PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

zeroeffect
09/10/2011, 07:32 AM
So about two months ago out first tank 125g started leaking out of know where about 10 min before we went to bed.
We ended up saving everything that was in the tank we put everything into the medical tank we have in the other room.

We went out and got a new reef ready tank same size and added everything to the new tank, Sand,LR,coral, ect.
My question is this we are seeing alot of green hair and brown showing up everywhere now, where before we had little to none before the old tank.

The only thing that is really different now is that we moved the tank over about 6ft and its now reef ready.

We have checked the water a few times now and everything looks great with the water, coral and fish are happy and growing.

any ideas on what might be going on?

FishAddict87
09/10/2011, 07:51 AM
I'm not totally quilified to give advice but I'll give it a shot...are you leaving your lights on for a longer time than usual? And is the tank in reach of any sunlight because that can promote algea growth. May I suggest maybe considering a fish that would graze on algea? I have a starry blenny who grazes all the time with a great personality.

zeroeffect
09/10/2011, 07:58 AM
lol my wife and I were just talking about that lastnight. When we moved the tank over we moved it infront of a door way to block it. Now we are getting sunlight from two sides.
For the fish part we have a bres tooth tang that was killing our blennys/gobys
we got him out when our tank went bad on us.
just havent had the money to get any new fish yet.

Thanks for the info I would say your dead on with the sunlight. Now I need to figure out how to keep the sunlight out.

thebkramer
09/10/2011, 08:02 AM
zeroeffect... we have very similar stories!!!
my 55g started leaking.. I switched everything over to a new tank.. and then I went through algae blooms... I'm pretty (and the consensus was) sure that during the switch we kicked up a bunch of sediment and organics that cause a increase in phosphates and nitrates.. possibly even some ammonia and nitrites.. your water isn't reading phosphates or nitrates because the algae is using it to feed from it...
I personally went through a "new tank syndrome bloom" I saw GHA, diatoms and cyano over the first few weeks... now 3 months later everything is okay again :lol2:

thebkramer
09/10/2011, 08:03 AM
lol my wife and I were just talking about that lastnight. When we moved the tank over we moved it infront of a door way to block it. Now we are getting sunlight from two sides.

is it direct sunlight??

zeroeffect
09/10/2011, 08:11 AM
well I guess it could be that or a few things.
My wife added the rock and sand back into the tank when I was at work, when I came home the next morning I about fell over from a nasty smell in the house. come to find out the sand that we save and put into a 75g drum with a pump had stopped working at some point and she added it anyways.
But after I turned on the skimmer it cleaned it and the smell up with in a few hours.

So I guess it could be a few things.

zeroeffect
09/10/2011, 08:14 AM
We are getting morning sunlight in the front and evening sunlight in the back.
it hits it good on both sides everyday.

00Warpig00
09/10/2011, 08:29 AM
Did you put in all new saltwater or transfer the water from the old tank? If you put in new water did it come from RO/DI unit? If so how are your RO/DI filters. Any new water could have nutrients in it.

Nick

thebkramer
09/10/2011, 08:31 AM
UGH!! I know that smell!!! :lol: I bet that is your major benefactor in your algae issues right now!! Talk about a good skimmer!! if it helped that quickly!!! was there also a major dust storm?? I had one and I believe that was a major part in what I saw.. along with the rock that had lots of "dirt" inside that hadn't been moved in forever !! lol

as for the sun... do you have curtains? keep them closed during those hours? how long does it directly hit? my tank sees direct sun in the later hours of the day for about an hour.. the biggest issue it gives me is more algae on the left side of the glass.. thats it.. my clowns LOVE the sun lol when I'm home I close the blinds.. but can't always do that.. another suggestion would be.. to put a towel over the side of the tank during the "peak" hours.. ugly, yes.. but may benefit the tank...
maybe some other reefers can give suggestions... but I think its more to do with the recent "move" than the sun ;)

also.. are you using RO/DI or tap for w/c and top offs??

zeroeffect
09/10/2011, 08:40 AM
Did you put in all new saltwater or transfer the water from the old tank? If you put in new water did it come from RO/DI unit? If so how are your RO/DI filters. Any new water could have nutrients in it.

Nick

No we added new RO/DI water into the tank. The Ro/DI unit is only about 7 months old I would say. We got it about 3 or 4 months after out first tank.

And the filters look good.

zeroeffect
09/10/2011, 08:44 AM
Oh yeah it was nasty when I got home. she had the mp40s going. It cleared up fast I like out skimmer very much it has a huge cup on it and thats nice,
I had to clean it out a few times that day.

We do have curtains but they really don't help much for keeping light out.

UGH!! I know that smell!!! :lol: I bet that is your major benefactor in your algae issues right now!! Talk about a good skimmer!! if it helped that quickly!!! was there also a major dust storm?? I had one and I believe that was a major part in what I saw.. along with the rock that had lots of "dirt" inside that hadn't been moved in forever !! lol

as for the sun... do you have curtains? keep them closed during those hours? how long does it directly hit? my tank sees direct sun in the later hours of the day for about an hour.. the biggest issue it gives me is more algae on the left side of the glass.. thats it.. my clowns LOVE the sun lol when I'm home I close the blinds.. but can't always do that.. another suggestion would be.. to put a towel over the side of the tank during the "peak" hours.. ugly, yes.. but may benefit the tank...
maybe some other reefers can give suggestions... but I think its more to do with the recent "move" than the sun ;)

also.. are you using RO/DI or tap for w/c and top offs??