PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Powder Blue and Clown Tang

Dave1NC
09/09/2011, 01:22 PM
I am going to be getting a small Clown Tang and a small Powder Blue Tang next week. I currently have a 240g (96x24x24) with a large Purple, Regal and a Yellow Tang. I have a quarantine system that will be setup so I can monitor the new fish for the first 3 weeks and then I want to add them to the DT.

To reduce aggression I was thinking of adding an egg crate divider so the new fish won't be disturbed however they would still be able to see each other.

I was wondering what you think of this approach and how long I would need to keep separated before removing the egg crate.

Thanks!
Dave

geaux xman
09/09/2011, 01:36 PM
i think more importantly, prophylactic treat for ich. if not, i think you are just playing with fire with tangs. monitoring alone is not good enough. JMO.

the egg crate divider is a good idea. that worked with with my powder brown. he was always aggressive to new additions, so i had to throw him in the acclimation box for a week. RIP powder brown.

Dave1NC
09/09/2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have never treated a fish for Ich or any parasite unless it shows signs of the disease. Every Tang has ich or can develop it whether its in quarantine or in the display tank IMO. I believe the treatment can be worse than the cure if it's not administered properly or treated effectively.

I've heard of some people having success when using the egg crate method to reduce aggression and give the new fish it's own territory or just get them use to being together.

If worse comes to worse I can cancel my order or get fish that won't interfere with the other tangs territory.

Perhaps someone can recommend some larger fish that I could get that wouldn't disturb them :)

geaux xman
09/09/2011, 02:04 PM
I say try it out. A healthy PBT really is a beautiful fish. If it doesnt work out, a LFS would surely take it on a trade in. Its just that the PBT is one of the most ich prone tangs around.

The Clown tang can get pretty big and aggressive. A PBT would suit a 240g much better.

D5HP
09/09/2011, 02:10 PM
Where are you getting the tangs from?

Dubey's has a clown tang that eats flake straight out of your hand for sale in their big coral tank.

I wish I had room for him...one of the coolest fish I've ever seen.

Toddrtrex
09/09/2011, 02:23 PM
I personally would skip the clown tang -- don't see things ending well with the other tangs that you currently have in there.

Kahuna Tuna
09/09/2011, 02:31 PM
I personally would skip the clown tang -- don't see things ending well with the other tangs that you currently have in there.

+1 So many reasons to never get a clown tang.

gasman059
09/09/2011, 02:32 PM
ditto no clown for sure

MrTuskfish
09/09/2011, 02:59 PM
IMO, 3 weeks is not enough time in a QT; especially with the new info on ich reproductive times. I've had an ich infestation in a 240, almost 20 years ago. Never again. Here's some excellent reading, from snorvich:http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041951.

On the clown tang, an aggressive fish for sure. IMO, the biggest problem will be with the PBT, because they're both of the same genus (Acanthurus) and none of your other tangs belong to that group. I don't think its impossible. ; if introduced small and at the same time....I think its about 50/50. Getting one out, if there is a problem, ain't easy. All of us have different levels of risk we'll take and the yellow & purple you have now often hate each other.

Dave1NC
09/09/2011, 03:10 PM
I' never heard so many bad things about clown tangs. I've seen them in other peoples DT and haven't heard a complaint. I will have to research that one some more... ;)

How long do you recommend keeping it in quarantine MrTuskFish?

aquaph8
09/09/2011, 03:24 PM
I would QT for atleast 8 weeks. Yeah skip the clown tang, I know there cool but Ive seen them cause problems in tanks twice the size of yours.

docsky
09/09/2011, 03:27 PM
a friend of mine has had a PB and a clown tang in a 150 together for over a year now. He added a very small blue tang a couple months and neither fish picked on him. Just thought i throw it out there. Like with all new fish its a risk.

Megatrev62
09/09/2011, 03:32 PM
FWIW the pbt has a very high motality rate. They are problomatic fish as far as acclimation goes. Many are lost and it's a shame.

Recty
09/09/2011, 03:32 PM
I've never had good luck adding SMALLER tangs to a tank with already existing LARGER tangs. If you're going to do it, I'd try to get a bigger PBT. At least equal to, if not slightly larger, than the existing tangs.

Eggcrate will help, for sure... but when you finally do release him, he is still going to be in the same feeding space and territory as the other larger, established fish. You're asking for trouble, especially with a "finicky" fish like a PBT.

If things go perfect and the other, larger, established tangs ignore him (yeah right) then I totally see you as being successful. I just really really really wouldnt plan on that, I've never seen it work out that way.

Personally, if I had to choose between adding the two fish you've listed, I'd skip the PBT and add the clown, I think it would have a better chance at surviving the hazing period.

Kahuna Tuna
09/09/2011, 03:39 PM
Clown tangs are just about the worst choice for a reef fish on so many levels. Its very hard to keep one alive long term, they need an enormous tank (I'm not sure 240 is enough), and they can be among the most aggressive and potentially lethal of all reef fish. Their acanthus is huge and I've read it may be venomous as well and they can inflict grevious wounds with it. This fish does not get mellow with age, its gets even more aggressive and territorial.

I've always wanted one since they are truly among the most beautiful of all reef fishes but I will continue to resist that urge.

Dave1NC
09/09/2011, 03:43 PM
what kind of reef safe larger fish would do better? i was thinking a dwarf angel or possibly a bluejaw, but the bluejaw may eat my inverts... i know dwarfs are also hit and miss when it comes to corals. i've heard flame and a bi-color are typically a little less likely to nip at corals?

if all else fails, i may end up getting a couple of medium to large fairy wrasses. any other suggestions would be appreciated.

aquaph8
09/09/2011, 03:47 PM
FWIW the pbt has a very high motality rate. They are problomatic fish as far as acclimation goes. Many are lost and it's a shame.

Clowns too.

MrTuskfish
09/09/2011, 03:48 PM
I've never had good luck adding SMALLER tangs to a tank with already existing LARGER tangs. If you're going to do it, I'd try to get a bigger PBT. At least equal to, if not slightly larger, than the existing tangs.

Eggcrate will help, for sure... but when you finally do release him, he is still going to be in the same feeding space and territory as the other larger, established fish. You're asking for trouble, especially with a "finicky" fish like a PBT.

If things go perfect and the other, larger, established tangs ignore him (yeah right) then I totally see you as being successful. I just really really really wouldnt plan on that, I've never seen it work out that way.

Personally, if I had to choose between adding the two fish you've listed, I'd skip the PBT and add the clown, I think it would have a better chance at surviving the hazing period.

I spoke too soon on the size factor. (1 time-zone jet lag after returning from the Packer game). I seem to be only considering the 2 Acanthurus tangs. No matter what, there is going to be pecking order stuff. I keep a Sohal with similar fish and have kept a Sohal & Clown (with an Achilles, same genus---but wussier) for many years prior to Katrina. Minor battle don't really bother me, but tangs can have real death-matches. Usually, maybe a torn fin or two later, the fish will establish who's who. Many hobbyists don't like the threat of all this; IMO, this whole question simply depends on your level of chance-taking. No guarantees with aggressive fish; I've sure seen worse than what you want to do. But, I've lost some fish to taking these chances, but would still do it again. Sorry if this attitude offends anyone, but the reef ain't Disneyland either.

snorvich
09/09/2011, 03:51 PM
Clown tangs are just about the worst choice for a reef fish on so many levels. Its very hard to keep one alive long term, they need an enormous tank (I'm not sure 240 is enough), and they can be among the most aggressive and potentially lethal of all reef fish. Their acanthus is huge and I've read it may be venomous as well and they can inflict grevious wounds with it. This fish does not get mellow with age, its gets even more aggressive and territorial.

I've always wanted one since they are truly among the most beautiful of all reef fishes but I will continue to resist that urge.

That is how I feel as well. Sohals are even worse.

Dave1NC
09/09/2011, 03:52 PM
My Purple is very large so it is very difficult to find a tang bigger than him. The last PB I added died about a month later. He was eating and seemed to survive to initial onslaught from the others. I guess like you said, they are problematic unless they are the biggest fish.

I think you convinced me to go in a different direction versus adding more tangs. Hopefully my next tank will be over 500g and I'll be able to add them all at the same time :).

Kahuna Tuna
09/09/2011, 04:12 PM
double post

Recty
09/09/2011, 06:28 PM

I've always wanted one since they are truly among the most beautiful of all reef fishes but I will continue to resist that urge. Sort of agree with this but sort of not.

The guy has LARGE, existing tangs. If he wants to add a tang, he doesnt want to add a weak, finicky tang.

So sure, for the average person, adding a clown tang might be a mistake but in this guys situation I think it's probably one of the better choices if he wants a tang.

FWIW, I've never seen any evidence whatsoever that a clown tang has a venomous caudal blade, but all your other stuff is true. Of course, most of what you said applies to all tangs, they all get bigger and meaner with age, that isnt a particular trait just of clown tangs. It's just that clown tangs get bigger than most other tangs.

Ideally, dont add more fish to a tank that already has large, territorial, relatively mean fish :)

Toddrtrex
09/09/2011, 06:34 PM
How is his situation better? He already has 3 established tangs, one being a purple tang which is aggressive in its own right; adding a very aggressive and large clown tang is just going to be asking for trouble, IMO/E.

Recty
09/09/2011, 07:19 PM
How is his situation better? He already has 3 established tangs, one being a purple tang which is aggressive in its own right; adding a very aggressive and large clown tang is just going to be asking for trouble, IMO/E. It would probably help if you read my entire post.

I specifically said at the end that ideally he wouldnt add any more fish to the existing setup. I'm not really sure you're doing anything but reiterating what I already said but acting like somehow I didnt say it.

BUT if he was set on adding a tang to the tank, I'd be adding the clown, not a powder blue, which was suggested to him earlier. Of the two fish, imo, the clown tang has the chance of surviving, whereas I would put almost no chance on a smaller powder blue.

I'll say it again though, ideally dont add more fish to a tank that already has large, territorial relatively mean fish!

Toddrtrex
09/09/2011, 09:05 PM
Edit -- forget it, not worth it.

Dave1NC
09/09/2011, 09:27 PM
Agreed. I am just looking for some ideas on what kind of fish you would recommend at this point. Sheesh... :). I mentioned a couple in one of my earlier posts.