PDA

View Full Version : Will these fish get along?

acpoweradapter
09/09/2011, 10:52 PM
I am going to get some fish for my tank in the next few months. Its a 20 gal with a skimmer. Its a mixed reef right now, SPS and Zoas.

I would like to get:
4 Clown Gobies: Yellow, Green, Black, Brown.

Then later on, add something else:
Tanaka Wrasse
Swiss Basslet
Bangaii Cardinal
ORA Mandarin

My current livestock is just snails and a hermit along with various coral. I may add a cleaner shrimp soon.

Would these all get along? What would you get from this list? Anything I should consider?

I am hesitant on the wrasse because I'm not sure if I want to add a top yet, and don't want to come home to a fish on the floor so that may be out.

Sigmund
09/10/2011, 09:27 AM
For a 20 gallon I would stay away from the Bangaii (too small of a tank IMH). As far as the Mandarin goes tank is probably not big enough to support an appropriate POD population for it.

Gobies would work, I have had three in 10gallon before with no problems. I think the 4 clown gobies with the Swissguard basslet would be a nice combination of fish and nice combo of color.

curlykid
09/10/2011, 09:41 AM
fortunately the mandarin is from ORA so it should be eating nutrimar ova. your stocklist looks great, aside from the cardinal. that one needs to go. also, clown gobies will lay eggs on coral and sit on them, eventually causing death to the coral. A swissgaurd basslet, a possum wrasse, and the mandarin would be good. but make sure it's eating what it's supposed to.

phishsauce
09/10/2011, 04:13 PM
Those gobys may not get along, reason being is they're sand dwellers and once they establish a home, they become very territorial. You may get away with 2 for sure, but 4... a bit sketchy.

spieszak
09/10/2011, 04:16 PM
clown gobies are NOT sand dwellers.

acpoweradapter
09/10/2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I mainly wanted the gobies, but wasn't sure how territorial they would get. I knew they would sit on corals, but I had never heard of them laying eggs on coral.

I only wanted one of the other set. I think 5 fish is plenty. I'll stay away from the cardinal. I will most likely start with gobies and just see what I can find from the rest of the list. I would love the mandarin, but I don't want to risk it not having enough food so I may wait on that as well.

Thanks guys!

small alien
09/10/2011, 10:08 PM
A Bangaii cardinal is fine for a 20. They barely swim at all.

Obviously you like clown gobies, but I would suggest you pick your favorite and then add the cardinal, basslet and a couple other smllish gobies. Maybe a yasa hashe with a pistol shrimp.

Good luck. You can put a lot more in a small tank if the fish occupy different types of territories.