PDA

View Full Version : How Large A Tank?

FishDad2
09/09/2011, 12:59 PM
I'm in the process of converting my reef to a fish-only tank...slowly...very slowly.

Once I have all the corals out my plan is to remove all the rock and redo the aquascaping to something that provides more swimming space as opposed to the current layout that's oriented to shelves for corals. Then, once the new aquascaping is in place I plan to introduce some new fish...a big angel, some butterflies, etc. Once the newbies have settled in and everyone is happy I'll re-introduce the old fish. My theory being that by waiting to put the old guys back I reduce the opportunities for aggression and allow the newbies to establish themselves without the constant hassles. I thin the butterflies in particular will appreciate this.

So, this leads to the question...

While I have my tank torn down and am in the process of QT-ing and introducing the new fish, I'll need a place to keep the old ones. Following is the list of fish I have today that will need to have a home outside the main tank for a few months while I make all of the changes to the tank.

Yellow Tang - 1 medium size
Lyretail Anthias - 2 female
Six-Line Wrasse - 1
Royal Gramma - 1
Tomato Clown - 1 med/large
Banggai Cardinal - 1
Longspine Cardinal - 1

Assuming that hiding places won't be difficult to manufacturer with all the live rock I own, the question is what's the minimum size tank you think these guys will handle for 2-3 months until being returned to the main tank (225 gal)?

AlexS95
09/09/2011, 01:48 PM
I'd pick up a 40 Breeder or a 55 from the $/gallon sale at PetCo

FishDad2
09/09/2011, 02:41 PM
In that case, my old 45 high should work fine, which is what I was hoping for and what I figured would do the trick. May need some silicone but that's easy enough to manage.