PDA

View Full Version : New corals came in bleached, what to do?

The Punisher
09/10/2011, 02:41 PM
I currently have several SPS colonies in my tank that are doing great. I just ordered some frags online for the first time and they came in bleached pretty bad. I acclimated them and put them in the tank and the next day they were totally white. At what point do I consider them dead? I'm guessing and hoping that they aren't goners yet, and that they'll come around and start coloring up, and from what I'm reading that may take a while. I'm just curious if I can do anything to speed up the process and at what point I should pull them out and cut my losses. I've been keeping SPS for a while but have never had this problem and would appreciate any help.

BuckeyeTodd
09/10/2011, 03:49 PM
I consider mine goners when they are solid white and a brown film algae forms like forms on the glass after a few days...I've had bleached pieces come back, but once algae forms on them they're goners

The Punisher
09/10/2011, 03:54 PM
So you've had solid white pieces come back? These are both solid white right now. I haven't seen any polyp extension but I haven't been home much lately top be observing.

rogerwilco357
09/10/2011, 04:42 PM
pics?

BuckeyeTodd
09/10/2011, 04:58 PM
So you've had solid white pieces come back? These are both solid white right now. I haven't seen any polyp extension but I haven't been home much lately top be observing.

Yes I've had pieces solid white come back. One I remember specifically got stung and turned all white. I threw it in the back of my tank, and found it growing and colored up when I moved some rocks a couple months later.

The Punisher
09/10/2011, 05:22 PM
pics?

I'll get pics tomorrow for sure. Too deep in the Natty's and football to take pics right now.

The Punisher
09/10/2011, 08:14 PM
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/willdumas/2011-09-10192352.jpg

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/willdumas/2011-09-10192529.jpg

Pics from my phone, I'll get better ones tomorrow.

batt600
09/10/2011, 08:16 PM
Was this Mr coral you ordered from ?...

The Punisher
09/10/2011, 08:20 PM
Was this Mr coral you ordered from ?...

wow, how'd you know. I knew the risks going in with this order and the other frags I got are doing good so far.

batt600
09/10/2011, 08:29 PM
I ordered from them before all was good but a friend ordered last week and 12 frags dead and 8 bleached like your but still alive . I dont think it has to do with MR Coral but the shipping company . My friend got his and he told me the water in the bags were cold . Was the water in the bag cold because UPS has ac on the trucks

The Punisher
09/10/2011, 08:36 PM
The water was 70°. The UPS truck was a standard freight truck and he got to my house at around 9:00 am. The box it came in had 1/2" styrofoam on all six sides, I thought it was pretty good, except for the fact that each frag was in a tiny bag with minimal water.

reeffreak25
09/10/2011, 08:49 PM
I bought a few frags from there too, against my better judgement. I was cruising their site at like 2:00am when I should've been sleeping, and figured what the heck. The same thing happened to me. I wanted to post about it in the experiences forum but I've seen a lot of those come across the wrong way. I think Mr. Coral needs to improve their shipping methods. I don't know about others, but my frags were really fresh and shipped in about 1/4 cup of water. I've never had a problem with other vendors that use UPS, and better shipping practices. I just cut my losses.

*Not sure how much water it actually was but it was rediculously little.

Jakef150
09/11/2011, 08:01 AM
Try to leave it alone for a week and see what will happen..

You should bug mr coral ;)

Happened to me too from mr coral....he refused giving me store credit...so I stopped business with him..

I ordered other vendor online with zero problem.

Jake

The Punisher
09/11/2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I went against my better judgement too. I'm going to give them some time and se how they do.

dunk373
09/11/2011, 02:54 PM
about a week ago i got 31 frags from him too 10 had color 4 arrived bleached i took pictures they were considered doa think they are giving store credit. I placed them low and let them go don't touch or mess with them. most were very light and some got worse. about 1.5 to 2 weeks now and they are gaining color four look bad but two are dead with algae on them. they get a coral in cut it a bunch of times and sell it its a chop shop from what ive heard