PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE check out your intended fish purchases here first!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

kainic
11/19/2014, 06:24 AM
Hi,

I have a 60cm*36cm*36cm tank, no sump, good skimmer, 1,5cm sugar sized sand bed , 8kg mixed live/dry rock. My wishlist is:

1x Ocellaris B/W
1x Ocellaris (regular)
1x Pterapogon kauderni
Several soft and LPS corals.

If possible, what fish would you add to those?

Thanks in advance.

snorvich
11/19/2014, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I have a 60cm*36cm*36cm tank, no sump, good skimmer, 1,5cm sugar sized sand bed , 8kg mixed live/dry rock. My wishlist is:

1x Ocellaris B/W
1x Ocellaris (regular)
1x Pterapogon kauderni
Several soft and LPS corals.

If possible, what fish would you add to those?

Thanks in advance.

I would not add additional fish and would stick with the clownfish pair only. Clownfish, once sexually mature, will want to control a larger volume of tank space.

Vilas
11/19/2014, 09:10 AM
Hi!
OK, so after some pondering..
320 gallon mixed reef
Existing..
3 chromis
2 percs
1 African flame back angel
1 blue spotted goby
2 little tidepool gobies
Want to add..
7 anthias
2 tangs - any suggestion on two fairly easy and appropriate two?
1 angel - genicanthus (sp?) Or other fairly reef safe variety
3-4 wrasses
It is hard to find many fish here, so some flexibility is needed. Will I have issues with multiple wrasses? Which tangs will be happy and not fight as much?

snorvich
11/19/2014, 02:53 PM
Hi!
OK, so after some pondering..
320 gallon mixed reef
Existing..
3 chromis
2 percs
1 African flame back angel
1 blue spotted goby
2 little tidepool gobies
Want to add..
7 anthias
2 tangs - any suggestion on two fairly easy and appropriate two? two different Ctenochaetus tangs added concurrently
1 angel - genicanthus (sp?) Or other fairly reef safe variety Genicanthus is mostly reef safe or as much as possible
3-4 wrasses you have leopard wrasses in your locale, females would get along. I do not remember if you have flasher wrasses; they would work
It is hard to find many fish here, so some flexibility is needed. Will I have issues with multiple wrasses? depends on species Which tangs will be happy and not fight as much? Ctenochaetus tangs are easiest

hebus13
11/19/2014, 03:29 PM
50 gallons reef tank 30" x 22" x 18"
Actual population :
- Pair of pink streaked wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)
- Pair of blue stripe pipefish (Doryrhamphys excisus)
- Pair of red fire shrimp (lysmata debelius)

What i would like to add to get an endemic solomon island pop (except shrimp)
- Pair of yellow nose prawn goby (Stonogobiops xanthorhinica) with candy pistol shrimp
- 1 Multibar dwarf angelfish (Paracentropyge multifasciata)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Thomas
What would you think of a pair of stripped fang blenny instead of the angel?

snorvich
11/19/2014, 04:18 PM
What would you think of a pair of stripped fang blenny instead of the angel?

Much better and much more likely to succeed.

vector_int_fish
11/19/2014, 04:42 PM
hello,
I think i have either a 100 or a 110 gallon, 60 x 18 x 24

possible stock list is:
2 Engineer Gobies
1 yellow watchman goby
with 1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 One Spot Blenny or a Horned Blenny
5 Blue Saphire damsel
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1(male) McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
1(male) Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
3 (female) Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
1 Red Stripe Angelfish (aka eibli angel)
1 Bicolor angelfish
1 Tomini Tang
1 yellowhead jawfish

this is what i was thinking but im not sure about compatibility, especially with the damsels. also not sure if this is too many fish. if so what would you suggest eliminating?
thanks for the help.

snorvich
11/19/2014, 04:46 PM
hello,
I think i have either a 100 or a 110 gallon, 60 x 18 x 24

possible stock list is:
2 Engineer Gobies I suspect you would not be pleased with this species in reality
1 yellow watchman goby
with 1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 One Spot Blenny or a Horned Blenny
5 Blue Saphire damsel I would avoid; they can become very aggressive
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1(male) McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
1(male) Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
3 (female) Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
1 Red Stripe Angelfish (aka eibli angel)
1 Bicolor angelfish
1 Tomini Tang
1 yellowhead jawfish

this is what i was thinking but im not sure about compatibility, especially with the damsels. also not sure if this is too many fish. if so what would you suggest eliminating?
thanks for the help.

Except as annotated, the plan would be fine

vector_int_fish
11/19/2014, 04:50 PM
thanks for the input, since the damsel should be avoided, im looking for some sort of grouping fish that is small. any ideas? ideally in a group of 5 or so.

snorvich
11/19/2014, 04:53 PM
thanks for the input, since the damsel should be avoided, im looking for some sort of grouping fish that is small. any ideas? ideally in a group of 5 or so.

Nearly everyone wants that. Unfortunately, in our aquaria that does not happen. Multiples diminish over time. Best chance is a harem of female flasher wrasses, but they will not aggregate (what most people think of as shoaling or schooling)

vector_int_fish
11/19/2014, 05:06 PM
what about chromis, or cardinal fish, or chalk bass? would any of those work?

snorvich
11/19/2014, 05:07 PM
what about chromis, or cardinal fish, or chalk bass? would any of those work?

Chromis reduce their number to one over time, cardinal fish pair off, chalk bass will work but not shoal.

vector_int_fish
11/19/2014, 06:08 PM
maybe group is the wrong word. i am looking for fish that will generally stay near each other, but don't have to always.

snorvich
11/19/2014, 08:11 PM
maybe group is the wrong word. i am looking for fish that will generally stay near each other, but don't have to always.

Sorry, I am unable to help you with that.

devimik
11/19/2014, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devimik http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23257132#post23257132)
Hi Steve,

I have a 90g with about 150lbs of rock - stocked currently with a Kole Tang, Tricolor Wrasse, Royal Gramma, two O. Clowns and a Yellow Watchman Goby. These fish have all been in the tank for 2 years.

I'm contemplating adding a Purple Firefish. Do you see any issues with that? I know the Kole is supposed to be the last fish, and it was, so not sure how the Firefish would be treated if added.

Thanks!

should be fine. The kole tang and firefish are in totally different ecological niches.

Ok, one more question - do you think it would be ok to add, in addition to the firefish, a female Tricolor Wrasse?

mpderksen
11/20/2014, 01:01 AM
I read your comments daily, and have learned a great deal. After a while, I've notice a lot of posts/questions fall into a few categories. The 2 most common responses I see for you are, "needs a bigger (or MUCH bigger), tank", and incompatibilities of competing for ecological niches. While asking if Someone can put a hippo tang in their desktop nano is simply laziness, given the even LA offers recommendations that are fairly reasonable, properly filling a tank that doesn't have conflicts due to the ecological niches are less obvious.
I'm wondering if there is a sticky for this that I have not seen. Some sort of general summary of sub groups could be a place of reference to could direct people to.
Your advice and assistance to the hobby cannot be over-stated, and asking for even MORE shouldn't be taken as anything more than respect for you knowledge. I'm keen to research prior to purchasing and would find this helpful. As I start yet another tank, I would look for a blend of: jumpers vs. non, herbivores, pod eaters, etc. fish that are aggressive to con-specifics, reef-safe vs risky.
I can't even imagine a format, but I'm thinking that, in the long run, a resource like this could be a time saver for you.
Just my post-wine ramblings, perhaps.....

JoelA7
11/20/2014, 01:12 AM
Hi Steve,

Would a Hutchii Anthias (male) coexist with a male (or females) of other Anthias?

Thank you.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devimik http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23257132#post23257132)
Hi Steve,

I have a 90g with about 150lbs of rock - stocked currently with a Kole Tang, Tricolor Wrasse, Royal Gramma, two O. Clowns and a Yellow Watchman Goby. These fish have all been in the tank for 2 years.

I'm contemplating adding a Purple Firefish. Do you see any issues with that? I know the Kole is supposed to be the last fish, and it was, so not sure how the Firefish would be treated if added.

Thanks!

Ok, one more question - do you think it would be ok to add, in addition to the firefish, a female Tricolor Wrasse?

If you are sure it is a female C. solorensis, it would be fine.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 06:28 AM
I read your comments daily, and have learned a great deal. After a while, I've notice a lot of posts/questions fall into a few categories. The 2 most common responses I see for you are, "needs a bigger (or MUCH bigger), tank", and incompatibilities of competing for ecological niches. While asking if Someone can put a hippo tang in their desktop nano is simply laziness, given the even LA offers recommendations that are fairly reasonable, properly filling a tank that doesn't have conflicts due to the ecological niches are less obvious.
I'm wondering if there is a sticky for this that I have not seen. Some sort of general summary of sub groups could be a place of reference to could direct people to.
Your advice and assistance to the hobby cannot be over-stated, and asking for even MORE shouldn't be taken as anything more than respect for you knowledge. I'm keen to research prior to purchasing and would find this helpful. As I start yet another tank, I would look for a blend of: jumpers vs. non, herbivores, pod eaters, etc. fish that are aggressive to con-specifics, reef-safe vs risky.
I can't even imagine a format, but I'm thinking that, in the long run, a resource like this could be a time saver for you.
Just my post-wine ramblings, perhaps.....

It would be nice if there could be a sticky (I wrote a lot of them for fish diseases where it is possible) but unfortunately, this threaqd is somewhat of an art form: there are a huge number of variables, not the least of which are tank size, tank length, order of addition, etc. Many have tried to create a compatibility chart, but since they are limited to two dimensions it has helped but not really been definitive.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 06:28 AM
Hi Steve,

Would a Hutchii Anthias (male) coexist with a male (or females) of other Anthias?

Thank you.

depends on species. Some mix well, others do not.

Overt
11/20/2014, 07:21 AM
Hi thanks in advance! 175 display with 100 sump and 100 refugium
Am I already in a jam with the current fish in the tank?

1 yellow tang

1 butterfly (black-white-yellow)

1 purple dottyback

7 cobalt blue damsels

1 clown

1 diamond goby

snorvich
11/20/2014, 07:52 AM
Hi thanks in advance! 175 display with 100 sump and 100 refugium
Am I already in a jam with the current fish in the tank?

1 yellow tang this fish will not take kindly to most additions

1 butterfly (black-white-yellow)

1 purple dottyback this fish will not take kindly to many additions

7 cobalt blue damsels these fish will not take kindly to many additions

1 clown depending on species, this fish will not take kindly to some additions

1 diamond goby

kainic
11/20/2014, 09:01 AM
I would not add additional fish and would stick with the clownfish pair only. Clownfish, once sexually mature, will want to control a larger volume of tank space.
Would it be possible to keep a single ocellaris with the aforemented kauderni and a Nemateleotris magnifica?

I'm looking for a small livestock but including at least 1 ocellaris and 1 kauderni.

Is the ocellaris problem related to having a pair or to the fish itself?

Many thanks.

devimik
11/20/2014, 11:54 AM
If you are sure it is a female C. solorensis, it would be fine.

I'm looking on Live Aquaria and they list a medium sized female C. Solorensis - says female subadult. Is it possible these are juveniles that will turn into males?

cooter181
11/20/2014, 01:06 PM
Hi Snorvich,

First of all, thank you for your awesome attitude and helpfulness in such a debated topic, many a reefers have benefited I'm sure.

On to my question. As far as I've been able to tell, the Halichoeres family are completely compatible, one with another. If so, how many do you think would be good in a 150G 60"X24"X24"? The only other fish being a very peaceful pair of breeding Picasso's I've had for 3+ years in my 90G.

Thanks for your help kind Sir!

Zswift
11/20/2014, 01:51 PM
48"x24"x24" DT
40 breeder sump

Lamarck Angelfish female
2 class A Davinci Clownfish
Starry Benny
3-5 Bartletts anthias
Purple tang

Possibly a shrimp and goby pair.

Is this okay?

snorvich
11/20/2014, 03:10 PM
Would it be possible to keep a single ocellaris with the aforemented kauderni and a Nemateleotris magnifica?

I'm looking for a small livestock but including at least 1 ocellaris and 1 kauderni.

Is the ocellaris problem related to having a pair or to the fish itself?

Many thanks.

A single clownfish will become female over time and want to control your entire (small) tank. As such, I do not recommend three fish in this sized tank if one is a clownfish.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 03:12 PM
I'm looking on Live Aquaria and they list a medium sized female C. Solorensis - says female subadult. Is it possible these are juveniles that will turn into males?

Live Aquaria is pretty good at classification. However, if they have a similar species which is a juvenile and it becomes a male, there may be issues or worse, if the classification is correct and it is a juvenile, it may become male, or try to.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 03:14 PM
Hi Snorvich,

First of all, thank you for your awesome attitude and helpfulness in such a debated topic, many a reefers have benefited I'm sure.

On to my question. As far as I've been able to tell, the Halichoeres family are completely compatible, one with another. If so, how many do you think would be good in a 150G 60"X24"X24"? The only other fish being a very peaceful pair of breeding Picasso's I've had for 3+ years in my 90G.

Thanks for your help kind Sir!

Always a pleasure. Well, it depends. If you are trying to get one or more females to match an existing male, I am guessing that three would be fine. If you are talking about 3 different species, three is fine.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 03:15 PM
48"x24"x24" DT
40 breeder sump

Lamarck Angelfish female
2 class A Davinci Clownfish
Starry Benny
3-5 Bartletts anthias
Purple tang

Possibly a shrimp and goby pair.

Is this okay?

should be fine; add the tang last. Those anthias have a propensity for becoming all male so a different species might be better. Anthias do best with multiple feedings per day.

kainic
11/20/2014, 03:36 PM
A single clownfish will become female over time and want to control your entire (small) tank. As such, I do not recommend three fish in this sized tank if one is a clownfish.
Thank you snorvich, you are really helpful.
I'll go for the clown pair. More reasons to go a bigger tank in a near future.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 03:38 PM
Thank you snorvich, you are really helpful.
I'll go for the clown pair. More reasons to go a bigger tank in a near future.

Fixed that for you!! :spin1:

DrBoxedWine
11/20/2014, 05:44 PM
Hi Snorvich,

I've talked with him you multiple times about my 75g stock list, and you had recommended a firefish goby. I got one and he's doing great, but last night I picked up another fish and I got to talking with the employee at the Lfs. He said firefish do great in pairs. I feel like I've heard they won't get along in a smaller tank like mine. Do you think 2 would be friends in a 75g? I also have a Kole tang, coral beauty, bicolor blenny, flame hawk, 2 clowns, and a one spot foxface.

cooter181
11/20/2014, 06:19 PM
Always a pleasure. Well, it depends. If you are trying to get one or more females to match an existing male, I am guessing that three would be fine. If you are talking about 3 different species, three is fine.

All different species and as many as I could possibly have lol. So you think 3 would be the limit in a 150?

sbash
11/20/2014, 07:32 PM
I have a 65 gallon reef tank (36"L x 18"W x 24"H).

I Currently have:
Ocellaris Clownfish (Pair)
Blue/Green Chromis

Looking to add:
Neon Blenny
Dottyback
Pair of Bangaii Cardinal
Fairy Wrasse
Firefish
Yellow Tail Damsel

Aside from the cardinals, they will all be single fish. How does that look? The type of Dottyback and Wrasse will depend on what I can get locally. Your input is appreciated.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 07:33 PM
Hi Snorvich,

I've talked with him you multiple times about my 75g stock list, and you had recommended a firefish goby. I got one and he's doing great, but last night I picked up another fish and I got to talking with the employee at the Lfs. He said firefish do great in pairs. I feel like I've heard they won't get along in a smaller tank like mine. Do you think 2 would be friends in a 75g? I also have a Kole tang, coral beauty, bicolor blenny, flame hawk, 2 clowns, and a one spot foxface.

Firefish will not get along in pairs. They will do ok for a while, then one will intimidate the other into starving to death.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 07:34 PM
All different species and as many as I could possibly have lol. So you think 3 would be the limit in a 150?

I hate to load too many fish in the same ecological niche. I would guess that three is the best maximum.

snorvich
11/20/2014, 07:36 PM
I have a 65 gallon reef tank (36"L x 18"W x 24"H).

I Currently have:
Ocellaris Clownfish (Pair)
Blue/Green Chromis

Looking to add:
Neon Blenny
Dottyback Not with a fairy wrasse and probably not with a firefish
Pair of Bangaii Cardinal
Fairy Wrasse depends on species
Firefish
Yellow Tail Damsel

Aside from the cardinals, they will all be single fish. How does that look? The type of Dottyback and Wrasse will depend on what I can get locally. Your input is appreciated.

sbash
11/20/2014, 07:49 PM
Okay, I will drop the Dottyback then... Thanks!

JoelA7
11/21/2014, 01:53 AM
Hi Steve,

Posted earlier:

Hi Steve,

You needed more specifics. I'm thinking a Disbar or Randall's. Thank you.

snorvich
11/21/2014, 06:29 AM
Hi Steve,

Posted earlier:

Hi Steve,

You needed more specifics. I'm thinking a Disbar or Randall's. Thank you.

Should be fine. Remember multiple feedings per day are best.

DrBoxedWine
11/21/2014, 07:16 AM
Firefish will not get along in pairs. They will do ok for a while, then one will intimidate the other into starving to death.
Thanks!

QuiGonJay
11/21/2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks again for all the great advice. I have a 30 gallon with about 25 pounds of live rock. Currently a striped blenny and watchman goby along with cleanup crew are there. Was thinking of adding one more 'water column' fish but must be captive bred. Bandai cardinal is my thought, afraid any other goby or blenny would conflict with existing crew. Would 1 or 2 cardinals be appropriate for such a small tank? Thanks

snorvich
11/21/2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks again for all the great advice. I have a 30 gallon with about 25 pounds of live rock. Currently a striped blenny and watchman goby along with cleanup crew are there. Was thinking of adding one more 'water column' fish but must be captive bred. Bandai cardinal is my thought, afraid any other goby or blenny would conflict with existing crew. Would 1 or 2 cardinals be appropriate for such a small tank? Thanks

A pair of tank raised Banggai cardinals would be fine; insure that you have a male plus female.

JoelA7
11/21/2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks Steve.

fessoclown
11/21/2014, 09:57 AM
HI there, my tank is about 130 Gallons- 80x20x20 - (with sump about 160 G)
current stock is:

Redfin Wasp fish
pair of black snowflake clowns
3 PJ cardinals
2 chromis
Flame Hawkfish
Hippo Tang
MIdas Blennie
Firefish goby
ORA Orchid Dottyback

I have the chance to get a Red Sea Mimic Blenny. Will this be a problem with my Midas Blenny... it is still very small? Is there any other kind of Blenny that would do OK with the Midas?
Thanks in advance!

snorvich
11/21/2014, 10:03 AM
HI there, my tank is about 130 Gallons- 80x20x20 - (with sump about 160 G)
current stock is:

Redfin Wasp fish
pair of black snowflake clowns
3 PJ cardinals
2 chromis
Flame Hawkfish
Hippo Tang needs a much larger tank
MIdas Blennie
Firefish goby
ORA Orchid Dottyback

I have the chance to get a Red Sea Mimic Blenny. Will this be a problem with my Midas Blenny? Is there any other kind of Blenny that would do OK with the Midas? I would not try any blenny with the Midas blenny. As it is, Midas blennies sometimes nip the fins of planktivores
Thanks in advance!

rishu_pepper
11/21/2014, 01:27 PM
Getting an established tank from a local. Tank is 90 gallon (48x18x24) with a 30 gallon sump, mixed reef with corals/anemone in place already. There will be a new sandbed around 1" (currently bare bottom). It runs on a Vertex in180. Current livestock:

2x blue chromi
lawnmower blenny
cinnamon clown
tomato clown (this will likely be moved to my 30 gallon in hopes of pairing it an existing tomato in it)
grey eyed moray eel 2'
sea urchin 6"
cleaner shrimp
fire red shrimp
bunch of hermit crabs

(are there anything in there I should remove/sell/drop off to LFS? I'm on the fence about the eel, he looks funny as hell but I'm worried about the bioload. He's lived in it a long time and grew a lot, according to the owner. Also the urchin takes up quite a bit of space, is it a useful part of the system?)

Aside from adding a good amount of CUC to help out, the wife and I are planning to add some more livestock:

abalone
flame angel (I assume this will go in last?)
pair of percula clowns (wife wants to breed clowns, will this be possible? There's a 1' wide sebae anemone and a small RBTA)
goby and shrimp combo

Any other suggestions? I was thinking a reef safe wrasse of some sort, and maybe a dottyback? I guess tangs are out because a 4' is not long enough, or are there acceptable species that will be suitable for this tank? Not too sure about other species of fish/inverts. What are some interesting fish with personality? :)

How much time should each addition be staggered between each other?

snorvich
11/21/2014, 02:55 PM
Getting an established tank from a local. Tank is 90 gallon (48x18x24) with a 30 gallon sump, mixed reef with corals/anemone in place already. There will be a new sandbed around 1" (currently bare bottom). It runs on a Vertex in180. Current livestock:

2x blue chromi
lawnmower blenny
cinnamon clown
tomato clown (this will likely be moved to my 30 gallon in hopes of pairing it an existing tomato in it) long term a pair of the same species of clownfish is more desirable; however a pair of tomato clowns is on the aggressive side once mating
grey eyed moray eel 2' I am not big on community tanks with eels because they are messy and because they can be pretty aggressive
sea urchin 6" I am not a big believer in urchins despite having a few tuxedo urchins in my large tanks
cleaner shrimp
fire red shrimp
bunch of hermit crabs I prefer various snail types rather than hermits

(are there anything in there I should remove/sell/drop off to LFS? I'm on the fence about the eel, he looks funny as hell but I'm worried about the bioload. He's lived in it a long time and grew a lot, according to the owner. Also the urchin takes up quite a bit of space, is it a useful part of the system?)

Aside from adding a good amount of CUC to help out, the wife and I are planning to add some more livestock:

abalone this is a cool water animal not consistent with the animals you have
flame angel (I assume this will go in last?)
pair of percula clowns (wife wants to breed clowns, will this be possible? not with existing clownfish There's a 1' wide sebae anemone and a small RBTA)
goby and shrimp combo

Any other suggestions? I was thinking a reef safe wrasse of some sort excellent idea, flashers are excellent, and maybe a dottyback aggressive; I do not recommend as it limits tank mates going forward ? I guess tangs are out because a 4' is not long enough, or are there acceptable species yes, kole tangs and others of that family would work that will be suitable for this tank? Not too sure about other species of fish/inverts. What are some interesting fish with personality? :)

How much time should each addition be staggered between each other? I suggest a quarantine protocol of tank transfer (12 days) and at least 3 weeks additional observation

rishu_pepper
11/21/2014, 05:03 PM
Thank you so much Snorvich! You've given me a lot of good things to ponder about. I'll probably let go of some of the existing livestock as you suggested. They'll find a good home somewhere or at our good LFS.

Will look for other fish in the meantime.

Any other that I didn't mention would be nice additions to the tank? Nothing too difficult to take care of, I am admittedly a beginner aquarist. Thanks again!

snorvich
11/21/2014, 06:33 PM
Thank you so much Snorvich! You've given me a lot of good things to ponder about. I'll probably let go of some of the existing livestock as you suggested. They'll find a good home somewhere or at our good LFS.

Will look for other fish in the meantime.

Any other that I didn't mention would be nice additions to the tank? Nothing too difficult to take care of, I am admittedly a beginner aquarist. Thanks again!

I never provide recommendations for a variety of reasons. I would prefer that you develop some research skills and then I would be more than happy to review and comment on any stocking plan. (Always provide tank size and total stocking plan)

rishu_pepper
11/21/2014, 07:31 PM
I never provide recommendations for a variety of reasons. I would prefer that you develop some research skills and then I would be more than happy to review and comment on any stocking plan. (Always provide tank size and total stocking plan)

Ah fair enough. I'll give it some thought and research and come back with a few more additions. :wave:

Mark_C
11/22/2014, 09:08 AM
Hi again Steve.
Just modified my purchase list. Tank cycled, cuc been working for a week, all good to go.
Also, your advice weighed on me and I've banished the crabs to the fuge.
Want a peaceful tank, its going to be as much about the corals as the fish.
Its a 40b.

Was thinking this, in order...
1 reef chromis
1 midas blenny
2 O. clowns
1 court jester goby
1 yellowtail damselfish (maybe)
1 chalk bass
1 firefish

As always, thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Cheers,
Mark

snorvich
11/22/2014, 10:21 AM
Hi again Steve.
Just modified my purchase list. Tank cycled, cuc been working for a week, all good to go.
Also, your advice weighed on me and I've banished the crabs to the fuge.
Want a peaceful tank, its going to be as much about the corals as the fish.
Its a 40b.

Was thinking this, in order...
1 reef chromis
1 midas blenny
2 O. clowns
1 court jester goby
1 yellowtail damselfish (maybe) Pretty but aggressive plus your list is a bit full to also add this fish
1 chalk bass
1 firefish

As always, thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Cheers,
Mark

Except as noted, should be fine

nofear31
11/22/2014, 07:18 PM
I asked in a previous post regarding getting rid of my is line and using a carpenters flasher instead. Question is, they won't flash unless there is a female correct? How many females would work with a single male in a 75 gallon tank? Or would it be better to put in another male flasher wrasse? And if a different wrasse what would you suggest to give me a starting point on what would not fight each other? Also, thinking of not getting and angel but instead would it be possible to keep a yellow tang and tomini tang as long as the yellow is bought very young. I have lots of swimming room in the tang with room between two rock structure front, back and side to side

Just to recap wish list
In tank
Occelaris clowns x2
Six line (going soon)
Royal gramma

Wanting
Carpenters wrasse
Bicolor/black combtooth blenny
Clown goby
Neon goby x2
Diamond spotted goby
Tomini/yellow tang or both (last to add)

Thanks
Ben

snorvich
11/22/2014, 09:14 PM
I asked in a previous post regarding getting rid of my is line and using a carpenters flasher instead. Question is, they won't flash unless there is a female correct? How many females would work with a single male in a 75 gallon tank? Or would it be better to put in another male flasher wrasse? either a female of the same species or a male of a different species would work and cause flashing

And if a different wrasse what would you suggest to give me a starting point on what would not fight each other? Also, thinking of not getting and angel but instead would it be possible to keep a yellow tang and tomini tang as long as the yellow is bought very young. I have lots of swimming room in the tang with room between two rock structure front, back and side to side

Just to recap wish list
In tank
Occelaris clowns x2
Six line (going soon) Must go before flasher wrasse is introduced
Royal gramma

Wanting
Carpenters wrasse
Bicolor/black combtooth blenny
Clown goby
Neon goby x2 only one
Diamond spotted goby
Tomini/yellow tang or both (last to add) only one tang, tomini is preferred

Thanks
Ben

formsix
11/23/2014, 09:18 AM
Hi Steve! I love my tank (thanks again for your earlier help!) and think I have the hang of how to stock, but really like that I can run things by you before adding any new additions. And right now my issue is that I'm not sure how close to capacity I am.

Tank is ~75 gallons (48x22x16) with a 40b sump.

Current inhabitants:
Royal Gramma
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (female, but may be just starting to transition)
2 Ocellaris Clowns (paired)
Carberryi Anthias (love this fish!!)
Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis, female)
Starry Blenny

Potential additions:
Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) -- could a pair work in this size tank?
Midas Blenny
Second Female Leopard Wrasse.... possibly a Kuiter's if I can find one. Or a tamarin wrasse. Not actively looking, but if I happened to see a healthy specimen at a local fish store... Oh, and my current leopard eats pods of course, and frozen food readily. I don't think she's put too much of a dent in my overall pod population yet, and I'm adding more rock rubble to my sump to increase pod production, but I wouldn't add another leopard until I'm sure it would get a fair share of pods in the DT.

I think for sure I can add one valencienna goby, as I have no sand-dwelling fish. Just not sure how close to capacity I am for any other fish. Thanks!!

sealtea116
11/23/2014, 09:39 AM
I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank with a aqua clear 70 filter 40 pounds of live rock and 30 pounds of live sand i have so frags of coral and im looking to get some fish. I am new to this hobby and i would like to start the quarantine stage for a fish so in 4 weeks i can put it into my tank. What is best to start with and should i wait till corals are fully grown.

Thanks

snorvich
11/23/2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Steve! I love my tank (thanks again for your earlier help!) and think I have the hang of how to stock, but really like that I can run things by you before adding any new additions. And right now my issue is that I'm not sure how close to capacity I am.

Tank is ~75 gallons (48x22x16) with a 40b sump.

Current inhabitants:
Royal Gramma
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (female, but may be just starting to transition)
2 Ocellaris Clowns (paired)
Carberryi Anthias (love this fish!!)
Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis, female)
Starry Blenny

Potential additions:
Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) -- could a pair work in this size tank? One is fine, be sure to pair with alpheus randal pistol shrimp
Midas Blenny no
Second Female Leopard Wrasse.... possibly a Kuiter's if I can find one. Or a tamarin wrasse.

a second copepod grazer in this sized tank would be really pushing it to the detriment of one or both

Not actively looking, but if I happened to see a healthy specimen at a local fish store... Oh, and my current leopard eats pods of course, and frozen food readily. I don't think she's put too much of a dent in my overall pod population yet, and I'm adding more rock rubble to my sump to increase pod production, but I wouldn't add another leopard until I'm sure it would get a fair share of pods in the DT.

I think for sure I can add one valencienna goby, as I have no sand-dwelling fish. Just not sure how close to capacity I am for any other fish. Thanks!!

"capacity" is determined by many things including the number of fish in the same ecological niche, behavioral issues caused by territorial imperatives, and bioload. You have "room" for a couple of smallish well behaved fish as long as you do not add to the copepod grazing ecological niche.

snorvich
11/23/2014, 10:15 AM
I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank with a aqua clear 70 filter 40 pounds of live rock and 30 pounds of live sand i have so frags of coral and im looking to get some fish. I am new to this hobby and i would like to start the quarantine stage for a fish so in 4 weeks i can put it into my tank. What is best to start with and should i wait till corals are fully grown.

Thanks

[welcome]

While I do not provide recommendations for a variety of reasons, I am always happy to review stocking plans for compatibility with each other and the environment you are providing.

rishu_pepper
11/23/2014, 06:36 PM
To continue on the last list, here are some updates:

current livestock:

2x blue chromi
lawnmower blenny
cinnamon clown (removed)
tomato clown (stayed for now)
grey eyed moray eel 2'
sea urchin 6"
cleaner shrimp
fire red shrimp
bunch of hermit crabs

just added:

a few astreas and tophats
anemone shrimp

Wife wants:

a goby/shrimp pair, perhaps something like orange spotted goby + tiger pistol shrimp (will they pair?)
bicolor blenny
flame angel (this will be the last addition)

Me considering:

Richmond's wrasse
hooded fairy wrasse
labouti wrasse
Christmas wrasse
bird wrasse
blue throat trigger (male)

*I will not buy so many wrasses, maximum of two?

Feel free to critique/smash :hammer: my list :)

snorvich
11/23/2014, 06:47 PM
To continue on the last list, here are some updates:

current livestock:

2x blue chromi
lawnmower blenny
cinnamon clown (removed)
tomato clown (stayed for now)
grey eyed moray eel 2'
sea urchin 6"
cleaner shrimp
fire red shrimp
bunch of hermit crabs

just added:

a few astreas and tophats
anemone shrimp

Wife wants:

a goby/shrimp pair, perhaps something like orange spotted goby + tiger pistol shrimp (will they pair?) should be fine; they will pair
bicolor blenny I would not add a second blenny
flame angel (this will be the last addition)fine

Me considering:

Richmond's wrasse Halichoeres are peaceful but not invert safe
hooded fairy wrasse
labouti wrasse
Christmas wrasse Halichoeres are peaceful but not invert safe
bird wrasse no
blue throat trigger (male) not invert safe

*I will not buy so many wrasses, maximum of two?

Feel free to critique/smash :hammer: my list :)

flasher wrasses would be ok and invert safe. I prefer not to really give definitive assessments with that eel in the tank. That is simply too unpredictable a circumstance.

rishu_pepper
11/23/2014, 08:03 PM
flasher wrasses would be ok and invert safe. I prefer not to really give definitive assessments with that eel in the tank. That is simply too unpredictable a circumstance.

By "not invert safe", do you mean the specified species will attack/eat the shrimps in the tank?

snorvich
11/23/2014, 09:04 PM
By "not invert safe", do you mean the specified species will attack/eat the shrimps in the tank?

Correct, although not only shrimp

rishu_pepper
11/23/2014, 09:48 PM
Correct, although not only shrimp

Are there any reef safe triggers that I can keep? Or should I just move on and look at other fish?

snorvich
11/24/2014, 06:15 AM
Are there any reef safe triggers that I can keep? Or should I just move on and look at other fish?

there are not.

iced98lx
11/24/2014, 09:57 AM
Steve, thank you again for providing this service.

Getting my 180 running, looking at stocking options. Mixed Reef, lots of open water in the aquascape. My want list includes:

Black Oc. Clown pair (Currently in BioCube, so must move with me:))
3/5/7 Anthias (unsure of genus, looking at Pseudanthias dispar 6 females 1 male perhaps)
Shrimp/Goby Combination (YWG / Pistol Shrimp)
Banggai Cardinalfish (3-4?)
Yellow or Black Tang
Purple Tang

Thanks!

rishu_pepper
11/24/2014, 10:23 AM
there are not.

Ah that settles it. :(

On the other hand, are there any similar, yet reef-safe fish that are comparable to triggers?

snorvich
11/24/2014, 10:23 AM

Getting my 180 running, looking at stocking options. Mixed Reef, lots of open water in the aquascape. My want list includes:

Black Oc. Clown pair (Currently in BioCube, so must move with me:))
3/5/7 Anthias (unsure of genus, looking at Pseudanthias dispar 6 females 1 male perhaps)
Banggai Cardinalfish (3-4?) Only a tank bred male plus female. In a six foot tank, you might get away with two pairs but it is not a guaranteed thing
Yellow or Black Tang two zebrasoma tangs should ideally be introduced concurrently; yellow, black, and purple are all zebrasoma
Purple Tang

Thanks!

Always a pleasure

snorvich
11/24/2014, 10:25 AM
Ah that settles it. :(

On the other hand, are there any similar, yet reef-safe fish that are comparable to triggers?

I would need to understand what you mean by "comparable".

rishu_pepper
11/24/2014, 10:37 AM
I would need to understand what you mean by "comparable".

Hmm. Similar appearance, personality/nature? I looked at triggers in the first place because of their unique appearance and their personality seems nice (correct me if I am wrong).

snorvich
11/24/2014, 10:43 AM
Hmm. Similar appearance, personality/nature? I looked at triggers in the first place because of their unique appearance and their personality seems nice (correct me if I am wrong).

All triggers are aggressive. Some triggers are incredibly aggressive. None are reef safe. There is no similar species type. And your tank is not really large enough for large fish.

rishu_pepper
11/24/2014, 11:53 AM
All triggers are aggressive. Some triggers are incredibly aggressive. None are reef safe. There is no similar species type. And your tank is not really large enough for large fish.

Fair enough. I'll look elsewhere :) Thanks for your advice, Steve, you potentially saved me hundreds of dollars and hours of trouble.

Itchy Trigger
11/24/2014, 03:38 PM
Will be setting up a 90g in the early part of 2015 and toying around with stock ideas. Would like to keep a Russell's lionfish as the focal point, and a few other fish as well. I plan to keep mostly LPS, coral-wise, and will leave a lot of open space. Here's a proposed stock list:

1. Russell's Lionfish
2. Bicolor Goatfish
3. Bristletooth Tang
4. possibly a snowflake eel

i know the key is finding fish that will be big enough not to be eaten by the lionfish, but also mellow enough to not pick on it. In a 90g tank that rules out most fish, but these are some of the only ones that seem like they might work. Or will they? :)

snorvich
11/24/2014, 03:47 PM
Will be setting up a 90g in the early part of 2015 and toying around with stock ideas. Would like to keep a Russell's lionfish as the focal point, and a few other fish as well. I plan to keep mostly LPS, coral-wise, and will leave a lot of open space. Here's a proposed stock list:

1. Russell's Lionfish
2. Bicolor Goatfish
3. Bristletooth Tang
4. possibly a snowflake eel

i know the key is finding fish that will be big enough not to be eaten by the lionfish, but also mellow enough to not pick on it. In a 90g tank that rules out most fish, but these are some of the only ones that seem like they might work. Or will they? :)

I do not normally provide analysis on aggressive fish community tanks where one or more inhabitant can consume its tank mates. The lionfish will be able to consume the tang at some point.

Itchy Trigger
11/24/2014, 04:02 PM
I do not normally provide analysis on aggressive fish community tanks where one or more inhabitant can consume its tank mates. The lionfish will be able to consume the tang at some point.

Ah, ok. No worries, will post in the aggressive fish section. Thanks!

rowanpks
11/24/2014, 09:10 PM
I have a 90 gallon with 20 gallon sump. 80lbs live sand, 80lbs live rock, 150 reef octopus, and 4 powerheads on wavemaker.

Clown Goby
Ocellaris Clownfish, 2
Bluespotted Watchman Goby
Green Chromis 3
Royal Gramma Basslet
Kole Tang
Firefish

snorvich
11/24/2014, 09:14 PM
I have a 90 gallon with 20 gallon sump. 80lbs live sand, 80lbs live rock, 150 reef octopus, and 4 powerheads on wavemaker.

Clown Goby
Ocellaris Clownfish, 2
Bluespotted Watchman Goby
Green Chromis 3 will become one over time
Royal Gramma Basslet
Kole Tang
Firefish

fine except as annotated

rowanpks
11/24/2014, 09:24 PM
fine except as annotated

Really should I go with more or just one?

snorvich
11/24/2014, 09:26 PM
Really should I go with more or just one?

If you must have chromis, go with only one. However, be very careful as this species is highly susceptible to uronema marinum so a good quarantine protocol is highly desirable.

rowanpks
11/24/2014, 09:43 PM
If you must have chromis, go with only one. However, be very careful as this species is highly susceptible to uronema marinum so a good quarantine protocol is highly desirable.

Okay thank you!

izzyish
11/25/2014, 01:53 PM
Snorvich, about a month ago I bought 3 lyretails. Had to remove one of my females because she started fighting with the male. So now I'm left with one male and one female. I'll be purchasing 3 Bartlett females for my next fish. I've read to only keep one male in one tank. Since there's already a lyretail male, will the female Bartletts ever turn male or stay female since there's already a male in there? Or does the one male per tank rule only apply per species? TIA!

snorvich
11/25/2014, 02:02 PM
Snorvich, about a month ago I bought 3 lyretails. Had to remove one of my females because she started fighting with the male. So now I'm left with one male and one female. I'll be purchasing 3 Bartlett females for my next fish. I've read to only keep one male in one tank. Since there's already a lyretail male, will the female Bartletts ever turn male or stay female since there's already a male in there? Or does the one male per tank rule only apply per species? TIA!

Tank size (especially tank length)? You probably would not believe it, but it does make a difference.

izzyish
11/25/2014, 02:15 PM
Tank size (especially tank length)? You probably would not believe it, but it does make a difference.

Oops sorry,

5' 120g

snorvich
11/25/2014, 02:22 PM
Oops sorry,

5' 120g

You can have multiple males in longish tanks (I have them in an 8 foot tank) and they will "herd" their females and keep them isolated from the "other" male. In a 5 foot tank, two males of different species will probably coexist.

lee williams
11/25/2014, 03:04 PM
Hi i have a 2ft tank how many fish could a put in only wanting clowns and maybe a box puffer if i can andvsoft corals ehat would my limit be
Thanks lee

snorvich
11/25/2014, 03:05 PM
Hi i have a 2ft tank how many fish could a put in only wanting clowns and maybe a box puffer if i can andvsoft corals ehat would my limit be
Thanks lee

fish wise, a pair of clownfish would be all that it would handle.

lee williams
11/25/2014, 03:17 PM
Ok thanks if i was to go up to a 32in tank would that alow me one more fish or would it still be to if i have some clean up crew ? What is the limit with corals ?

snorvich
11/25/2014, 03:21 PM
Ok thanks if i was to go up to a 32in tank would that alow me one more fish or would it still be to if i have some clean up crew ? What is the limit with corals ?

While beyond the subject of this thread, which is marine fish compatibility, corals do not use biocapacity. However, they have behavioral issues that come into play with proximity to other corals.

A 32 inch tank would allow for a couple of well behaved small fish in addition to the pair of clownfish.

lee williams
11/25/2014, 03:24 PM
Ok thanks ones again

Jeff210
11/25/2014, 06:28 PM
Hey Steve,

Tank has been up for 4 months and is 72x24x25 with 120 lbs of live rock and a 2" sand bed in the display and a 3" sandbed in the sump/fuge w/an additional 20 lbs of live rock rubble coming this week to start curing/cycling and added to the sump. In addition, the ubiquitous ball of chaeto in the fuge.

Currently have a Vertex 180i skimmer which will be upgraded to a 200i as bioload increases. 2 MP40's currently running with a Gyre that I will be receiving and installing this week. I run GFO and GAC 24/7 and have a 40 watt UV that I will be receiving and installing this week.

Current tank inhabitants:

2 - Columbian/Black Fin Catshark (Adult)
1 - Desjardini Tang (Adult)
1 - Banana Wrasse (Adult)
1 - Clarkii Clown (Adult)
2 - Boxfish (Adult)
1 - Volitans Lion (~5")
1 - Emperor Angel (Juvenile)
1 - Goldflake Angel (Juvenile)
1 - Watchman Goby (Juvenile)

Possible immediate addition (from my 65 gal FOWLR):

1 - 3 Spot Domino Damsel (Adult)

Possible future additions:

1 - Clarkii Clown (pair w/existing and possible hosting by RBTA)
1 - Harlequin Tusk
1 - Achilles Tang
2 - Cleaner Wrasse

Many thanks in advance for the invaluable service that you provide here...

Jeff

snorvich
11/25/2014, 07:52 PM
Hey Steve,

Tank has been up for 4 months and is 72x24x25 with 120 lbs of live rock and a 2" sand bed in the display and a 3" sandbed in the sump/fuge w/an additional 20 lbs of live rock rubble coming this week to start curing/cycling and added to the sump. In addition, the ubiquitous ball of chaeto in the fuge.

Currently have a Vertex 180i skimmer which will be upgraded to a 200i as bioload increases. 2 MP40's currently running with a Gyre that I will be receiving and installing this week. I run GFO and GAC 24/7 and have a 40 watt UV that I will be receiving and installing this week.

2 - Boxfish (Adult)
1 - Volitans Lion (~5")

1 - Harlequin Tusk
1 - Achilles Tang
2 - Cleaner Wrasse

Jeff

Unfortunately, Jeff, I do not provide analysis of aggressive fish community tanks where one tank member can/will eat one of its tank mates. You can post your question and get lots of answers in the aggressive fish forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139).

DragRacinGramps
11/25/2014, 08:23 PM
This was my original post that I posted in two forums before I realized this is where it should be (yeah I know rookie error).
Hi all, I want to get peoples opinions and/or advise on stocking my mixed reef system. It is a 75g tank 48"x18"x20" it is cycled, lighting is 4 bulb T5 HO ATI bulbs, skimmer, UV sterilizer, 2 reactors, carbon and GFO, 3 inch sand and gravel bed. I've included a pic of the system that was taken today. It is mixed LPS and assorted softies, I'll be adding a Hammer coral and Trumpet coral tomorrow to go along with the Frogspawn and Brain corals on the LPS side. Right now I have a Maroon clown, and a Coral beauty that doesn't bother the corals at all (thank goodness) along with a cleaner shrimp and assorted clean up crew. Here is the list of what I would like to add over the next few months gradually, please feel free to contribute any and all constructive criticism, advise or opinions. Also I need to know what order if any to add the fish, if I do end up getting the purple dottyback it would go in last unless some tells me why otherwise. So here is the list.

Kole Tang 1

6 line wrasse 2

Yellow flanked fairy wrasse 1

Anthias 2 please make suggestions on which Anthias would work well here

Purple Dottyback 1

Thank you!

I have figured out so far that the six line wrasses are probably not a good idea at all. I'm thinking a Lubbock wrasse to go along with the yellow flanked. I'm also interested in suggestions for Anthias.

snorvich
11/25/2014, 09:18 PM
This was my original post that I posted in two forums before I realized this is where it should be (yeah I know rookie error).
Hi all, I want to get peoples opinions This thread is only answered by Reef Central Staff. If you want general opinions, please post in Reef Fish (which I see you have done).

and/or advise on stocking my mixed reef system. It is a 75g tank 48"x18"x20" it is cycled, lighting is 4 bulb T5 HO ATI bulbs, skimmer, UV sterilizer, 2 reactors, carbon and GFO, 3 inch sand and gravel bed. I've included a pic of the system that was taken today. It is mixed LPS and assorted softies, I'll be adding a Hammer coral and Trumpet coral tomorrow to go along with the Frogspawn and Brain corals on the LPS side. Right now I have a Maroon clown This fish, once mature, will want to control about 50 gallons of tank space. That is going to make it difficult to find suitable tank mates

, and a Coral beauty may not be reef safe with all corals

that doesn't bother the corals at all (thank goodness) along with a cleaner shrimp and assorted clean up crew. Here is the list of what I would like to add over the next few months gradually, please feel free to contribute any and all constructive criticism, advise or opinions. Also I need to know what order if any to add the fish, if I do end up getting the purple dottyback it would go in last unless some tells me why otherwise. So here is the list.

Kole Tang 1 maroon clownfish may terrorize

6 line wrasse 2 aggressive and probably not compatible with any fairy wrasse; definitely not two of them

Yellow flanked fairy wrasse 1

Anthias 2 please make suggestions on which Anthias would work well here

Purple Dottyback 1 aggressive and will be difficult to have tank mates in this sized tank

Thank you!

I have figured out so far that the six line wrasses are probably not a good idea at all. I'm thinking a Lubbock wrasse to go along with the yellow flanked. I'm also interested in suggestions for Anthias.

Jeff210
11/25/2014, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately, Jeff, I do not provide analysis of aggressive fish community tanks where one tank member can/will eat one of its tank mates. You can post your question and get lots of answers in the aggressive fish forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139).

I should have seen that coming...

I will remove the lion to the 65 until I can either get my 125 up and running or can re-locate him elsewhere (he's a magnificent fish!!!)...

Your thoughts after that...

EDIT: I'm removing the Lion tomorrow - if he eats my goldflake...I'm going to eat him (magnificent or not)...

snorvich
11/26/2014, 05:58 AM
I should have seen that coming...

I will remove the lion to the 65 until I can either get my 125 up and running or can re-locate him elsewhere (he's a magnificent fish!!!)...

Your thoughts after that...

EDIT: I'm removing the Lion tomorrow - if he eats my goldflake...I'm going to eat him (magnificent or not)...

Since I cannot go backwards in this thread, if you wish to resubmit a stocking plan and tank size I will be happy to look at them.

horseplay
11/26/2014, 07:25 AM
Question on Mandarin Dragnet. Tank is:

1. 100g tank with 30g refugium, 40g sump.
2. Plenty of live rocks but no sand.
3. Other tankmates - Yellow and Kole tangs, foxface, (I know, a lot of algae grazers), a pair of regular clowns and 2 blue chromis.

The question is can I get a single or a pair. Also do they jump? I prefer not to keep a cover.

Thanks.

snorvich
11/26/2014, 07:36 AM
Question on Mandarin Dragnet. Tank is:

1. 100g tank with 30g refugium, 40g sump.
2. Plenty of live rocks but no sand.
3. Other tankmates - Yellow and Kole tangs, foxface, (I know, a lot of algae grazers), a pair of regular clowns and 2 blue chromis.

The question is can I get a single or a pair. Also do they jump? I prefer not to keep a cover.

Thanks.

clowns also eat copepods. A single should do fine but a pair would not work long term.

horseplay
11/26/2014, 08:02 AM
clowns also eat copepods. A single should do fine but a pair would not work long term.

Thanks Steve.

Jeff210
11/26/2014, 08:04 AM
Hey Steve,

2 - Boxfish (Adult)

1 - Harlequin Tusk
1 - Achilles Tang
2 - Cleaner Wrasse

Jeff

snorvich
11/26/2014, 08:22 AM
Hey Steve,

2 - Columbian/Black Fin Catshark (Adult) brackish fish
1 - Desjardini Tang (Adult) needs a larger tank
2 - Boxfish (Adult) do best in a reef tank with gentle tank mates; I am not sure how well these will do long term
1 - Emperor Angel (Juvenile) When mature, will not likely tolerate another angel in a six foot tank

1 - 3 Spot Domino Damsel (Adult) A royal PITA becase of their aggressive nature

1 - Clarkii Clown (pair w/existing and possible hosting by RBTA) must be tiny to insure it is not down the road to becoming female
1 - Harlequin Tusk
1 - Achilles Tang probably will not work with the fish already in place
2 - Cleaner Wrasse only one, African endemic will work but will have no value in parasite control

Jeff

friedwilly
11/26/2014, 09:44 AM
After a long awaited build of my first saltwater tank (60G Cube). I am now starting to plan my livestock. First, Cleanup Crew. Second, Fish (order to add please). Third, Inverts and Corals.

My intended livestock is as follows:

Soft Corals and Inverts
Anenome (Add after 1 year)
Zoanthids
Polyps
Mushroom
Ricordea
Feather Duster

Cleanup Crew
20 - Margarita Snails
20 - Mexican Turbo Snails
15 -Nassarius Snails
1 – Scarlett Hermit Crabs
2 – Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Fish
2 - Ocellaris Clownfish (Paired)

1 – Pink Spotted Watchman Goby or Orange Spotted Goby

1 – Lawnmower Blenny

3 - Yellowstriped Cardinalfish

1 – Pink Streaked Wrasse

2 - Firefish

1 - Chalk Bass (Maybe)

RG Rude
11/26/2014, 07:51 PM
29 gal. reef with plenty of rock and flow.
Current stock:
3 Emerald Crabs
12 Banded Trochus snails
1 brown brittle star
2 Skunk Clowns (Captive bred)
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Cryptic Wrasse

Future addition question ???
1 Banggai Cardinal or yield to a suggestion.

snorvich
11/26/2014, 08:49 PM
After a long awaited build of my first saltwater tank (60G Cube). I am now starting to plan my livestock. First, Cleanup Crew. Second, Fish (order to add please). Third, Inverts and Corals.

My intended livestock is as follows:

Soft Corals and Inverts
Anenome (Add after 1 year)
Zoanthids
Polyps
Mushroom
Ricordea
Feather Duster

Cleanup Crew hermits or snails but not both
20 - Margarita Snails
20 - Mexican Turbo Snails
15 -Nassarius Snails
1 – Scarlett Hermit Crabs
2 – Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Fish
2 - Ocellaris Clownfish (Paired)

1 – Pink Spotted Watchman Goby or Orange Spotted Goby

1 – Lawnmower Blenny

3 - Yellowstriped Cardinalfish

1 – Pink Streaked Wrasse

2 - Firefish one only

1 - Chalk Bass (Maybe)

except as annotated, fish list is fine

snorvich
11/26/2014, 08:52 PM
29 gal. reef with plenty of rock and flow.
Current stock:
3 Emerald Crabs when mature, can take fish
12 Banded Trochus snails
1 brown brittle star
2 Skunk Clowns (Captive bred)
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Cryptic Wrasse six line wrasses are aggressive, especially in small tanks so I would suggest the Banggai Cardinal (below) instead

Future addition question ???
1 Banggai Cardinal or yield to a suggestion.

Nina51
11/27/2014, 09:55 AM
steve, i got the vrolik's wrasse, he's been in qt for a week. beautiful fish, just wanted to thank you again for your input and tell you HaPpY ThAnKsGiViNg. hope you have a wonderful day!!

snorvich
11/27/2014, 10:01 AM
steve, i got the vrolik's wrasse, he's been in qt for a week. beautiful fish, just wanted to thank you again for your input and tell you HaPpY ThAnKsGiViNg. hope you have a wonderful day!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! I think you will be pleased with that wrasse. I am a big fan of Halichoeres wrasses keeping in mind that inverts are on the menu. Otherwise, great community fishes.

Nina51
11/27/2014, 11:16 AM
i have eleventy billion tiny feather dusters in my dt. he will be well fed! ;)

since i added the yellow coris wrasse, my flat worm problem has disappeared. i was looking for a small rock with some flat worms to put in the qt and i couldn't find any!!

snorvich
11/27/2014, 01:13 PM
i have eleventy billion tiny feather dusters in my dt. he will be well fed! ;)

since i added the yellow coris wrasse, my flat worm problem has disappeared. i was looking for a small rock with some flat worms to put in the qt and i couldn't find any!!

They are good at that. Also good at more virulent pests which hopefully you do not encounter. Many folks buy them just for that type of protection but find they enjoy the cool behaviors.

Nina51
11/27/2014, 07:14 PM
that's what i really like about these wrasses. all of the ones in my dt are very bold and this new guy is downright friendly. or, maybe he just wants to eat. all. the. time. :)

tjh9100
11/28/2014, 01:40 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to keep a flame hawkfish with a snowflake eel. I do not have either of the fish yet and my current fish are
One spot foxface
Ocellaris clown with hosted h. Crispa anemone
And a yellow tail damsel.
I also have a coral banded shrimp that has eaten about 4 other small fish and a brittle star.
I have about 110 lbs of rock and a 3 to 5 inch sand bed.

snorvich
11/28/2014, 02:06 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to keep a flame hawkfish with a snowflake eel.

Unfortunately, I do not provide analysis for aggressive fish community tanks where one tank mate could/may eat another. Those questions can be posed in the aggressive fish forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139).

I do not have either of the fish yet and my current fish are
One spot foxface
Ocellaris clown with hosted h. Crispa anemone
And a yellow tail damsel.
I also have a coral banded shrimp that has eaten about 4 other small fish and a brittle star. Green brittle stars will take fish as will coral banded shrimp.
I have about 110 lbs of rock and a 3 to 5 inch sand bed.

Gmang
11/28/2014, 08:23 PM
looking for advice have had many reef tanks but this one is minimalistic want 1-2 more fish
60 gallon open top cube mostly zoes. 2 year old tank 78 deg ph stable ish at 8.1-8.25 (shouldn't affect fish) 60 pounds live rock, 1 ocelaris clown (spelling)
blue/yellow damsel(daughter loved), royal guarama(spelling)emerald crab. need a couple more. did have a kole tang and lawnmower blennie seemed to starve over time even with addition of norrie. 1 blue green chromis died due to bulling by occelaris clown.
sorry about spelling

snorvich
11/28/2014, 09:26 PM
looking for advice have had many reef tanks but this one is minimalistic want 1-2 more fish
60 gallon open top cube mostly zoes. 2 year old tank 78 deg ph stable ish at 8.1-8.25 (shouldn't affect fish) 60 pounds live rock, 1 ocelaris clown (spelling)
blue/yellow damsel(daughter loved), royal guarama(spelling)emerald crab. need a couple more. did have a kole tang and lawnmower blennie seemed to starve over time even with addition of norrie. 1 blue green chromis died due to bulling by occelaris clown.
sorry about spelling

While I do not provide recommendations for a variety of reasons, I am always happy to analyze stocking plans as long as tank size is also provided. Feel free to check back!

iced98lx
11/29/2014, 10:01 AM

Black Oc. Clown pair (Currently in BioCube, so must move with me)
Banggai Cardinalfish (3-4?) Only a tank bred male plus female. In a six foot tank, you might get away with two pairs but it is not a guaranteed thing
Yellow or Black Tang two zebrasoma tangs should ideally be introduced concurrently; yellow, black, and purple are all zebrasoma
Purple Tang

Thanks!
Always a pleasure

Thank you Steve, I appreciate the insight. Would you say I should experience an acceptable relationship between a yellow or black and a purple if they're similar size and introduced at the same time? Staggered sizes?

I will look into captive bred cardinals, I wonder if red stop light or yellowstriped would be feasible in a grouping vs 2?

I know you don't do suggestions, but is there a family of Anthia that in your experience would thrive with the other fish I plan to stock in a 78-80 degree tank? I work from home in the room with the tank and am installing an auto-feeder to help keep the anthias well fed.

Thank you again!

snorvich
11/29/2014, 11:33 AM
Thank you Steve, I appreciate the insight. Would you say I should experience an acceptable relationship between a yellow or black and a purple if they're similar size and introduced at the same time? Staggered sizes?

With no other tangs, a small yellow and black introduced concurrently should be ok.

I will look into captive bred cardinals, I wonder if red stop light or yellowstriped would be feasible in a grouping vs 2?

Apogon parvulus would do well in a group of five to ten but as they are small, I would not try them with any other cardinal fish. They are finicky, however, so you would need to feed them multiple times per day as well

I know you don't do suggestions, but is there a family of Anthia that in your experience would thrive with the other fish I plan to stock in a 78-80 degree tank? I work from home in the room with the tank and am installing an auto-feeder to help keep the anthias well fed.

I am partial to carberryi or resplendent anthias; however, they would need to be trained to accept pellets and I would certainly mix frozen and pellets into the multiple time feeding schedule.

Thank you again!

iced98lx
11/29/2014, 11:34 AM
Thanks Steve!!

TripleJ21
11/29/2014, 11:55 AM
Hey Steve,
I would just like to first thank you for all of your insight. It has been more than helpful to me the many times I have posted here.

Ok so I have a 75 gallon mixed reef:

Current Inhabitants:

1 Barletts Anthias
1 Kole Tang
3 Lyretail Anthias
2 Occ. Clowns
1 Flame Hawkfish

Would I be able to add one or two peaceful wrasses into my system later down the road? I was thinking in a month or so. I am looking for a blue fish, so maybe a Clown Wrasse (C. solorensis) or a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (M. bipartitus)?

I also have a clam in my system, would the wrasses be peaceful towards that?

snorvich
11/29/2014, 12:01 PM
Hey Steve,
I would just like to first thank you for all of your insight. It has been more than helpful to me the many times I have posted here.

Ok so I have a 75 gallon mixed reef:

Current Inhabitants:

1 Barletts Anthias
1 Kole Tang
3 Lyretail Anthias
2 Occ. Clowns
1 Flame Hawkfish

Would I be able to add one or two peaceful wrasses into my system later down the road? I was thinking in a month or so. I am looking for a blue fish, so maybe a Clown Wrasse (C. solorensis) or a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (M. bipartitus)?

I also have a clam in my system, would the wrasses be peaceful towards that?

If your tank is at least 9 months mature, and since you have no copepod grazer, M. bipartitus would be excellent as long as you have sand (they sleep in the sand) or provide a tupperware container of fine sand. They eat PE mysis in addition to grazing for copepods. C. solorensis would also work, but is not as interesting for some folks.

rishu_pepper
11/29/2014, 04:41 PM
Hi Steve, I'm back again to ask for your wisdom with a few potential additions.

magnificient foxface
lyretail anthias (male/female pair)
longnose atlantic butterfly
banggai cardinal
pajama cardinal
Naoko wrasse pair (highly expensive "dream fish", currently available at LFS so might as well ask, I had to admit I was smitten with its brilliant colours :xlbirthday:)

Thanks again!

Below is my current list again just for references:

2x blue chromi
starry blenny (mistakenly ID'ed as lawnmower previously)
tomato clown (soon will be removed after recovery)
grey eyed moray eel 2'
sea urchin 6"
fire red shrimp
bunch of hermit crabs

recent additions: anemone shrimp x1, peppermint shrimp x3, CUC snails

Lavoisier
11/29/2014, 04:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! I think you will be pleased with that wrasse. I am a big fan of Halichoeres wrasses keeping in mind that inverts are on the menu. Otherwise, great community fishes.

Yes, Steve, I wanted add my thanks to you...very helpful and have kept me from some really bad choices. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. :wave:

snorvich
11/29/2014, 04:50 PM
Hi Steve, I'm back again to ask for your wisdom with a few potential additions.

magnificient foxface
banggai cardinal
pajama cardinal
Naoko wrasse pair (highly expensive "dream fish", currently available at LFS so might as well ask, I had to admit I was smitten with its brilliant colours :xlbirthday:)

Thanks again!

Below is my current list again just for references:

I cannot really assess with an eel in the tank. And in any case, I need tank size. I do too many of these to even begin to remember any individual tank specs. The fairy wrasse pair is on the aggressive side, FYI.

rishu_pepper
11/29/2014, 04:55 PM
I cannot really assess with an eel in the tank. And in any case, I need tank size. I do too many of these to even begin to remember any individual tank specs. The fairy wrasse pair is on the aggressive side, FYI.

Ahh sorry about that, the tank is a standard 90g, 4' length.

For the sake of the argument, let's say I decide to get rid of the eel. :)

snorvich
11/29/2014, 04:59 PM
Ahh sorry about that, the tank is a standard 90g, 4' length.

For the sake of the argument, let's say I decide to get rid of the eel. :)

There is no "argument". I simply do not assess aggressive fish community tanks where one animal can or possibly will, eat another tank mate, and eels tend to be difficult to predict bioload as well as behavior. Best to post in the aggressive fish forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139).

rishu_pepper
11/29/2014, 05:12 PM
There is no "argument". I simply do not assess aggressive fish community tanks where one animal can or possibly will, eat another tank mate, and eels tend to be difficult to predict bioload as well as behavior. Best to post in the aggressive fish forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139).

I shall sell it locally or dropping it off at the LFS ASAP. I like the guy, but I guess it'll have to go, not worth it to have it kill my other livestock.

In the meantime, as far as those previous fish go, what are your thoughts?

Thanks again :)

snorvich
11/29/2014, 09:10 PM
I shall sell it locally or dropping it off at the LFS ASAP. I like the guy, but I guess it'll have to go, not worth it to have it kill my other livestock.

In the meantime, as far as those previous fish go, what are your thoughts?

Thanks again :)

Unfortunately, since I cannot go backwards in this thread, you would need to post tank size, current occupants, and desired additions. Sorry, backwards is just not feasible.

mdeofglss
11/29/2014, 11:17 PM
Hi Steve,

I would greatly appreciate your opinion on compatibility for a few fish. I have an 11-month-old reef tank, 105 gallons, which currently has in it the following:
-two clownfish
-yellow tang
-purple tang
-two black cardinals
-Melanurus wrasse

Would any of the following be ok? Tank also has six narcissus snails and seven hermit crabs (as far as inverts go).

Wish list
-yellowtail damselfish
-azure damselfish
-orchid dottyback
-one spot foxface
-mandarin goby
-green clown goby

Thanks in advance! :-)

rishu_pepper
11/29/2014, 11:37 PM
Here is the list again for your references. Thanks! :)

What I am potentially interested in:

magnificient foxface
banggai cardinal
pajama cardinal
Naoko wrasse pair (highly expensive "dream fish", currently available at LFS so might as well ask, I had to admit I was smitten with its brilliant colours )

Tank size: 90g standard, 4' length

Below is my current list of livestock:

2x blue chromi
hippo tang
tomato clown (soon will be removed)
sea urchin 6"
fire red shrimp
bunch of hermit crabs

snorvich
11/30/2014, 06:14 AM
Hi Steve,

I would greatly appreciate your opinion on compatibility for a few fish. I have an 11-month-old reef tank, 105 gallons, which currently has in it the following:
-two clownfish what species?
-yellow tang your two existing tangs are not long term stable in this sized tank; in fact we recommend a larger tank for even keeping one
-purple tang
-two black cardinals
-Melanurus wrasse

Would any of the following be ok? Tank also has six narcissus snails and seven hermit crabs (as far as inverts go).

Wish list
-yellowtail damselfish damsel fish are aggressive and may or may not work with the existing tangs
-azure damselfish
-orchid dottyback may be ok
-one spot foxface no, your algae grazers will not allow this fish to survive
-mandarin goby not with your melanurus wrasse in this size tank
-green clown goby fine

Thanks in advance! :-)

snorvich
11/30/2014, 06:18 AM
Here is the list again for your references. Thanks! :)

What I am potentially interested in:

magnificient foxface no, needs a larger tank
lyretail anthias (male/female pair) one is fine
longnose atlantic butterfly fine but probably not shrimp safe
banggai cardinal tank raised is fine
pajama cardinal
Naoko wrasse pair (highly expensive "dream fish", currently available at LFS so might as well ask, I had to admit I was smitten with its brilliant colours ) fine, but is aggressive

Tank size: 90g standard, 4' length

Below is my current list of livestock:

2x blue chromi
hippo tang needs a much larger tank
tomato clown (soon will be removed)
sea urchin 6"
fire red shrimp
bunch of hermit crabs

rishu_pepper
11/30/2014, 10:39 AM
Thank you sir, again, for your sage advice! :)

PotteryMan
11/30/2014, 02:06 PM
Hi Steve!

I have a roughly 100 gallon(65 x 18 x 20) mixed reef tank. Had it for over 20 years. It has been set up this go round for 3.5 months.

2-3" live sand
125+ lbs live rock

Current live stock is a variety of easy corals(zoas, polyps, leather, etc.), a CUC, and a lawnmower blenny.

Here are the fish I am looking at:

Purple Firefish
Yellow Tang
2 - Occ. Clowns
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Orange Spotted Goby OR Yellow Watchman Goby

Thank you for looking and advice!

snorvich
11/30/2014, 05:05 PM
Hi Steve!

I have a roughly 100 gallon(65 x 18 x 20) mixed reef tank. Had it for over 20 years. It has been set up this go round for 3.5 months.

2-3" live sand
125+ lbs live rock

Current live stock is a variety of easy corals(zoas, polyps, leather, etc.), a CUC, and a lawnmower blenny.

Here are the fish I am looking at:

Purple Firefish
Yellow Tang
2 - Occ. Clowns
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Orange Spotted Goby OR Yellow Watchman Goby

Thank you for looking and advice!

Should be fine. Either goby is behaviorally similar. Introduce firefish early on

Yellow Eyes
11/30/2014, 10:09 PM
I have posted here before, but am changing my mind a lot.

Tank is a 20g nano with 10g sump w/ refugium, skimmer, ATO.
Stock includes: Firefish Goby, cleaner shrimp, 4 nassarius snails, 5 nerite snails

I still want to add 2 ocellaris clowns, with an rbta (not sure if you can yah/nah the nem for me too, currently, I'm leaning towards no from my research)

I would also like some kind of rock dwelling fish, I see them in stores a lot and they look cool; I have ~25 lbs rock

I was thinking either:
Red Spotted Goby (trimma rubromaculatus)
-or-
Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

Both seem reef safe, but my two concerns are:

1) I want to add the clownfish next
2) Will the Gobies get along?

Thanks!

mdeofglss
11/30/2014, 10:22 PM
The clownfish are Amphiprion ocellaris.

Thanks so much for your input! This definitely helps :-) I definitely am working on a long-term relocation for those tangs.

manny532
12/01/2014, 01:04 AM
220gallon tank, 45 gallon sump with skimmer with an attached 30 gallon refugium with chaetomorpha, 180lbs live rock. current stock 3" black tang, 4" lieutenant tang, 8" princess parrot, 2.5" flame angel, 4" starry blenny, 1.5" bicolor blenny, 1.5" yellow tail blenny, 2" midas blenny, 1" royal gramma, 3 fire gobbies, 1 purple fire goby, 1" clown, 1" blue green chromis, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 12 nassarius snails, 2 turbos, 2 cowrie tiger snails, 6 astreas, 8 hermits, 2 emeralds.

What i want to complete my list:
gold flake angel
achilles tang
mystery wrasse
mandarin goby
scooter blenny
blue jaw trigger

I fear i'd be pushing it with too many inhabitants. also fear about the tangs killing the achilles the trigger eventually growing and wanting to eat inverts or small fish. the wrasse going after small fish or inverts or the wrasse going after the mandarin and scooters food and leaving them with nothing, or the wrasse stressing out my fire gobies

Advice...?

snorvich
12/01/2014, 06:18 AM
I have posted here before, but am changing my mind a lot.

Tank is a 20g nano with 10g sump w/ refugium, skimmer, ATO.
Stock includes: Firefish Goby, cleaner shrimp, 4 nassarius snails, 5 nerite snails

I still want to add 2 ocellaris clowns, with an rbta (not sure if you can yah/nah the nem for me too, currently, I'm leaning towards no from my research)

I would also like some kind of rock dwelling fish, I see them in stores a lot and they look cool; I have ~25 lbs rock

I was thinking either:
Red Spotted Goby (trimma rubromaculatus)
-or-
Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

Both seem reef safe, but my two concerns are:

1) I want to add the clownfish next
2) Will the Gobies get along?

Thanks!

No additional fish in a 20 gallon tank after adding the clownfish

snorvich
12/01/2014, 06:26 AM
220gallon tank, 45 gallon sump with skimmer with an attached 30 gallon refugium with chaetomorpha, 180lbs live rock. current stock

3" black tang,
4" lieutenant tang,
8" princess parrot,
2.5" flame angel,
4" starry blenny,
1.5" bicolor blenny,
1.5" yellow tail blenny,
2" midas blenny,
1" royal gramma,
3 fire gobbies, will become at most a pair, probably only one in the long run
1 purple fire goby, may not co-inhabit wit the above three
1" clown,
1" blue green chromis,

1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 12 nassarius snails, 2 turbos, 2 cowrie tiger snails, 6 astreas, 8 hermits, 2 emeralds.

What i want to complete my list:
gold flake angel established tangs will try to intimidate
achilles tang will probably not be accepted by the existing tangs
mystery wrasse probably will intimidate the firefish
mandarin goby not with a mystery wrasse; without a mystery wrasse, after 9 months maturity
scooter blenny not with a mystery wrasse
blue jaw trigger will eat inverts and/or small fish

I fear i'd be pushing it with too many inhabitants. also fear about the tangs killing the achilles the trigger eventually growing and wanting to eat inverts or small fish. the wrasse going after small fish or inverts or the wrasse going after the mandarin and scooters food and leaving them with nothing, or the wrasse stressing out my fire gobies

I agree with all of your concerns

Advice...?

wcharon
12/01/2014, 06:31 AM
Tank is a standard 125 6 feet long.

Currently Livestock is:
1. Orangestripe Diamond Goby
2. Firefish
3. Lyretail Anthias
4. Medium FoxFace
5. Medium Blue Tang
6. Medium Tomini Tang

Looking to add 2 more Anthias, 1 Oscelaris Clown and a Wrasse. can you give me suggestions on which type of Anthias and Wrasse is better???

Thanks in advance..

Corals (Bubble, Hammers, Leathers, Mushrooms, Brain, Elegance. Montipora, Weslopyhlia).

Is it possible to add a Yellow Wachman Goby and 2 Ocelaris Clowns ??? Will it interphere with the Orange Stripe Diamond Goby??:

snorvich
12/01/2014, 08:44 AM
Tank is a standard 125 6 feet long.

Currently Livestock is:
1. Orangestripe Diamond Goby
2. Firefish
3. Lyretail Anthias
4. Medium FoxFace
5. Medium Blue Tang needs a much larger tank
6. Medium Tomini Tang

three grazers long term in this sized tank will not work

Looking to add 2 more Anthias, 1 Oscelaris Clown and a Wrasse. can you give me suggestions on which type of Anthias and Wrasse is better???

for anthias, simply add two females to match your lyretail. I don't provide recommendations for a variety of reasons, but would be happy to evaluate any choice within the context of your existing stocking and plan.

Thanks in advance..

Corals (Bubble, Hammers, Leathers, Mushrooms, Brain, Elegance. Montipora, Weslopyhlia).

Is it possible to add a Yellow Wachman Goby and 2 Ocelaris Clowns ??? Will it interphere with the Orange Stripe Diamond Goby??:

No, a second clownfish will not interfere with the goby.

DaveRaz
12/01/2014, 09:29 AM
I have two blacker ice clownfish in QT and also going through TTT to eliminate the possibility of ich.

How much of my DT will they require? Since they will probably be the only inhabitants in the DT for at least the next couple months, what fish options are recommended? I plan to keep a max of 5 fish or so but I'm not opposed to just these two long term.

Such wish It could be some sort of trigger fish down the road that would not eat my coral and harass the clowns. I would just keep these 3 fish it that was a possibility.

PS- I have 43 inverts and 2 peppermint shrimp in the DT now keeping the house clean.

snorvich
12/01/2014, 10:03 AM
I have two blacker ice clownfish in QT and also going through TTT to eliminate the possibility of ich.

How much of my DT will they require?

When sexually mature, they will want to control about 25 gallons of tank space.

Since they will probably be the only inhabitants in the DT for at least the next couple months, what fish options are recommended? I plan to keep a max of 5 fish or so but I'm not opposed to just these two long term.

Such wish It could be some sort of trigger fish down the road that would not eat my coral and harass the clowns. I would just keep these 3 fish it that was a possibility.

triggers require larger tanks and they will eat your inverts

PS- I have 43 inverts and 2 peppermint shrimp in the DT now keeping the house clean.

wcharon
12/01/2014, 10:46 AM
No, a second clownfish will not interfere with the goby.

Thanks Steve... Happy Holidays..

manny532
12/01/2014, 11:51 AM
A million thank you's for the advise!

My new thoughts are, introduce the goldflake & achilles at the same time (and will try to get them slightly larger than current tangs or at least the size of the bigger one of the two), scratch the blue jaw:(, scratch the mystery wrasse:( ::sigh::, and wait 9months instead of 6 :c before getting the mandarin and scooter ::sigh::

what do you think about a pair of mandarins considering i'd be scratching off the blue jaw and mystery wrasse?

do you think i might still have the issue with the fire gobbies that you mentioned after knowing this piece of info; all three fire gobbies sleep in the same place and swim together. they seem very good. the purple one seems to stay completely across the tank from the three and sleeps literally right across from the three. sometimes the purple will school with the other three but for the most part sticks to himself. bad idea to add another purple?

izzyish
12/01/2014, 11:54 AM

I changed my mind on the Bartletts, I'll wait on those. In my 5' 120g I want to add a Silver foxface rabbitfish and a female swallowtail angelfish. Will these do okay together? I have coral, so I'm sure I'll have to keep close attention to both these fish nipping at them.

snorvich
12/01/2014, 11:57 AM
I changed my mind on the Bartletts, I'll wait on those. In my 5' 120g I want to add a Silver foxface rabbitfish and a female swallowtail angelfish. Will these do okay together? I have coral, so I'm sure I'll have to keep close attention to both these fish nipping at them.

I would need total stocking plan to properly evaluate.

snorvich
12/01/2014, 12:00 PM
A million thank you's for the advise!

My new thoughts are, introduce the goldflake & achilles at the same time (and will try to get them slightly larger than current tangs or at least the size of the bigger one of the two),

I still think you will have the issue with too many tangs.

scratch the blue jaw:(, scratch the mystery wrasse:( ::sigh::, and wait 9months instead of 6 :c before getting the mandarin and scooter ::sigh::

what do you think about a pair of mandarins considering i'd be scratching off the blue jaw and mystery wrasse?

do you think i might still have the issue with the fire gobbies that you mentioned after knowing this piece of info; all three fire gobbies sleep in the same place and swim together. they seem very good. the purple one seems to stay completely across the tank from the three and sleeps literally right across from the three. sometimes the purple will school with the other three but for the most part sticks to himself. bad idea to add another purple?

With no mystery wrasse, a pair of mandarins or a mandarin and scooter blenny would work. You will have the issue with the fire fish. Usually takes about 4-6 months.

izzyish
12/01/2014, 01:18 PM
I would need total stocking plan to properly evaluate.

Currently:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Blue Damsel (Trying to trap her to get her out, gets along well with everyone though)
2 Lyretail Anthias

Want:

1 Silver Foxface
1 Female Swallowtail Angel
1 Male Swallowtail Angel
Pair of clownfish
1 Flame Angel
3 Bartletts
1 Purple Tang
Blue Jaw Triger

snorvich
12/01/2014, 01:25 PM
Currently:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang needs a much larger tank
1 Blue Damsel (Trying to trap her to get her out, gets along well with everyone though)
2 Lyretail Anthias

Want:

1 Silver Foxface needs a much larger tank
1 Female Swallowtail Angel
1 Male Swallowtail Angel
Pair of clownfish
1 Flame Angel
3 Bartletts
1 Purple Tang You already have two tangs, a third would not work
Blue Jaw Triger not invert safe

You would have too many large, very active fish in a moderately sized tank

izzyish
12/01/2014, 01:37 PM
You would have too many large, very active fish in a moderately sized tank

Thanks!

Madrid Dan
12/01/2014, 02:46 PM
I have a 180 x 60 x 60 (more or less like a US 180 Gal) LPS and SPS with some Zoas. Lots of live rock and a big skimmer in a sump. It has been up and running about 10 months.

So far I have (grouped in order of QT and introduction):

1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Lawnmower Blennie
1 Blue-green Chromis

2 Flame Firefish So far they seem to be a pair

5 Anthias (Squamipinnis) One has turned male and rules the females

1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Green Mandarin

1 Checkerboard Wrasse (has started to bully the Firefish)
2 Ocellaris Clowns

---------------------------------
I am considering adding:

1 Royal Gramma (have tried twice, but neither survived QT)
2 Banggai Cardinalfish.

1 Kole Tang
1 Purple Tang

1 Schooling Bannerfish (If I can find one)
1 Foxface (Lo or One Spot)

1 Longnose Hawkfish

1 Flame Angel

What do think? Both in terms of compatibility and order of introduction. I have a 54 liter QT, so I am figuring adding these in five three QT sessions.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

snorvich
12/01/2014, 02:53 PM
I have a 180 x 60 x 60 (more or less like a US 180 Gal) LPS and SPS with some Zoas. Lots of live rock and a big skimmer in a sump. It has been up and running about 10 months.

So far I have (grouped in order of QT and introduction):

1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Lawnmower Blennie
1 Blue-green Chromis

2 Flame Firefish So far they seem to be a pair You will know by the six month time frame if both will survive

5 Anthias (Squamipinnis) One has turned male and rules the females

1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Green Mandarin

1 Checkerboard Wrasse (has started to bully the Firefish) may continue, also may diminish the naturally occurring food for the two fish above; not invert safe
2 Ocellaris Clowns

---------------------------------
I am considering adding:

1 Royal Gramma (have tried twice, but neither survived QT)
2 Banggai Cardinalfish. tank bred, male plus female

1 Kole Tang
1 Purple Tang introduce last, but preferably with the kole tank concurrently

1 Schooling Bannerfish (If I can find one)
1 Foxface (Lo or One Spot)

1 Longnose Hawkfish not shrimp safe

1 Flame Angel

What do think? Both in terms of compatibility and order of introduction. I have a 54 liter QT, so I am figuring adding these in five three QT sessions.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

I annotated the possible issues, the biggest being too many copepod eaters. Is the CBB eating supplied food?

Madrid Dan
12/01/2014, 03:06 PM
I annotated the possible issues, the biggest being too many copepod eaters. Is the CBB eating supplied food?

The CBB eats frozen mysis like crazy.
I've seen the mandarin grab pieces of mysis and blender mix off the bottom from time to time.

Thanks again

snorvich
12/01/2014, 03:09 PM
The CBB eats frozen mysis like crazy.

That is a major victory. Try feeding multiple times a day to diminish the copepod consumption.

I've seen the mandarin grab pieces of mysis and blender mix off the bottom from time to time. They all do, but that is not really relevant as they eat constantly and compete poorly.

Thanks again

manny532
12/01/2014, 03:21 PM
With no mystery wrasse, a pair of mandarins or a mandarin and scooter blenny would work. You will have the issue with the fire fish. Usually takes about 4-6 months.

Thank you Steve!

You mentioned a pair of mandarins or a mandarin and scooter... i meant all 3. thoughts? also with the fire fish its pretty sad, wished i would have asked before getting them. will monitor closely and if or when i see it happening i'll try and remove the non aggressor/s. with the achilles and goldflake i might just put in a few more pieces of live rock and try to change the settings a bit (especially where i know the other two tangs like to hang out) add them at night with only moon lights and roll the dice with them. i really want those two .

snorvich
12/01/2014, 03:32 PM
Thank you Steve!

You mentioned a pair of mandarins or a mandarin and scooter... i meant all 3.

That will not work. Two is pushing it a bit.

thoughts? also with the fire fish its pretty sad, wished i would have asked before getting them. will monitor closely and if or when i see it happening i'll try and remove the non aggressor/s.

That is not how it will work. You simply notice one or more missing as it will have become intimidated and hide.

with the achilles and goldflake i might just put in a few more pieces of live rock and try to change the settings a bit (especially where i know the other two tangs like to hang out) add them at night with only moon lights and roll the dice with them. i really want those two .

My advice is not. However I simply provide advice.

manny532
12/01/2014, 05:21 PM
Thank you Steve. Sad about the fire gobies and definitely scratched off a bit from my wish list. Thank you for saving fish lives, a broken heart and money flushed in the toilet.

DaveRaz
12/01/2014, 06:00 PM
Post removed

Sams Reef
12/01/2014, 06:18 PM
Is there room in my tank for a chalk bass?
The tank is 46 gallons and has 1 false perc clown, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 pj cardinal, 1 green chromis, 1 6-line wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp, and CUC.

snorvich
12/01/2014, 06:30 PM
Is there room in my tank for a chalk bass?
The tank is 46 gallons and has 1 false perc clown, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 pj cardinal, 1 green chromis, 1 6-line wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp, and CUC.

Not with a six line wrasse. (which will probably kill the cleaner shrimp by the way) It is not a "room" issue, but a behavior issue.

jonwright
12/01/2014, 09:16 PM
So I currently have a 40 breeder that I'm upgrading to a 50 gallon. I also have a 175 bow in the basement that's pending set up.

Current tank list: Flame angel, goby and pistol shrimp pair, skunk cleaner shrimp. Couple snails and crabs.

The 50 gal will take the place of the 40 (upgraded equipment etc) and is 36" in length and will have 250w MH (10k bulb) no T5's *planned*. Sump design in the works, have reeflow 30x for circulation and skimmer is planned to be an Omega 130.

What I'd *like* to do is add an anemone to the tank and pair of clowns (percs or o's) with current stock list.

Will the 50 be a bit crowded with the anemone and clown pair? Other additions might be some polyps, don't really plan on much LPS or SPS (maybe one or 2 if I can get away with it). Xenia, green stars or other wavy stuff if it works. The goby and shrimp are low key and naturally, hang out under the rocks.

I'd like the 50 to be very low maintenance so I don't want to inherit with the anemone a tank I'd really have to watch constantly (that will be the 175 in my office).

Would the anemone be a better fit in the 175? In that tank I'd like to have SPS and try my hand at more corals so I'm thinking the flame needs to stay in the 50 regardless.

Thoughts?

snorvich
12/01/2014, 09:47 PM
So I currently have a 40 breeder that I'm upgrading to a 50 gallon. I also have a 175 bow in the basement that's pending set up.

Current tank list: Flame angel, goby and pistol shrimp pair, skunk cleaner shrimp. Couple snails and crabs.

The 50 gal will take the place of the 40 (upgraded equipment etc) and is 36" in length and will have 250w MH (10k bulb) no T5's *planned*. Sump design in the works, have reeflow 30x for circulation and skimmer is planned to be an Omega 130.

What I'd *like* to do is add an anemone to the tank and pair of clowns (percs or o's) with current stock list.

Will the 50 be a bit crowded with the anemone and clown pair? Other additions might be some polyps, don't really plan on much LPS or SPS (maybe one or 2 if I can get away with it). Xenia, green stars or other wavy stuff if it works. The goby and shrimp are low key and naturally, hang out under the rocks.

I'd like the 50 to be very low maintenance so I don't want to inherit with the anemone a tank I'd really have to watch constantly (that will be the 175 in my office).

Would the anemone be a better fit in the 175? In that tank I'd like to have SPS and try my hand at more corals so I'm thinking the flame needs to stay in the 50 regardless.

Thoughts?

Fish wise, a pair of clowns, goby shrimp combination, and flame angel would be fine. I don't know if you would have enough lights/flow for the anemone to stay put.

mmarisca
12/02/2014, 09:06 AM
Hi all, appreciate the feedback. So I am starting up my first 90 Gallon Saltwater Reef tank and wanted to get some feedback. I plan on having a couple anemones and corals so am trying to keep that in mind with my fish selection. Have a 20 Gal Sump, skimmer and a good amount of live rock.

2 clowns
Love Triggers--was thinking Blue Throat (can i have two? maybe a picasso or Niger?)
1 Blenny
Eels--can I get a snowflake?
Puffers--like the puffers but realize they are out for reef. any that would fit?
Tangs--Was told to add the Tang last and only one but do like the Kole Yellow Eye and Powder Blue Tangs...can only get one right?

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

snorvich
12/02/2014, 09:23 AM
Hi all, appreciate the feedback. So I am starting up my first 90 Gallon Saltwater Reef tank and wanted to get some feedback. I plan on having a couple anemones and corals so am trying to keep that in mind with my fish selection. Have a 20 Gal Sump, skimmer and a good amount of live rock.

2 clowns
Love Triggers--was thinking Blue Throat (can i have two? maybe a picasso or Niger?)
1 Blenny
Eels--can I get a snowflake?
Puffers--like the puffers but realize they are out for reef. any that would fit?
Tangs--Was told to add the Tang last and only one but do like the Kole Yellow Eye and Powder Blue Tangs...can only get one right?

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Sorry, I do not provide recommendations for aggressive fish community tanks. Please post questions in the aggressive fish forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139) for general opinions and commentary.

TulaneDane
12/02/2014, 11:28 AM
Hi, I have a 175 gallon (59"L x 24"D x 29"H) that's been up for a little over 7 months:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/TulaneDane/CF3E5063-BF07-4AC2-9BD4-5F9D27434097_zps6d4isgnt.jpg (http://s805.photobucket.com/user/TulaneDane/media/CF3E5063-BF07-4AC2-9BD4-5F9D27434097_zps6d4isgnt.jpg.html)

Current inhabitants:
- Black Ocellaris Clown Pair
- Juvenile Yellow Tang
- Six Line Wrasse
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Blue/Green Chromis Pair
- Cleaner Shrimp Pair
- Blood Shrimp Pair
- Various snails/hermits
- Limited LPS & SPS (will continue to build out)

Considering:
- Flame Angel or Potter's Angel (mutually exclusive)
- Firefish pair
- Orchid Dottyback
- Regal Tang or Powder Blue Tang (mutually exclusive)

snorvich
12/02/2014, 12:20 PM
Hi, I have a 175 gallon (59"L x 24"D x 29"H) that's been up for a little over 7 months:

Current inhabitants:
- Black Ocellaris Clown Pair
- Juvenile Yellow Tang
- Six Line Wrasse Will be a problem for shrimp and firefish
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Blue/Green Chromis Pair
- Cleaner Shrimp Pair
- Blood Shrimp Pair
- Various snails/hermits
- Limited LPS & SPS (will continue to build out)

Considering:
- Flame Angel or Potter's Angel (mutually exclusive) either but not coral safe
- Firefish pair Without the six line one would work
- Orchid Dottyback may have issues with the six line wrasse
- Regal Tang or Powder Blue Tang (mutually exclusive)

A Powder Blue Tang may work, but the yellow tang may not allow its introduction; A regal tank needs a much longer tank due to activity level. Your gallonage is fine, but tangs tend to do best with long tanks

jonwright
12/02/2014, 02:23 PM
Fish wise, a pair of clowns, goby shrimp combination, and flame angel would be fine. I don't know if you would have enough lights/flow for the anemone to stay put.

Allright, thanks. I'm thinking I'll have 500 GPH or so through the sump with another powerhead or two. 250 MH plus maybe 2 actinics wouldn't be enough for aneomone?

I'll check that forum for specifics - thanks Snorvich!

TulaneDane
12/02/2014, 03:52 PM
A Powder Blue Tang may work, but the yellow tang may not allow its introduction; A regal tank needs a much longer tank due to activity level. Your gallonage is fine, but tangs tend to do best with long tanks

I'm hearing nix all of the above, yet proceed with caution on a Powder Blue Tang. I'll continue to research. Many thanks! :fish1:

snorvich
12/02/2014, 04:29 PM
I'm hearing nix all of the above, yet proceed with caution on a Powder Blue Tang. I'll continue to research. Many thanks! :fish1:

Always a pleasure. Feel free to check back with any questions on marine fish compatibility.

moneymm
12/02/2014, 07:55 PM
Trying to come up with my stocking list. 46 Gallon Bow, Currenty 2 occ clowns.

Is a flame angel out of the question? ive seen conflicting minimum tank sizes

snorvich
12/02/2014, 09:18 PM
Trying to come up with my stocking list. 46 Gallon Bow, Currenty 2 occ clowns.

Is a flame angel out of the question? ive seen conflicting minimum tank sizes

The problem is that dwarf angelfish eat algae constantly and small tanks will not provide sufficient food. The normally recommended tank size is about 70 gallons but if Nori is available constantly, your tank would probably work.

mujtaba
12/03/2014, 04:25 AM
Hi,
I have 7 feet tank (200 gallons with 50 gallons sump) with around 100 lbs of rock running fallow for 4 months due to Ich attack. Survivors in 4 different Quarantines are
- Adult Emperor 5"
- Blonde Naso Tang 5"
- Fox face 4"
- Powder brown tang 4.5"
- Bi color angelfish 3"
- Ocellaris clown 2"
Naso, bi-color angel and Powder brown were purchased last month (incase this info matters)
-------------------------------------
I wish to add following over the period of 2 - 3 months
- Desjardini sailfin (small)
- Yellow tang
- Flame angelfish
- Banner fish
- Threadfin butterfly

Would this be overcrowded? and also please advise on compatibility. Thanks in advance

snorvich
12/03/2014, 07:01 AM
Hi,
I have 7 feet tank (200 gallons with 50 gallons sump) with around 100 lbs of rock running fallow for 4 months due to Ich attack. Survivors in 4 different Quarantines are
- Adult Emperor 5"
- Blonde Naso Tang 5"
- Fox face 4"
- Powder brown tang 4.5"
- Bi color angelfish 3"
- Ocellaris clown 2"
Naso, bi-color angel and Powder brown were purchased last month (incase this info matters)
-------------------------------------
I wish to add following over the period of 2 - 3 months
- Desjardini sailfin (small) definitely not
- Yellow tang definitely not
- Flame angelfish
- Banner fish
- Threadfin butterfly

Would this be overcrowded? and also please advise on compatibility. Thanks in advance

This would be crowded and the two fish I suggested not be included would have difficulty

dmarinelli
12/03/2014, 01:58 PM
I have a small 18" cube (25 gallons-ish) rimless, with an in-tank filter and protein skimmer. Live rock. Looking to keep:
Black and White Clown pair (already have them)
One RBTA
Corals
Blenny
Goby
A few other small colorful beginner fish. NO DAMSELS ALLOWED. :)
And then of course a clean up crew.

Thanks.

snorvich
12/03/2014, 02:04 PM
I have a small 18" cube (25 gallons-ish) rimless, with an in-tank filter and protein skimmer. Live rock. Looking to keep:
Black and White Clown pair (already have them)
One RBTA
Corals
Blenny
Goby

You probably won't be able to sustain the anemone; the clownfish, blenny, and goby, are going to be it.

A few other small colorful beginner fish. NO DAMSELS ALLOWED. :)
And then of course a clean up crew.

Thanks.

devimik
12/03/2014, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks!

Hi Steve, appreciate all your help. I just discovered, this evening, that my male Ocellaris clown was dead - looks to me like he had a gash behind his gills, which points me to the Kole Tang having slashed him. Anyway, he's dead and my larger female is alone now. All other fish are fine. Do you think I could introduce another smaller clown to pair with the female? I had the clowns for two years. Thanks!

coryhupfer
12/04/2014, 12:00 AM
setup:
55 gal tank uknown amount of rock or type got it all from my brother for free,with a aqua c remora S protein skimmer , whisper 60 HOB filter ,fluval sea 48-57" led light
fish:
pretty decent sized maroon clown
2 1/2 3ish maybe inch dwarf black painted angler
and a flame hawkfish which i just added today because my lionfish just died due to unknown cause?
and a fire urchin which ate the carcass of the lionfish before i could find out it died.
corals:
small green bubble tip who wasnt doing too good because my ph and calcium was low but i have fixed it all and got my supplements
a trumpet coral which has been growing new heads at a decent rate
a frogspawn which has also grown a good amount
a couple types of zoas on a few rocks
and a lot of aiptasia which i just purchased a med. matted filefish to hopefully help with that problem. should i stop adding fish or is there room for a green manderin possibly?ive really been wanting a red one but green will do and my lfs finally got one big enough that i think my frogfish won't be able to eat should i add it or would that be too much for my tank?

mujtaba
12/04/2014, 01:12 AM
This would be crowded and the two fish I suggested not be included would have difficulty

Thanks alot for the valuable advice. Just for the sake of my knowledge...you mentioned Yellow and sailfin tang as "definitely not" for my tank. Is it that i shouldn't keep both together or i shouldn't even go for 1 of these tangs? Thanks

snorvich
12/04/2014, 06:26 AM
Hi Steve, appreciate all your help. I just discovered, this evening, that my male Ocellaris clown was dead - looks to me like he had a gash behind his gills, which points me to the Kole Tang having slashed him. Anyway, he's dead and my larger female is alone now. All other fish are fine. Do you think I could introduce another smaller clown to pair with the female? I had the clowns for two years. Thanks!

Yes. Be sure it is the same species and tiny. More likely you have an invert such as a banded coral shrimp, or crab rather than the kole tang.

snorvich
12/04/2014, 06:28 AM
setup:
55 gal tank uknown amount of rock or type got it all from my brother for free,with a aqua c remora S protein skimmer , whisper 60 HOB filter ,fluval sea 48-57" led light
fish:
pretty decent sized maroon clown
2 1/2 3ish maybe inch dwarf black painted angler
and a flame hawkfish which i just added today because my lionfish just died due to unknown cause?
and a fire urchin which ate the carcass of the lionfish before i could find out it died.
corals:
small green bubble tip who wasnt doing too good because my ph and calcium was low but i have fixed it all and got my supplements
a trumpet coral which has been growing new heads at a decent rate
a frogspawn which has also grown a good amount
a couple types of zoas on a few rocks
and a lot of aiptasia which i just purchased a med. matted filefish to hopefully help with that problem. should i stop adding fish or is there room for a green manderin possibly?ive really been wanting a red one but green will do and my lfs finally got one big enough that i think my frogfish won't be able to eat should i add it or would that be too much for my tank?

Sorry, I do not provide analysis of aggressive fish community tanks where one fish will try to eat its tank mates. Try your question here. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)

wcharon
12/04/2014, 06:34 AM
Steve...

Just want to know and be sure what is the general rule and probablly this will not be the same for all the types of fishes.

If i have an established fish of one species and will like to put another of the same species should the new one be smaller or larger than the established? In my case i a thinking in Tangs, Anthias or Clowns.

Thanks Buddy...

devimik
12/04/2014, 08:28 AM
Yes. Be sure it is the same species and tiny. More likely you have an invert such as a banded coral shrimp, or crab rather than the kole tang.

Thanks again Steve. No banded coral shrimp, just a couple of peppermints and a skunk banded cleaner. I do have an emerald crab, but these clowns are way to fast for it and it's small, plus it's claws are not sharp. My Kole Tang is pretty aggressive - seems to dislike my Royal Gramma - he had a slice in his side too about 5 months ago and it healed well, so he's fine now, but hides more in the rockwork. I had noticed the Kole swimming around the clowns more often in the last week or two - in their corner where they hang out. I am thinking the only thing that could cut a fish like that would be the Kole since the only crab I have is the emerald.

So, on the replacement clown, the smaller the better?

coryhupfer
12/04/2014, 09:39 AM
alright well thanks for pointing me in the right direction

snorvich
12/04/2014, 09:49 AM
Steve...

Just want to know and be sure what is the general rule and probablly this will not be the same for all the types of fishes.

If i have an established fish of one species and will like to put another of the same species should the new one be smaller or larger than the established? In my case i a thinking in Tangs, Anthias or Clowns.

Thanks Buddy...

In general, adding a second of a given species will be a problem except in the case of social fish such as anthias. In large tanks adding two juveniles will often work where they "work out" which will be female and which will be male. In the case of clownfish, you must add a juvenile, sexually undifferentiated one.

snorvich
12/04/2014, 09:51 AM
So, on the replacement clown, the smaller the better?

Exactly. Must be a juvenile.

wcharon
12/04/2014, 10:21 AM
In general, adding a second of a given species will be a problem except in the case of social fish such as anthias. In large tanks adding two juveniles will often work where they "work out" which will be female and which will be male. In the case of clownfish, you must add a juvenile, sexually undifferentiated one.

Thanks... Excellent explanation...

Steelen
12/04/2014, 11:28 AM
Currently in the planning phase. Got an IM Fusion 40 through the doorbusters at BRS.

Will be doing 10% weekly water changes or more if thats more recommended. Right now I have the following in mind I hope to stick to mostly juvies so that they can grow as I grow in the hobby:

Wyoming Clowns (x2)
Goby w/ Shrimp

This is what we have in mind right now. Unsure about the kind of goby we want.

Not sure what else we can add. I like the thought of adding Chromis (3-5) but afraid of the bio load.

Just something with color. Looking for suggestions as well as feedback on our current selection.

snorvich
12/04/2014, 02:44 PM
Currently in the planning phase. Got an IM Fusion 40 through the doorbusters at BRS.

Will be doing 10% weekly water changes or more if thats more recommended. Right now I have the following in mind I hope to stick to mostly juvies so that they can grow as I grow in the hobby:

Wyoming Clowns (x2)
Goby w/ Shrimp

This is what we have in mind right now. Unsure about the kind of goby we want.

Good so far . . .

Not sure what else we can add. I like the thought of adding Chromis (3-5) but afraid of the bio load. A group of chromis will become one over time as the dominant one kills off the rest

Just something with color. Looking for suggestions as well as feedback on our current selection.

While I do not provide recommendations for a variety of reasons, I am always happy to review stocking plans provided tank size is also provided.

linaalf
12/05/2014, 12:41 AM
Hi all,

My tank is about nine months old. Was set up around late March this year. We've had some issues, probably mostly due to listening to the LFS. :( But we shall overcome!

Original Equipment: 26 gal custom set up. Filstar XL. Coralife Actinic light.
Added in Sept: Power head.
Just added: CPR bak-pak 2 skimmer, UV sterilizer.

In the beginning: We had two tank raised perculas (ocellaris and da vinci) and a blood shriimp. The first addition was a valentini puffer. He was small but we suspected he was nipping them so we took him back. We had a bubble tip anemone and long spine urchin at one point but they both had issues. I think the tank couldn't support the urchin yet (I did NOT approve purchase of him, I know if was probably immature). The clowns wouldn't take to the anemone and they bit him and he did not do well. He was pretty much pooping all the time. We gave him back to the LFS for rehab. Our water always tested fine (and still does). PH, phosphates, salinity, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia- everything has always been fine! The tank even cycled within two weeks....BUT......

The. Red. Slime. It started in June. LFS told us to get the red slime remover. We tried it. Minimized feedings. Weekly 1/4 water changes. Minimized the light to about 6 hours/day. Tried to read up on it. Nothing really helped. In late September my tank co-parent dosed too much red slime and my clownies died :( I was devastated.

Since then we started buckling down on the red slime even more. Got some purple up as well. Added the equipment you see at the top. The LFS NEVER TOLD US TO GET A SKIMMER IN THE FIRST PLACE. We surmise this might have caused some of the slime. THe slime is at a minimum now but we are still very cautious of it and are being adamant now that we know more about it.

Current livestock: blood shrimp, 6 small hermits, firefish goby.

My questions: My tank co-parent wants maroon clowns. Will they be too aggressive with the firefish? Does anyone recommend any other equipment? The LFS suggested a wet/dry filter but they would sell us gills to go live in the tank if they could. -__-
What would be some other suitable tank mates? Would love to get another anemone and maybe a mandarin once the one year mark rolls around.

Also- if this is posted in the wrong place someone please lmk and I will repost. Thanks in advance!! :)

snorvich
12/05/2014, 06:38 AM
Hi all,

My tank is about nine months old. Was set up around late March this year. We've had some issues, probably mostly due to listening to the LFS. :( But we shall overcome!

Original Equipment: 26 gal custom set up. Filstar XL. Coralife Actinic light.
Added in Sept: Power head.
Just added: CPR bak-pak 2 skimmer, UV sterilizer.

In the beginning: We had two tank raised perculas (ocellaris and da vinci) and a blood shriimp. The first addition was a valentini puffer. He was small but we suspected he was nipping them so we took him back. We had a bubble tip anemone and long spine urchin at one point but they both had issues. I think the tank couldn't support the urchin yet (I did NOT approve purchase of him, I know if was probably immature). The clowns wouldn't take to the anemone and they bit him and he did not do well. He was pretty much pooping all the time. We gave him back to the LFS for rehab. Our water always tested fine (and still does). PH, phosphates, salinity, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia- everything has always been fine! The tank even cycled within two weeks....BUT......

The. Red. Slime. It started in June. LFS told us to get the red slime remover. We tried it. Minimized feedings. Weekly 1/4 water changes. Minimized the light to about 6 hours/day. Tried to read up on it. Nothing really helped. In late September my tank co-parent dosed too much red slime and my clownies died :( I was devastated.

Since then we started buckling down on the red slime even more. Got some purple up as well. Added the equipment you see at the top. The LFS NEVER TOLD US TO GET A SKIMMER IN THE FIRST PLACE. We surmise this might have caused some of the slime. THe slime is at a minimum now but we are still very cautious of it and are being adamant now that we know more about it.

Current livestock: blood shrimp, 6 small hermits, firefish goby.

My questions: My tank co-parent wants maroon clowns. Will they be too aggressive with the firefish? Does anyone recommend any other equipment? The LFS suggested a wet/dry filter but they would sell us gills to go live in the tank if they could. -__-
What would be some other suitable tank mates? Would love to get another anemone and maybe a mandarin once the one year mark rolls around.

Also- if this is posted in the wrong place someone please lmk and I will repost. Thanks in advance!! :)

This thread is only about marine fish compatibility and is answered only by me. A pair of maroon clownfish need more space than your current tank provides and they would intimidate and kill the firefish. You have a small tank which requires a small number of small fish that are behaviorally compatible.

If you want general commentary, I suggest posting in the Nano Reefs Forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75) where there will be many similar users or in the New to the Hobby (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104) forum as a separate thread.

Deep Reef
12/05/2014, 07:36 AM
Setup: 120 gal mixed reef DT w/40 gal sump
Current fish: kole tang, six line wrasse, 2 ocellaris clowns, Yellow watchmen goby, midas blenny, royal gamma, kaudern's cardinal and a flame angle.

Would it be acceptable to add a yellow tang?

I am also thinking about a pair of fairy wrasse

thanks for your help

snorvich
12/05/2014, 08:22 AM
Setup: 120 gal mixed reef DT w/40 gal sump
Current fish: kole tang, six line wrasse, 2 ocellaris clowns, Yellow watchmen goby, midas blenny, royal gamma, kaudern's cardinal and a flame angle.

Would it be acceptable to add a yellow tang? long term, with another tang, this sized tank may not have sufficient algae. Also an established yellow tang will make adding additional fish difficult

I am also thinking about a pair of fairy wrasse If you take out the six line wrasse . . .

thanks for your help

Always a pleasure

Deep Reef
12/05/2014, 10:48 AM
So it is ok to add the tang?

tfrechette
12/05/2014, 12:29 PM
Have a Nuvo 30L (36 x 13 x 13) 20 lbs LR and LS.

Tank is 4 months old. Presently have:

Pair Kaudern cardinals
Male Flasher type wrasse

They all hide in the rocks until feeding. Would like to get something in there I can actually see.

I had a horned blenny in another tank that was amusing to watch. However I don't think my tank had enough algae for it to eat and I lost him after 2 months.

Thanks.

mls228
12/05/2014, 12:31 PM
Setup:
120 (60") display with 120 basement sump
Bare bottom display, 4" sand in basement refuge
Established for 2.5 years
Mixed LPS and SPS reef

Current stock:
two skunk cleaner shrimp
coral banded shrimp
occelaris clown pair
purple stripe dottyback
starry blenny
coral beauty angel
yellow tang

Wishlist:
banggai cardinal
flame angel
midas blenny
anthias (ignitus? or one that doesn't require multiple feedings/day)
kole tang

Comments:
The dottyback has never shown aggression. The starry blenny seems to be the most dominant fish in the tank followed by anything that goes near the torch coral where the female clown sits.

Question:
Can I add any of the fish from the wishlist?

Thanks,

Mark

snorvich
12/05/2014, 03:41 PM
So it is ok to add the tang?

I would not put a second tang in this sized tank.

snorvich
12/05/2014, 03:43 PM
Have a Nuvo 30L (36 x 13 x 13) 20 lbs LR and LS.

Tank is 4 months old. Presently have:

Pair Kaudern cardinals
Male Flasher type wrasse

They all hide in the rocks until feeding. Would like to get something in there I can actually see.

I had a horned blenny in another tank that was amusing to watch. However I don't think my tank had enough algae for it to eat and I lost him after 2 months.

Thanks.

A flasher wrasse needs a larger tank; cardinal fish don't do much.

snorvich
12/05/2014, 03:46 PM
Setup:
120 (60") display with 120 basement sump
Bare bottom display, 4" sand in basement refuge
Established for 2.5 years
Mixed LPS and SPS reef

Current stock:
two skunk cleaner shrimp
coral banded shrimp can take fish
occelaris clown pair
purple stripe dottyback may be aggressive to new additions
starry blenny may be aggressive to new additions
coral beauty angel
yellow tang

Wishlist:
banggai cardinal no problem
flame angel fine if you use an acclimation box
midas blenny no. The existing blenny will not allow
anthias (ignitus? or one that doesn't require multiple feedings/day)
kole tang

Comments:
The dottyback has never shown aggression. The starry blenny seems to be the most dominant fish in the tank followed by anything that goes near the torch coral where the female clown sits.

Question:
Can I add any of the fish from the wishlist?

Thanks,

Mark

ToddFather4
12/05/2014, 03:57 PM
I have these small things on my rocks and in my sump. Are they a problem? What are they? Should I remove them??

Thanks!!

snorvich
12/05/2014, 04:00 PM
I have these small things on my rocks and in my sump. Are they a problem? What are they? Should I remove them??

Thanks!!

This thread is only about marine fish compatibility. It would be best to post this question as a separate thread in New to the Hobby (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104).

Steelen
12/07/2014, 08:29 AM
While I do not provide recommendations for a variety of reasons, I am always happy to review stocking plans provided tank size is also provided.

My bad. The tank size is 24x20x19(23.62x19.68x18.98) with 24x16x19 (23.62x15.94x18.98) display.

I am unsure what else I could add beside me previous mentioned. And I will steer away from the Chromis if that is the eventual end result, that would be a waste of money in the long run.

Would a Flame Angel work?

snorvich
12/07/2014, 10:32 AM
My bad. The tank size is 24x20x19(23.62x19.68x18.98) with 24x16x19 (23.62x15.94x18.98) display.

I am unsure what else I could add beside me previous mentioned. And I will steer away from the Chromis if that is the eventual end result, that would be a waste of money in the long run.

Would a Flame Angel work?

"gallonage" is sufficient; for the most part I do not need tank measurements, except when tangs are being planned. I am not able to go backwards in this thread so when asking, please provide total stocking plan along with current inhabitants. A flame angel, needs a larger tank than a 40 gallon.

linaalf
12/07/2014, 11:04 PM
This thread is only about marine fish compatibility and is answered only by me. A pair of maroon clownfish need more space than your current tank provides and they would intimidate and kill the firefish. You have a small tank which requires a small number of small fish that are behaviorally compatible.

If you want general commentary, I suggest posting in the Nano Reefs Forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75) where there will be many similar users or in the New to the Hobby (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104) forum as a separate thread.

Thanks so much, Steve! I'm still learning to navigate the forum so I wasn't sure where to post. :)

doctorwhoreefer
12/08/2014, 06:31 AM
My buddy is wondering about this stocking list for his 75 gallon. Can't say I have much experience with the fish listed. Any thoughts appreciated, cheers!

Yasha white ray goby
Red banded snapping shrimp

Tanaka pygmy wrasse

(2) clingfish

(6) sexy shrimp

(2) fighting conch

(2) neon gobies

(3) zebra dartfish (instead of 3 blue chromis)

Lawnmower blenny

Longspine urchin

20 hermit crabs (blue, red, bnw)

snorvich
12/08/2014, 07:04 AM
My buddy is wondering about this stocking list for his 75 gallon. Can't say I have much experience with the fish listed. Any thoughts appreciated, cheers!

Yasha white ray goby
Red banded snapping shrimp

Tanaka pygmy wrasse

(2) clingfish

(6) sexy shrimp clingfish are carnivores, these may be at risk

(2) fighting conch

(2) neon gobies only one

(3) zebra dartfish (instead of 3 blue chromis)

Lawnmower blenny

Longspine urchin

20 hermit crabs (blue, red, bnw)

fine, except as noted

doctorwhoreefer
12/08/2014, 07:55 AM
Isn't the sexy shrimp waaay bigger than a clingfish? (or at least similar size; looks like they have awful small mouths)

Any reason for a single neon vs a pair?

Thanks very much btw! :)

snorvich
12/08/2014, 07:59 AM
Isn't the sexy shrimp waaay bigger than a clingfish? (or at least similar size; looks like they have awful small mouths)

Clingfish can reach about 2 inches. Sexy shrimp are tiny. Your choice, I would not risk it.

Any reason for a single neon vs a pair? Unless you have a bonded pair (which is a very unlikely purchase), they will not get along. Perhaps in a very large tank?

Thanks very much btw! :)

doctorwhoreefer
12/08/2014, 08:15 AM
Gotcha!

Ya, he's planning on a 75, planning to buy a bonded pair. (at least as advertised)
Showed me the ORA hybrid neon gobies, pretty cool little fish. I personally wouldn't spend 80$ on a couple neon gobies though. :)

Another thought as well since I'm here. Aren't the dartfish carnivores as well?

snorvich
12/08/2014, 01:01 PM
Gotcha!

Ya, he's planning on a 75, planning to buy a bonded pair. (at least as advertised)
Showed me the ORA hybrid neon gobies, pretty cool little fish. I personally wouldn't spend 80$ on a couple neon gobies though. :)

Another thought as well since I'm here. Aren't the dartfish carnivores as well?

Yes, they are. Sexy shrimp will be a problem there as well.

JustAHobbiest
12/08/2014, 02:30 PM
Hi there. Been following this thread for a while and was wondering if I could ask you a personal question. I love all your advice and you seem very knowledgeable with community tanks and species. With that being said I was wondering out of all the fish in the sea why you choose the more peaceful and friendly community tanks over say FOWLR. Are you the "the fish compliment the ocean" type person or "the ocean compliment the fish" type person. Just wondering if you know any secret information the rest of us dont. Thanks in advance.

snorvich
12/08/2014, 02:41 PM
Hi there. Been following this thread for a while and was wondering if I could ask you a personal question. I love all your advice and you seem very knowledgeable with community tanks and species. With that being said I was wondering out of all the fish in the sea why you choose the more peaceful and friendly community tanks over say FOWLR. Are you the "the fish compliment the ocean" type person or "the ocean compliment the fish" type person. Just wondering if you know any secret information the rest of us dont. Thanks in advance.

I have kept reef tanks, fowlr tanks, and single species predator tanks in my 30 years of salt water tank experience. I have also kept and bred fresh water fish (angel fish, bettas, gouramis). My personal preferences on what I currently keep (2 large reef tanks) come from nearly 3000 salt water dives. However, I do not provide advice on aggressive fish community tanks where one tank inhabitant can or will eat another.

lt.smash
12/08/2014, 08:28 PM
We are looking to add a wrase. Right now everyone gets along great.

65 gallon reef tank
150 ReefOctopus Skimmer
20gallon sump

1. Yellow Tang
1. Blue Regal
1. Watchmen Goby
1. Cardnial
2. ClownFish

Tank has been running for about 1 yr. Tested the param and all is perfect.

jspearse
12/08/2014, 08:43 PM
Was wondering if I could get some advice on my upcoming reef tank. Just waiting to cycle and wanted to see if what I wanted would be compatible. Figured I have a while before I can add anything might as well start asking now. 28g Nano Cube. 30 lbs live rock, 1 1/2 - 2 in sand bed. Aquamaxx hob 1 skimmer. I have also ordered the list from most desirable down. Thank you for any input. I realize this may be too many. Just curious is all.

Wishlist:

1- The obligatory clownfish (either occ, or semi-Picasso percula)
1- Helfrichi firefish
1- pygmy or white banded possum wrasse
1- starry blenny
1- banggai cardinal
1- chalk bass

snorvich
12/08/2014, 08:53 PM
We are looking to add a wrase. Right now everyone gets along great.

65 gallon reef tank
150 ReefOctopus Skimmer
20gallon sump

1. Yellow Tang needs a larger tank
1. Blue Regal needs a much larger tank
1. Watchmen Goby
1. Cardnial
2. ClownFish

Tank has been running for about 1 yr. Tested the param and all is perfect.

I would not any fish; in fact I would remove the P. hepatus

snorvich
12/08/2014, 08:55 PM
Was wondering if I could get some advice on my upcoming reef tank. Just waiting to cycle and wanted to see if what I wanted would be compatible. Figured I have a while before I can add anything might as well start asking now. 28g Nano Cube. 30 lbs live rock, 1 1/2 - 2 in sand bed. Aquamaxx hob 1 skimmer. I have also ordered the list from most desirable down. Thank you for any input. I realize this may be too many. Just curious is all.

Wishlist:

1- The obligatory clownfish (either occ, or semi-Picasso percula)
1- Helfrichi firefish
1- pygmy or white banded possum wrasse
1- starry blenny
1- banggai cardinal
1- chalk bass

Probably one too many fish; the one I suggest eliminating is the clownfish since it will become aggressive once sexually mature and want to control about 25 gallons of tank space

lt.smash
12/08/2014, 09:08 PM
I would not any fish; in fact I would remove the P. hepatus

yea, i figured you say that, these are about the size of the clowns, FWIW

Thanks for the feedback, even if its not what I wanted to hear..

jspearse
12/09/2014, 05:12 AM
Probably one too many fish; the one I suggest eliminating is the clownfish since it will become aggressive once sexually mature and want to control about 25 gallons of tank space

Thank you for your advice. :)

m0nkie
12/09/2014, 11:11 PM
100 gal + 40 gal sump with fuge.

I have a mandarin for about 3 months now. Very fat, does not eat prepared food.

would it be safe to add a yellow corris wrasse for some pest control? have a nudi problem.

thanks

Hayden280
12/10/2014, 01:08 AM
Hi I am new to R2R but not to the hobby! Glad to see that everyone gets along and helps out with each other problems. Awesome!!!

I just started up a new tank cause my wife and I moved to Crystal Lake IL from Texas and was forced to sell my stuff. I don't know why its to cold up here for a Texas boy. Actually we had our first child and with her parents being older we decided to make that hike up north. Anyways I'm glad to be back in the hobby and super excited to learn new stuff on here.

I currently just started a JBJ 30 GAL rimless cause that all my wife said i could get...... But its something. its been running for 3 and a half weeks now with 20ibs live rock 2 bags of the live sand, the JBJ trinity T5 lights, Hydor ATO, Jebao doser, and ex.... glad to be back!!!!

silvercharm
12/10/2014, 01:37 AM
50 gallon w/ 30 gallon sump. Liverock, reef octopus skimmer.

Ok so here is my tentative fish plan:
Pair of clownfish (already have in my 29 gallon)
Bengaii cardinal
Orange Spot Goby
Firefish
Six Line or Carpenter Wrasse

Is this too many fish for 50 gallon? What, if anything, would you change?

snorvich
12/10/2014, 06:53 AM
100 gal + 40 gal sump with fuge.

I have a mandarin for about 3 months now. Very fat, does not eat prepared food.

would it be safe to add a yellow corris wrasse for some pest control? have a nudi problem.

thanks

I would not. halichores wrasses do consume copepods as well as undesirables and your tank size is ok for one, but not for two.

snorvich
12/10/2014, 06:56 AM
Hi I am new to clay-boa but not to the hobby! Glad to see that everyone gets along and helps out with each other problems. Awesome!!!

I just started up a new tank cause my wife and I moved to Crystal Lake IL from Texas and was forced to sell my stuff. I don't know why its to cold up here for a Texas boy. Actually we had our first child and with her parents being older we decided to make that hike up north. Anyways I'm glad to be back in the hobby and super excited to learn new stuff on here.

I currently just started a JBJ 30 GAL rimless cause that all my wife said i could get...... But its something. its been running for 3 and a half weeks now with 20ibs live rock 2 bags of the live sand, the JBJ trinity T5 lights, Hydor ATO, Jebao doser, and ex.... glad to be back!!!!

This is not clay-boa, it is Reef Central. This thread is only about Marine fish compatibility; if you have questions in that area, check back with stocking plans and tank size.

snorvich
12/10/2014, 06:57 AM
50 gallon w/ 30 gallon sump. Liverock, reef octopus skimmer.

Ok so here is my tentative fish plan:
Pair of clownfish (already have in my 29 gallon)
Bengaii cardinal
Orange Spot Goby
Firefish
Six Line no six line wrasse; very aggressive especially in small tanks or Carpenter Wrasse marginal in this sized tank.

Is this too many fish for 50 gallon? What, if anything, would you change? Fine except as noted

zamboni200000
12/10/2014, 07:11 AM
Snorvich,

Do you think a candy basslet (if I can find one) would do ok in a 10g nuvo fusion? Nano box tide light and an upgraded pump for more flow. It would be the only fish in the tank.

snorvich
12/10/2014, 08:04 AM
Snorvich,

Do you think a candy basslet (if I can find one) would do ok in a 10g nuvo fusion? Nano box tide light and an upgraded pump for more flow. It would be the only fish in the tank.

Yes. But only if it is the only fish.

c_wags9
12/10/2014, 11:27 AM
I have a 55 gallon and was planning on restocking. Here are my ideas:

- 2 occelaris clowns
- Midas blenny
- royal gramma
- melanarus wrasse
- some kind of goby but not sure yet.

DylanF1
12/10/2014, 11:30 AM
I'm currently quarantining two Ocellaris Clowns and a blue neon goby for a new 29 gallon standard and 10 gallon refugium/sump setup. I plan on having a mixed reef. Running a BH-1000 skimmer and GFO/carbon reactors. I would like to add a green or red mandarin and a fire fish later. Using the surface area/inch of fish method this seems borderline but probably ok. Would this combination of fish be ok?

snorvich
12/10/2014, 03:29 PM
I have a 55 gallon and was planning on restocking. Here are my ideas:

- 2 occelaris clowns
- Midas blenny
- royal gramma
- melanarus wrasse
- some kind of goby but not sure yet.

should be fine

snorvich
12/10/2014, 03:30 PM
I'm currently quarantining two Ocellaris Clowns and a blue neon goby for a new 29 gallon standard and 10 gallon refugium/sump setup. I plan on having a mixed reef. Running a BH-1000 skimmer and GFO/carbon reactors. I would like to add a green or red mandarin and a fire fish later. Using the surface area/inch of fish method this seems borderline but probably ok. Would this combination of fish be ok?

There is no such thing as a "surface area/inch of fish method". The firefish will be fine, the mandarin will starve to death without exceptional efforts.

DylanF1
12/10/2014, 03:58 PM
There is no such thing as a "surface area/inch of fish method". The firefish will be fine, the mandarin will starve to death without exceptional efforts.

I have read several places that a good tool to estimate the total linear inches of fish for a tank is take the surface area of the water exposed to air dived by 48in^2. If there is no such thing as that, do you have a suggestion for estimating the total number of fish that should be put in an aquarium? I understand there are many of factors that determine what can be kept. Just looking for a simple method to estimate quantity.

shiftline
12/10/2014, 04:43 PM
Hey guys. I'm new to salt from the planted tank realm and am planning out a nano salt tank

It will be a reef tank. However the coral selection is still TBD

Tank 12G Fluval edge

10-12lbs live rock.
Jebao RW-4 Wavemaker
Stock aquaclear 20 (mechanical filtration for now. may turn into amini fuge..)
Lighting 36W led which will be dimmed down. room for future coral expansion

1x Yellow Clown Goby
1x Banggai CardinaFish (possibly? Oky for 12g?) .. Still searching for other appropriate nano fish

Bottom Dweller
Green Glown Goby or watchamnn goby

Inverts
1x Fire Shrimp
1-2x Cleaner shrimp

Thanks for the help/advice!

mike1024
12/10/2014, 04:52 PM
Hi. Here's a revised list, if you don't mind. This is a 30 gallon tank (some of which is used by a built-in sump), no external sump, 25lbs of live rock. No fish yet. How's this for a plan, in order of introduction?

Banggai cardinal (in QT)
Royal gramma
Orange stripe prawn goby
Zebra barred dartfish
Pair of Occelaris clownfish

This list used to have a firefish instead of the dartfish, which you thought was ok, but the dartfish gets a little bigger so I was wondering if its still ok.
Thanks in advance!

snorvich
12/10/2014, 05:49 PM
I have read several places that a good tool to estimate the total linear inches of fish for a tank is take the surface area of the water exposed to air dived by 48in^2. If there is no such thing as that, do you have a suggestion for estimating the total number of fish that should be put in an aquarium? I understand there are many of factors that determine what can be kept. Just looking for a simple method to estimate quantity.

There are no simple or even complex rules. You need to consider fish size, fish behavior, fish ecological niche, fish need for territory, and fish activity level, and for some fish, tank length. If you are reading that there are rules like that, you are reading the wrong stuff.

snorvich
12/10/2014, 05:52 PM
Hey guys. I'm new to salt from the planted tank realm and am planning out a nano salt tank

It will be a reef tank. However the coral selection is still TBD

Tank 12G Fluval edge

10-12lbs live rock.
Jebao RW-4 Wavemaker
Stock aquaclear 20 (mechanical filtration for now. may turn into amini fuge..)
Lighting 36W led which will be dimmed down. room for future coral expansion

1x Yellow Clown Goby
1x Banggai CardinaFish needs a larger tank (possibly? Oky for 12g?) .. Still searching for other appropriate nano fish

Bottom Dweller
Green Glown Goby or watchamnn goby

Inverts
1x Fire Shrimp
1-2x Cleaner shrimp

Thanks for the help/advice!

You can have two non-territorial requiring small fish in this sized tank. Shrimp of the type you selected are fine.

snorvich
12/10/2014, 05:55 PM
Hi. Here's a revised list, if you don't mind.

Never a problem, feel free to resubmit

This is a 30 gallon tank (some of which is used by a built-in sump), no external sump, 25lbs of live rock. No fish yet. How's this for a plan, in order of introduction?

Banggai cardinal (in QT)
Royal gramma
Orange stripe prawn goby
Zebra barred dartfish
Pair of Occelaris clownfish

The clownfish, once sexually mature, will be the binding constraint on this sized tank as they will want to control 20-25 gallons of tank space. If you subtract the clownfish, the list above is fine.

This list used to have a firefish instead of the dartfish, which you thought was ok, but the dartfish gets a little bigger so I was wondering if its still ok.
Thanks in advance!

mike1024
12/10/2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks Steve, really appreciate the help. Just to make sure I understood: it's not firefish vs dartfish, neither would work in a tank this size combined with clowns?

snorvich
12/10/2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks Steve, really appreciate the help. Just to make sure I understood: it's not firefish vs dartfish, neither would work in a tank this size combined with clowns?

The problem is that firefish are easily intimidated and you would rarely see the dartfish once the clownfish become sexually mature because they would guard their 20-25 gallons of tank space.

mike1024
12/10/2014, 08:54 PM
The problem is that firefish are easily intimidated and you would rarely see the dartfish once the clownfish become sexually mature because they would guard their 20-25 gallons of tank space.

Understood. Thanks again! I should have started with a larger tank.

snorvich
12/10/2014, 08:57 PM
Understood. Thanks again! I should have started with a larger tank.

You can be like the rest of us who anticipate their next upgrade. :D

AmberLee
12/11/2014, 02:56 AM
So after constantly using this site viewing other peoples questions, I have finally decided to join!

I am purchasing an AquaReef 275 Cube soon, and will be starting my first marine tank. It's a 275L (72 Gallon) cube tank, lighting, sump and skimmer included. http://www.fantaseaaquariums.com.au/...e-aquareef-275

Eventually I will be getting corals, so I need fish that will be reef safe

This is my wish list for stocking so far:

Banggai Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal (Spotted Cardinal)
2 x Ocellaris clownfish
Purple Firefish
and a peppermint shrimp.

I am wondering what else I can add to the tank, I want a nice feature fish that will stand out but get along with the others.

Also thinking a Goby and Shrimp pair would be awesome!

netsav
12/11/2014, 07:13 AM
Hi Steve,

I have been refining my plans for my currently cycling DT and would appreciate your thoughts. Tank is 34 gallons (inc rear sump) and has 45lbs of live rock. Current CUC is assorted snails but plan on adding 2 skunk cleaner shrimps later. Will also be adding softies and LPS corals.

Current stock in QT:

1 Bicolour Blenny

Planned additions:

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Hi-Fin (Antenna) goby with Alpheus Randalli pistol shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
1 Banggai Cardinalfish

I would also like your thoughts on any stocking order I should follow.

Thank you!

snorvich
12/11/2014, 07:27 AM
Hi Steve,

I have been refining my plans for my currently cycling DT and would appreciate your thoughts. Tank is 34 gallons (inc rear sump) and has 45lbs of live rock. Current CUC is assorted snails but plan on adding 2 skunk cleaner shrimps later. Will also be adding softies and LPS corals.

Current stock in QT:

1 Bicolour Blenny

Planned additions:

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Hi-Fin (Antenna) goby with Alpheus Randalli pistol shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
1 Banggai Cardinalfish

I would also like your thoughts on any stocking order I should follow.

Thank you!

should be fine; royal gramma last

netsav
12/11/2014, 07:55 AM
Wow! A response within 15 minutes...you provide an incredible service Steve!

Blakperl21
12/11/2014, 01:33 PM
we have a 125g with 55g refugium, skimmer, live rock.

Currently have mixed reef - softies, LPS, & mushrooms.

Current fish: Perc clown, royal Gramma, neon goby, & Pink Spotted Watchman Goby

We are currently tying to plan out our future stocking list. Here are some of the ideas we have:
McCosker's Wrasse (this is pretty much a set thing, we have a covered tank as sadly we learned that lesson several years ago and do not wish to repeat it)
Scott's Fairy Wrasse
Purple firefish
Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk (only if we decide not to go with any shrimp. the verdict is still out)

We were in the LFS store today and saw a Hectors' Goby that my husband liked. This would be a consideration, however did not know how that would go with the neon goby and if they will coexist.

Also saw a red tail honey damsel, that we were told by LFS was peaceful??? I cannot find much info on this and thought that damsels tended to be aggressive. We would be happy with this instead of Hawk if we decide to get shrimp and it would work with the above fish.

Would like a larger fish, however not really interested in Tangs or Angels. So we are pretty early in the planning stage.
Thanks for any advise.

snorvich
12/11/2014, 02:25 PM
we have a 125g with 55g refugium, skimmer, live rock.

Currently have mixed reef - softies, LPS, & mushrooms.

Current fish: Perc clown, royal Gramma, neon goby, & Pink Spotted Watchman Goby

We are currently tying to plan out our future stocking list. Here are some of the ideas we have:
McCosker's Wrasse (this is pretty much a set thing, we have a covered tank as sadly we learned that lesson several years ago and do not wish to repeat it)
Scott's Fairy Wrasse I would advise against this because of its aggressive nature and because over time it will lose coloration absent a female; I would suggest replacement with another flasher wrasse of a different species (except 8-line from Red Sea)
Purple firefish
Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk (only if we decide not to go with any shrimp. the verdict is still out) As you know, not shrimp safe

We were in the LFS store today and saw a Hectors' Goby that my husband liked. This would be a consideration, however did not know how that would go with the neon goby and if they will coexist. should be fine

Also saw a red tail honey damsel, that we were told by LFS was peaceful??? I cannot find much info on this and thought that damsels tended to be aggressive. We would be happy with this instead of Hawk if we decide to get shrimp and it would work with the above fish. because of their aggressive nature, I do not recommend stegaster mellis or any other damsel.

Would like a larger fish, however not really interested in Tangs or Angels. So we are pretty early in the planning stage.
Thanks for any advise.

Always a pleasure, check back with any revisions

Blakperl21
12/11/2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the input! I really didn't believe it when they said the damsels were peaceful, but just wanted to double check. Appreciate the feedback.

Blakperl21
12/11/2014, 04:09 PM
How many flasher wrasses could you keep in a 125 with the above list?

AmberLee
12/11/2014, 04:39 PM
Steve, can you please check my list?

snorvich
12/11/2014, 07:01 PM
How many flasher wrasses could you keep in a 125 with the above list?

No real answer. 3-4 would be safe but not of the same species. However, with different species you can have a male and multiple females.

snorvich
12/11/2014, 07:02 PM
Steve, can you please check my list?

Sure, I would be happy to do so. Be sure to provide tank size and total fish stocking plan.