PDA

View Full Version : 55 long - seeking advice (shrimp, corals, anemones etc)

WetShepherd
09/11/2011, 12:39 AM
First, I appologize for the terrible thread title - I like a plainly stated question, but I have this list of miscellaneous questions piling up so I'm taking a shotgun approach with this thread. They all relate specifically to my tank size (48L x 13W x 21H).

Peppermint Shrimp:
Someone once mentioned to me that adding peppermint shrimp to a 55gal tank that already has two cleaner/skunk shrimp in it could be a bad idea as they could decide there isn't enough room for another one and kill it. Recently I learned they are part of the same family and social so I've begun to wonder if there is any truth to this - anyone have any experience?

Anemones:
I do have a couple of Ocellaris and would predictably like to provide them with an appropriate Anemone - but again, is this an option with this tank size? What would be suitable that wouldn't quickly overtake an entire end of the tank?

Corals:
I understand that some grow and spread like fire and need to placed on an island away from any large formations of rock to keep them in check. I don't think I have space for this. Keeping that in mind and knowing that I have no dead spots, with areas of high and moderate flow, what would you recommend as good starter corals? Alternative potential hosts for the clowns would also be great ;)

Stock List for Ref:
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 Eibl's Dwarf Angel
2 cleaner shrimp
4 Turbo snails
Blue Leg army of hermits

Tank for reference:
http://newpixel.ca/files/55long.jpg

rayn
09/11/2011, 07:58 AM
Not sure on the shrimp so no help there

How old is the tank? A anemone needs a mature tank of minimum 6 months, though the older the better. What types of lighting do you have? T5 four bulb would be minimum in my opinion. That said a bta ia a good starter anemone. It is rock dwelling and can settle in. Chances of it hosting your clowns is 50-50. A second choice would be lta and they are sand dwelling and need a deeper sand bed. They will grow bigger though and could possibly take over the end of a 55. Remember to turn off powerheads for the nem to settle and cover them with pantyhose in case they move and float. There are numerous thread about that.
A good beginner coral is a leather. Moderate flow and lighting. As for hosting clown corals, honestly the clowns choose. I've had a pair go to hammer coral, bubble coral, overflow box, powerhead, and caves. Only once have I had a pair be hosted by a nem.

thebkramer
09/11/2011, 08:48 AM
:bounce3: WELCOME TO RC & THE ADDICTION!!! :bounce3:

+1 on everything rayn said :lol2:

Tank looking really nice!!! really like the rockscape!! keep us updated!! keep asking questions!!! and keep posting pics!! we love pics!!!

WetShepherd
09/11/2011, 11:48 AM
How old is the tank? A anemone needs a mature tank of minimum 6 months, though the older the better.

The tank is 3 months old and the paramaters have been solid since day one (well cycled rock), so I feel comfortable planning now to add corals at 6 months. The plan for the nem was 8 months if things remained as solid as they have been - but I still have a lot of concerns regarding space. I'm hoping to learn an easy lesson from someone who's been there with a similar tank that can say, 'yea np' or 'no way, you will regret it'.

What types of lighting do you have? T5 four bulb would be minimum in my opinion. That said a bta ia a good starter anemone. It is rock dwelling and can settle in. Chances of it hosting your clowns is 50-50. A second choice would be lta and they are sand dwelling and need a deeper sand bed. They will grow bigger though and could possibly take over the end of a 55. Remember to turn off powerheads for the nem to settle and cover them with pantyhose in case they move and float. There are numerous thread about that.

Lighting is a T5 Quad bulb (see sig). I'm not sure how many more bulbs I could get over a tank with these dimensions so that may be a hard limiting factor. Regardless, I've done a bit more reading about your suggestions and I'm ruling them out for now. The tank is just too small and I don't have another one at the moment to allow for re-arranging. Even if one settled in, it could later decide it's unhappy and take a trip down to my vortech and wipe out the whole tank. Or if it were extremely happy it could build a clone army and eventually encroach on any other corals I have. Better to save myself the sleepless nights ;)

A good beginner coral is a leather. Moderate flow and lighting. As for hosting clown corals, honestly the clowns choose. I've had a pair go to hammer coral, bubble coral, overflow box, powerhead, and caves. Only once have I had a pair be hosted by a nem.

Sounds like another good reason to stick to corals for this tank. I'll start with leather ;)

Thanks for the advice!

rayn
09/11/2011, 11:53 AM
Sounds like you have a plan and are researching before you jump in, well done.

I started with a 55 as well and quickly realized it was just to narrow for what I wanted. They can be awesome tanks though with careful placement and planning. The quad light with the right combination of bulbs should be good.

Leathers are fairly easy and will help you watch your water. They all have little polyps and they are almost always out. If they start to not show check your water and lights.

WetShepherd
09/11/2011, 12:08 PM
That reminds me - I had meant to ask, how do you 'check your lights'? My understanding is that these bulbs go 'bad' long before they go out. True?

rayn
09/11/2011, 12:18 PM
Watch the ends. Sometimes they will start to turn black. Also if you see your corals start to wilt or not open as much. Plan to replace them about 8-12 months.

patm09
10/26/2011, 11:56 AM
Your tank looks so pristine! Rockscape is awesome. Thanks for your input on my thread btw.

Mockmo
10/26/2011, 12:58 PM
in regards to the shrimp question i to have a 55 long and i have 3 peppermint, 2 cleaners, and a coral banded. I have had no problem with any of them, theve been in there for over 4 months now and i have never seen them fight they all get along quite well.

WetShepherd
10/26/2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks Mockmo - nothing better than hearing someones experience with the same tank ;)

Your tank looks so pristine! Rockscape is awesome. Thanks for your input on my thread btw.

Thanks - it's changed somewhat since that photo - i keep build / updates in picture format in my blog if you want to see the most recent.