PDA

View Full Version : Can't find a proper stand/rack for my 65g tank.

desx2501
09/11/2011, 08:37 PM
I just moved into a new condo and I want to setup a 65g tank I've got. The person who sold me the tank was using a small wood stand. I want to use something else to get my sump underneath. There is an heavy-duty shelving unit (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10336738&hierPath=20483*20744*22160*&whse=BCCA&topnav=&Browse=&lang=en-CA) at Costco.ca that interests me a lot since I would use only the half of the height (it's modulable) and have only 3 tablets, counting the one 2inch from the floor. I would have my 65g tank on top, my 55g sump down, and use the middle shelf for some light weight stuff.

However, it's rated 600lbs (272kgs) per shelf, which is about the weight of my tank once filled with saltwater, so if you add the rocks which are heavier than water and me just leaning on the tank, it would crumble, right?. I don't understand why I can't find a shelving unit that can withstand this, and yet, this frail-looking cheap wood stand was actually holding that same tank for many years.

Any ideas on the subject?

Misled
09/11/2011, 09:15 PM
I wouldn not use that for a stand. For less than 50 bucks you could buy lumber and build it yourself, and have something more suitable.

Toddrtrex
09/11/2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah, wouldn't use those. I have a couple of those in my garage, one of them holds my fish supplies, there is no way in Hades that I would put a 65 gallon tank on it.

desx2501
09/11/2011, 09:30 PM
Oh well, I guess I'll start looking for plans to make one. Let's hope I don't mess things up and end up with a spa where my tank use to be! ;-)

Thanks