PDA

View Full Version : Is this Bryopsis, and should I be worried...

rovster
09/10/2011, 05:12 PM
I bought a rock with a bunch of ricordia mushrooms, and there was some algae growing on it. I've identified the other algaes (bubble, and dycosomething), but this one I'm not sure. Based on descriptions I've read, it appears to be bryopsis. Its very fern like. I plucked it today. It was kind of stiff to pull apart. Otherwise, the tank is doing fantastic. I was having a cyano problem that lasted a month, but for the last week its gone. Sand is VERY white, with no crap, and I'm barely having to clean the glass. Growth of the corals is also very good. Anyway, it seems people freak over bryopsis so I don't want to take this lightly. Here are a couple of pics...

Entire rock with mushrooms, the area in question is on the left of the rock...
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff370/rovster/IMG_7854.jpg

Another image...
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff370/rovster/IMG_7851.jpg

Up close, so you can see the structure of it...
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff370/rovster/IMG_7852.jpg

Comments and feedback aprpeciated. Also, how much do I need to worry and what should I start doing? Thanks!!!:beer:

Psicloner
09/10/2011, 05:14 PM
I'd quarantine that if I were you. I lost a tank to bryopsis a year ago.

sporto0
09/10/2011, 05:18 PM
That is definitely Bryopsis, if it's just the one rock, take it out & scrub it off with a toothbrush, it might not come back & problem solved. Make sure to take it out of the tank first though, do not attempt to pull it off while it's in the tank, it can spread rapidly that way. Good luck!

rovster
09/10/2011, 05:26 PM
I took the rock out of the tank to pluck it, and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, but I was not that carefull with the whole procedure. Its just on that rock. If it comes back, I'll repeat the procedure, but be a bit more thourough about it. Would spot treatment with peroxide be a good idea next time? Thanks again for the responses. I'll watch that area very carefully. Next chapter....:blown:

aleonn
09/10/2011, 06:27 PM
Hopefully it doesn't spread. If it does, you may have to consider raising Mg levels with Kent Tech-M. There's a great thread somewhere that provides for a good reference. But hopefully you won't need it.

rovster
09/10/2011, 06:41 PM
Hopefully it doesn't spread. If it does, you may have to consider raising Mg levels with Kent Tech-M. There's a great thread somewhere that provides for a good reference. But hopefully you won't need it.

When I searched for Bryopsis, a lot of threads on raising mag came up. That's one of the only things I don't test for, but should probably start. I'll look into that for sure, but hopefully it won't come to that. I'll give it a couple of weeks and if it comes back strong, I'll do one more round of manual removal with a more thourough scrubbing. I scrubbed it today before I posted, so it was not thourough, but I did get most of it off. I'm always worried about pulling out rocks with things I want to live on them. The Rics should be fine out of the water for a while right? I'm not worried about the star polyps and feather dusters on that rock at all. Just the rics...Thanks...:inlove:

aleonn
09/11/2011, 11:15 AM
Rics should be fine out of the water, just keep them moist. G/L with the removal!

rovster
09/11/2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone. My tank is looking better than ever. The only problem I have is I need a bigger tank for my fish. However, the last 2 weeks, no more cyano and the corals are really looking dynamite. One of the Rics came off the rock and it was already splitting, so I split it and attached it to another rock. One took, the other I had to reattach. I've never fragged anything, and I guess this is not technically a frag. I'll keep you updated on the Bryopsis. Its only on the Ric rock for now. Thanks again. I'm already talking with the wifey about the next tank. Considering a 40BR, or a 57 or 75 Rimless. I can't decide, LOL.... :-)