PDA

View Full Version : Am I starving my tank??????

mtaswt
09/09/2011, 08:01 AM
Based on the information I am giving would you think that I am starving my tank?

Here is a little rundown of what I am experiencing:

I can't keep SPS, and lately even my LPS aren't looking all that great? My SPS seem to do "ok" for two weeks and then all the flesh just peels off of them. The LPS, especially my acans, don't really even extend their polyps anymore. I have been so careful not to overfeed and pollute my tank, but it seems I am doing more harm than good? I typically, but not always, feed pellets when I get home from work, and then later in the evening I will put two cubes of RO rinsed mysis in. Other than that I "usually" don't feed anything else. I will "occassionally" put coral food in there, but in an effort not to pollute the tank it may not be often enough??.....should I feed the corals more often?

My parameters are as follows:
Alk-8.6 (Hanna)
Calc-450 (Salifert)
Mag-1350 (Salifert)
Phos-0 (Hanna)
Nitrate-.2 (Salifert) this is possibly on the high side as it is hard to tell the exact color
pH-8.3 to 8.5 (recently calibrated ph probe)
Salinity- 1.025
Temp-79-80

I was thinking maybe my GFO may be the cause of my SPS decline so I pulled it offline a week ago, and now I'm just running carbon in my reactor, and I'm still showing 0 phosphates.

You can see my set up below in my signature for all the other information on the tank. If you want to know anything else just let me know, and I will gladly reply! Any and all help would greatly be appreciated as I would still call myself a newbie. (my tank has been set up for 10 months now)

Thank you--Matthew

philosophile
09/09/2011, 08:19 AM
Probably not starving the tank.... at least for the coral. The coral are going to get enough energy from lighting. So its something else that is killing your SPS... I'm not terribly experienced with SPS, so I'll defer to others on that.

As for your acans not opening up.... Some seem to open up more than others, I've noticed. But I've also noticed that if they are in higher flow, they tend to close up more. I don't think this is a big problem typically.... They usually still open up at night. But if you want them to open up, try moving them.

tydtran
09/09/2011, 08:24 AM
I don't think that you feeding schedule is the problem.

Make sure that your temperature and salinity are at the right value and try doing more frequent water changes.

mtaswt
09/09/2011, 08:31 AM
I don't think that you feeding schedule is the problem.

Make sure that your temperature and salinity are at the right value and try doing more frequent water changes.

I added temp and salinity above.....I change water every 2 weeks! Maybe I should do half the amount and make it weekly?

Frankfish
09/09/2011, 08:36 AM
Your param's look ok, you could raise the salinity up just a bit. I don't think the feeding is affecting your corals, unless you are overfeeding. I would start with some basic changes and see what happens. Up your water change schedule for a couple of weeks and make sure your skimmer is dialed in. If that doesn't work, then I would try moving things around to see if flow or light intensity is the problem.

There could be more complex issues, but IME most problems seemed to get fixed with more vigilant skimming and water changes.

RA
09/09/2011, 09:05 AM
Are they getting enough light?

PJtree23
09/09/2011, 09:08 AM
Post some pictures of the LPS that have degraded.

PJ

mtaswt
09/09/2011, 09:16 AM
Are they getting enough light?

I would think they are getting plenty of light, but the LPS issues are fairly new issues

Post some pictures of the LPS that have degraded.

PJ

I will try and take some decent pictures this weekend. I love my tank, but I HATE showing pictures because they just don't do the tank any justice!

Uncle Salty 05
09/09/2011, 09:59 AM
I would stop rinsing the mysis and start soaking it in Selcon.
Reduce if not eliminate the pellets, they are loaded with phosphates.
I prefer flakes, they too are loaded with phosphates so I feed them very sparingly.
Try some other frozen foods as well. Ocean Nutrition's Prime Reef is a good one, Cyclopeze is another.
Mix the mysis, prime reef and cyclopeze in a shot glass, put a few drops of Selcon on them and let them thaw/soak for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occaisionally.
Then just dump the shot glass in a high flow area where it will be dispersed.
I can almost gaurantee you will see an improvement within two weeks.

mtaswt
09/09/2011, 10:04 AM
I would stop rinsing the mysis and start soaking it in Selcon.
Reduce if not eliminate the pellets, they are loaded with phosphates.
I prefer flakes, they too are loaded with phosphates so I feed them very sparingly.
Try some other frozen foods as well. Ocean Nutrition's Prime Reef is a good one, Cyclopeze is another.
Mix the mysis, prime reef and cyclopeze in a shot glass, put a few drops of Selcon on them and let them thaw/soak for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occaisionally.
Then just dump the shot glass in a high flow area where it will be dispersed.
I can almost gaurantee you will see an improvement within two weeks.

That's some advice I like to hear (along with all the other's advice).....thank you and we will see where it takes me!! Gonna start with a water change tonight!

Uncle Salty 05
09/09/2011, 10:08 AM
You're welcome.
Please keep us posted.

Cloudburst2000
09/09/2011, 02:25 PM
Are the sps getting enough flow? I doubt your starving the tank. With your feedings and the fish poop, I think they'd be getting plenty of food. Have you changed your bulbs recently? Since your parameters are looking okay, I would think the problem was likely flow or lighting.

Uncle Salty 05
09/09/2011, 02:30 PM
Two MP40's should be adequate flow, but lighting could be an issue.
Do you change your bulbs on schedule?

mtaswt
09/09/2011, 04:17 PM
I haven't changed them yet.....tank has been set up for about 10 months but some of that was cycling which I didn't run them. Do you think it's time for new bulbs already?

LOTUS50GOD
09/09/2011, 04:24 PM
I would say look at your lights.
T5 lights are good for about 6 months.
MH are good for 9 months (12 if you push it).
That is some of us are going to LED... they never need to be changed. :)

mtaswt
09/09/2011, 05:34 PM
I would say look at your lights.
T5 lights are good for about 6 months.
MH are good for 9 months (12 if you push it).
That is some of us are going to LED... they never need to be changed. :)

How can I tell by looking at my lights? Something visually?