PDA

View Full Version : grouper not acting right

cudamaster13
09/09/2011, 10:22 PM
grouper keeps staying in one spot and faceing down he also wouldnt eat today i just did a waterchange wat does this mean?it is a minatus grouper

cudamaster13
09/10/2011, 11:00 AM
grouper keeps staying in one spot and faceing down he also wouldnt eat today i just did a waterchange wat does this mean?it is a minatus grouper

is this bad wat should i do

fish stalker
09/10/2011, 11:27 AM
How long have you had it for and when last did it eat? They need a cave or hiding place to get comfortable, once established they will dart out for food etc. I've had mine for almost two years and it swims out in the open quite often now but didn't in the beginning. I don't feed mine every day. Hope that helps, if the fish is new you may need time for it to get settled. What tank mates do you have in with it?

cudamaster13
09/10/2011, 11:12 PM
How long have you had it for and when last did it eat? They need a cave or hiding place to get comfortable, once established they will dart out for food etc. I've had mine for almost two years and it swims out in the open quite often now but didn't in the beginning. I don't feed mine every day. Hope that helps, if the fish is new you may need time for it to get settled. What tank mates do you have in with it?

ive had him for almost two mounths he last ate tuesday or wensday he was very skittish even at the lfs he is with a moray,three archers i converted to salt and a large fiddler crab with a broken claw that somehow manages to survive my moray wont even attack him but he was fine until friday

cudamaster13
09/10/2011, 11:38 PM
tried again today but he still wont eat he just hides all day and he is takeing heavy breaths he has no interest in food if my moray wasnt eating either than i would somewat know wats wrong both him and the grouper hang out but unfortanately hes just lazy and would rather me feed him with a feeding stick right in front of him but wat should i do with the grouper the garlic elixir that is suppoesd to get him more hungry isnt even working im getting my water tested tomorrow by the pros at the lfs but so far sg is inbetween 1.022 and 1.023,the ph is 8.3 nitrates low wat is going on?:headwallblue::worried2:

cudamaster13
09/11/2011, 01:07 PM
tried again today but he still wont eat he just hides all day and he is takeing heavy breaths he has no interest in food if my moray wasnt eating either than i would somewat know wats wrong both him and the grouper hang out but unfortanately hes just lazy and would rather me feed him with a feeding stick right in front of him but wat should i do with the grouper the garlic elixir that is suppoesd to get him more hungry isnt even working im getting my water tested tomorrow by the pros at the lfs but so far sg is inbetween 1.022 and 1.023,the ph is 8.3 nitrates low wat is going on?:headwallblue::worried2:

?????????

AlexS95
09/11/2011, 01:15 PM
Post in the NTTH section, more people look there.

cudamaster13
09/11/2011, 06:13 PM
after enlarging his live rock caves he is acting more normal agian

fish stalker
09/11/2011, 09:33 PM
That's good news, hope it continues. Once they have their cave/ hideouts the way they want them IMO they settle down.

lhm nole
09/11/2011, 11:43 PM
after enlarging his live rock caves he is acting more normal agianMust be female j/k good to hear

cudamaster13
09/12/2011, 05:36 PM
my hope did not last once again he is back to faceing down in the corner and lets a yellow tang i bought yesterday roam around the caves yesterday he would charge the tang if it came near the cave ill see if he eats tomorrow could this be from a lack of nutrients? he eats hikari frozen krill with garlic elixir but anyways if he eats tomorrow than i guess hes fine if not wat is the problem?

cudamaster13
09/14/2011, 04:06 PM
still not eating is faceing down in tank behind rocks and will not eat has anyone with expeirience with minatus or other related groupers know wat might be happening?

jwm2k3
09/15/2011, 09:50 PM
Stop buying fish. At least till your problem goes away. Grouper are quite hardy and strong but once unsettled they may take a while to chill out. The more you mess with the tank (adding fish, persistantly trying to feed it when it wont take food, etc.) the more he will be stressed.

Having said that, my guess is hes either not happy with the water or has a disease or infection(internal/gills/stomach, etc.). I would make small water changes (10%) daily or every other day with new water. Also, did you add any new electronics to tank? Could be electric current in the water thats bothering him.

Do you have a quaranteen tank? Maybe take him out and treat in qt for infection or parasite infestation. Parasites arent always on outside of fish.

Good luck.