PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 5017 sensible for surrounding lights?

NorwayEagle
09/10/2011, 06:27 AM
Hello

I have a Tunze osmolator that has been working fine for about 7-8 months. This is a second-hand unit, and the former owner had just used it a few weeks.

Two weeks ago the alarm started to go on at one time each day. The "Too High" was lit constantly and the "Too Low" was flickering on and off.
It was solved temporarily by cutting the power, putting it back on and then the unit was OK until the same time next day.
According to the manual this failure claims that there are a water damage to the controller, but I am sure there has been no spilling to the unit.

The unit is mounted in one reeftank placed in a rack with other tanks, in total there are now 3 tanks in use in the rack, but there are space for 6 tanks each 90x60x40 cm. The osmolator only control the added RO water which is replaced due to evaporation.

Light on all used tanks are controlled by timers. The reeftank is on the top position of the rack, and I have found that the alarm goes on exactly at the time when light is lit in the tank below.

I have tried to reposition the level sensor unit on several places in the tank to see if this can help, but without any success.

Then I just moved the 5017 box itself. It has been lying loose on a shelf and only by moving it some inches in several directions the problem with alarm was solved.

My question then is; is it a plausible explanation that the blue 5017 box itself is sensitive to surroundig lights, or could my unit be damaged only due to possible humidity?

rvitko
09/13/2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, not the light but the magnetic interference of the ballast is the cause. It can be solved by using a different power outlet from the light and moving the controller away from the ballast/light fixture.

NorwayEagle
09/13/2011, 03:59 PM
The osmolator and light is connected to two different power outlets, but I have moved the 5017 unit itself, and "isolated" it by putting it into a plasticbox. After doing this the alarm has not come back.

Thank you for clearing out this issue for me.

By the way I meant of course sensitive, not sensible in my original post:rolleye1:

rvitko
09/13/2011, 04:53 PM
No problem, I am happy it is solved.