tacked together with superglue and then used silicone to make it water tight again. Then, I used this just long enough until the new one I ordered from Premium Aquatics arrived. Cup and lid are separate orders, fyi, in case you need both.. GL!

I checked the website premium aquatics and they only have the g3, or is it the same size cup as the g2??

Instead of using weld on would silicon do the trick, I have no missing pieces just a crack where water seams through

jonathansruelas
09/09/2011, 02:54 PM
+1 super glue gel.

Where can I find the super gel? Does home depot hold it?

jonathansruelas
09/09/2011, 10:52 PM
Bump

yerboy
09/10/2011, 08:10 AM
home depot, lowes, dollar store, wal-mart, any of your big box stores will carry it

thebkramer
09/10/2011, 08:36 AM
home depot, lowes, dollar store, wal-mart, any of your big box stores will carry it

+1
super glue gel is my best friend :lmao:
plus.. it works great for fragging.. keeping rocks in place.. keeping snails from knocking everything over.. etc :lol2:

you can get it just about anywhere.. even the dollar store!!!
(got mine from wally world near plumbing section for $2 for a big tube.. got 6 of them lol)

jonathansruelas
09/10/2011, 11:16 AM
+1
super glue gel is my best friend :lmao:
plus.. it works great for fragging.. keeping rocks in place.. keeping snails from knocking everything over.. etc :lol2:

you can get it just about anywhere.. even the dollar store!!!
(got mine from wally world near plumbing section for $2 for a big tube.. got 6 of them lol)

Alright cool thanks alot I am going to go search for it tonight.. Thanks everyone for the help