PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

psilentchild
09/11/2011, 03:23 PM
I have a 430 gallon tank .The way my filtration system works is I have two PVC pipes that are connected to my over flow. Those pipe flows into a bucket with filter pads in them. The bucket has a hole in it with a PVC pipe elbow in it. The water flows through the elbow into 150 gallon sump tank that has a pump in it that pumps water back into my tank. The problem is my wife doesn’t like the sound of running water. What I would like to do is take my refugium off my 75 gallon tank and place it with my 150 gallon sump tank. The way it would work is my two pipes would be submerge into one side of the refugium. Place filter pads in the middle and buy another pump connect a long hose to it that would pump water into my 150 gallon sump tank. Since all the water flow would be under water. Would this take care of my noise problem? Would I need to buy a pump rated for 430 gallons or would a smaller pump work?

psilentchild
09/11/2011, 06:59 PM
:wavehand:

psilentchild
09/12/2011, 12:39 PM
Will this work?

dntstlthareefer
09/12/2011, 01:03 PM
If your total water volume does not change, than your current pump is fine. If the fuge that is replacing your bucket is bigger, than it will have to be increased accordingly. You may be able to decrease the noise by increasing your water level in the sump, lengthening and anti-siphoning the bucket to sump plumbing, or adding a filter sock.

psilentchild
09/12/2011, 02:39 PM
I'm keeping the same pump that's on my 430 just adding another one.Instead of gravity I was going to use a pump to pump water out of one sump into another sump.

billdogg
09/12/2011, 02:45 PM
you will be better off with just one pump. Trying to balance the flow between the two is pretty much impossible. Allow gravity to do the balancing for you - it has never failed me yet!!!