PDA

View Full Version : Should I cycle my QT tank

clowntriggerfis
09/10/2011, 05:03 PM
should I cycle my quarantine tank

mfinn
09/10/2011, 05:20 PM
In this q-tank, what do you plan on using for a biological filter?

I only set up my q-tank when I need to use it.
I keep a large sponge filter in the sump of my display tank.
When I plan on buying some fish, I make up new water for it, add the already seeded sponge filter, a heater, small powerhead, and some large dia. pieces of pvc pipe and have a instant q-tank.

00Warpig00
09/10/2011, 05:29 PM
Some will say no... others will say yes...

I cycle mine so that the filters are primed with all the needed bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrites for any fish that are going to have to live there from 4 to however many weeks it takes until I am satisfied they are healthy.

I look at the QT tank as a refuge for the fish to build strength, be observed and reasonably assured the fish is healthy before introducing it and any diseases it may carry to your display tank as well as a time to get him/her used to your presence and a regular feeding schedule.

The fish has been through allot, capture, transport, transport again. Been from tank to tank to tank all most likely over a short time frame. Could be weakened and is most likely stressed out at a minimum. The last thing I want to do to my new pet is dump him into another of the many tanks he will be in, but I need to to protect my other fish in the display, the least I can do is not dump him into a tank that cant remove toxins from the water he has to live in for the next month or two. I'm trying to improve his health, not make it worse by having to deal with toxins on top of what he's already going through.

Thats just my outlook on it.

Nick

clowntriggerfis
09/10/2011, 05:32 PM
I plan to keep it set up the whole time and will have three waterfall filters and no subtrate and pvc but will clean the tank and do 100% water changes if I get a sick fish

alexrex20
09/11/2011, 06:37 AM
Some will say no... others will say yes...

I cycle mine so that the filters are primed with all the needed bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrites for any fish that are going to have to live there from 4 to however many weeks it takes until I am satisfied they are healthy.

I look at the QT tank as a refuge for the fish to build strength, be observed and reasonably assured the fish is healthy before introducing it and any diseases it may carry to your display tank as well as a time to get him/her used to your presence and a regular feeding schedule.

The fish has been through allot, capture, transport, transport again. Been from tank to tank to tank all most likely over a short time frame. Could be weakened and is most likely stressed out at a minimum. The last thing I want to do to my new pet is dump him into another of the many tanks he will be in, but I need to to protect my other fish in the display, the least I can do is not dump him into a tank that cant remove toxins from the water he has to live in for the next month or two. I'm trying to improve his health, not make it worse by having to deal with toxins on top of what he's already going through.

Thats just my outlook on it.

Nick

That's great and all, but the OP didn't ask if they should have a QT tank or not...

oldsaint
09/11/2011, 07:44 AM
I plan to keep it set up the whole time and will have three waterfall filters and no subtrate and pvc but will clean the tank and do 100% water changes if I get a sick fish

I kept mine running all the time also. Just remember, for the periods you don't have anything in there you will still need to keep the bacteria fed. I usually toss in a couple pellets in every few days.

rovster
09/11/2011, 10:16 AM
This is an interesting question and one I have pondered over myself. I only have a BC14, so I don't have a quarantine, but I was already planning an upgrade to a larger tank, either a 57 or 75 and I was thinking of starting to quarantine, as the livestock that goes into a larger tank is a much higher financial risk with introducing a pest or disease. I have also been curious if these QTs need to be kept running or if you can possibly transfer some filter media and possibly fill it with tank water from a water change (that in itself sounds counter intuitive, I know). Can you counter the lack of an established bacteria population with more frequent small partial water changes, say a gallon every 2 days in a 10? Also, how long would the filter media have to be in your tank to become colonized? I figure you could dump some extra media a week or 2 before your prospective purchase then dump it with some water from the DT into a QT when your livestock arrives. I'm assuming if you are QTing coral on LR then that is not necessary? My issue is that I don't add stuff frequently, so keeping a QT going just for the sake of readiness doesn't make sense to me. Also, where would I put it. My garage reaches very high temps, so that's not an option. And I don't think my wife would understand an ugly, running tank with nothing in it in a random part of the house, LOL! Great thread, looking forward to more responses. Thanks.

clowntriggerfis
09/11/2011, 11:01 AM
thanks for the help and I keep mine in the same room as my DT