(Reference first picture)
1st chamber (left front) will have media basket
2nd (left, back) will have chaeto
3rd (middle) will have live rock and frags
4th (far right) return pump + heater

Look alright?

peppie
09/11/2011, 10:29 AM
I have built 3 AIOs in the past, I have done quite a bit of research on the filter chambers.
I dont understand the chamber that is going to house the LR and frags.
IMO the first chamber is fine for the media basket. Be sure the water flows thur the chamber and not just over the top of the chamber, The water entering the chamber # 2 should enter at the bottom travel up thru the 2nd chamber and enter the #3 chamber at the top, and travel down the chamber and enter the next chamber at the bottom.
You can see the pattern, The water must flow thru the chamber, not just over the top.
The 2nd chamber can hold your macro algae, but it is pretty small. That is not much surface area on the top of the chamber to provide light for the macro. If you can light that chamber from the back or side it would help the macro from not going a-sexual or dieing where it is not getting enough lite from the top.
Chamber #3 Live rock will work but remember you will need to siphon out that chamber. In the past I have put my live rock rubble in a nylon mesh bag so it can be easily removed for maint. IMO if you are not trying to create a place to raise pods there is no need for the LR in the filter area.
Chamber #4 Only needs to be large enough to house your return pump and your hand in there to remove the pump for maint. It is best to build a chamber out of cardboard, Install the pump with plumbing attached and see how much room it will take to get your hand in there to remove and install the pump.
IMO the teeth are only needed in the first inlet of the filter box. All the other teeth in the chambers only the restrict flow.

peppie
09/11/2011, 10:35 AM
I have built 3 AIOs in the past, I have done quite a bit of research on the filter chambers.
I dont understand the chamber that is going to house the LR and frags.
IMO the first chamber is fine for the media basket. Be sure the water flows thur the chamber and not just over the top of the chamber, The water entering the chamber # 2 should enter at the bottom travel up thru the 2nd chamber and enter the #3 chamber at the top, and travel down the chamber and enter the next chamber at the bottom.
You can see the pattern, The water must flow thru the chamber, not just over the top.
The 2nd chamber can hold your macro algae, but it is pretty small. That is not much surface area on the top of the chamber to provide light for the macro. If you can light that chamber from the back or side it would help the macro from not going a-sexual or dieing where it is not getting enough lite from the top.
Chamber #3 Live rock will work but remember you will need to siphon out that chamber. In the past I have put my live rock rubble in a nylon mesh bag so it can be easily removed for maint. IMO if you are not trying to create a place to raise pods there is no need for the LR in the filter area.
Chamber #4 Only needs to be large enough to house your return pump and your hand in there to remove the pump for maint. It is best to build a chamber out of cardboard, Install the pump with plumbing attached and see how much room it will take to get your hand in there to remove and install the pump.
IMO the teeth are only needed in the first inlet of the filter box. All the other teeth in the chambers only the restrict flow.

peppie
09/11/2011, 10:38 AM
OOOppppsss