PDA

View Full Version : Tanked, another episode

Palting
09/11/2011, 09:39 PM
I know, I know, the last thread was closed, but I liked this latest episode I wanted to hear what other people thought.

Forgetting for a moment all the comments about tap water, too many fish immediately etc, I was impressed with the "boat" tank, and the first actual reef tank. I think the design of the kids boat tank was inspired. I mean, an over the bed tank with a porthole in the bottom? Genius!! And the reef tank. They actually talked about live rock and refugiums. And the size of the sump/refugium! I guess it is appropriate to the size of the tank. Too bad they didn't talk more about the lights and flow, although they alluded to the need for good light and flow for reef. I wish they would talk more about the equipment, rather than some of the other silliness that draws the true TV crowd. I did see a brief shot of a big skimmer.

cody6766
09/12/2011, 12:02 AM
They did talk about more than I expected, but they also tossed a bunch of fish and coral into a tank that didn't appear to be very old. The house was still under construction when they added livestock, assuming I wasn't missing anything. It looked like one super cycle was on they way, aided by the dead fish and livestock. I won't even comment on their fish selection. It was pretty bad.

alexrex20
09/12/2011, 12:08 AM
If they're using seeded filtration, there's no reason they can't drop the fish right in. If these guys were doing something wrong, they wouldn't be so successful, let alone still in business.

It's just like moving an old tank into a bigger new tank. If you're using the same equipment, same live rock, same everything, there's no reason you can't put the fish in right away.

Most of their tanks are FOWLR, so tapwater is not an issue.

Netofficer3710
09/12/2011, 12:34 AM
They dropped like 20 clowns in that tank and a couple nems.
One shot showed 3-4 clowns in what appeared to be a sabae nem at once.

Aren't the clowns going to stress the nem to death and then kill each other?

They also added a ton of firefish together which I thought also liked to fight each other...

And a copper banded butterfly in a reef?

Not to mention the stupid wife holding the purple linckia out of the water to "feel" it

I was far from inpressed.

I held my tongue while passing the reef geek booth at macna seeing the bald guy from tanked there.

cody6766
09/12/2011, 12:57 AM
If all of those fish were in another tank with all of that LR then I could see it working out alright. I highly doubt they were doing that though.

On a positive note, the boat tank was beautiful. I think their stocking there was not w/o its issues, but I see their seeding working out way better in their typical FO tanks than the reef. The reef was also and awesome tank. I dont' think anyone can question the shop's ability to build awesome stuff. I just hope there is more going on behind the scenes that the producers determine to be too boring. I do wish they would pop up a little Man vs Wild type disclaimer if they do actually work in cycling procedures.

Lastly, I did find it WAY better to DVR the show and fastforward through talking and commercials. The few mins of build and completed product footage is worth the 15 mins.

alexrex20
09/12/2011, 01:26 AM
They dropped like 20 clowns in that tank and a couple nems.
One shot showed 3-4 clowns in what appeared to be a sabae nem at once.

Aren't the clowns going to stress the nem to death and then kill each other?

They also added a ton of firefish together which I thought also liked to fight each other...

And a copper banded butterfly in a reef?

Not to mention the stupid wife holding the purple linckia out of the water to "feel" it

I was far from inpressed.

I held my tongue while passing the reef geek booth at macna seeing the bald guy from tanked there.

In large tanks, these "guidelines" don't really apply.

My friend has a group of 8 firefish in his 240gal tank. He also has a school of 47 blue-green chromis. The firefish are doing great, though they seem to have split into two groups on opposite ends of the tank. He has only lost one chromis - yes, we were able to count all 47, but it took twice as many tries!

People add butterflies to reef tanks all the time. Sometimes they nip, sometimes they don't. Again, in big tanks, the nipping is usually not a big deal. Moreover, look at all the big tanks with multiple angels, multiple tangs, triggers with damsels, etc. Those are other "guidelines" that don't really apply to big tanks.

Plus, you gotta understand that people that can afford these tanks, can also afford to hire a service to maintain/restock them.

Starfish live in tidal zones where it's not uncommon for them to be out of water. A few seconds out of water isn't going to hurt a starfish, same as it doesn't hurt a fish.

Nobody forced you to watch this show.

vikubz
09/12/2011, 05:29 AM
If they're using seeded filtration, there's no reason they can't drop the fish right in. If these guys were doing something wrong, they wouldn't be so successful, let alone still in business.

People who can afford to have these large custom tanks installed don't care about money and won't even notice when they're billed for replacement fish along with their weekly maintenance.

alton
09/12/2011, 05:56 AM
We keep losing the fact that it is a reality show? Yes I do not agree with some stuff but it happens every day in our hobby, ask your self why clown triggers and angels are so expensive lately and you can see from the show that the rich love these type of fish in ther artificial reefs. And remember what doesn't come to America for aquariums goes to Asia to be eaten.

Mr.Tan
09/12/2011, 08:13 AM
im irritated i missed this episode, its one i wanted to actually watch! stupid flood ruined my room and I had to move my tv upstairs to bedroom where I dont have cable hookup

Palting
09/12/2011, 09:34 AM
They usually replay the episodes during the week, time depending on your cable provider. Or, wait a couple of days and check their website for the video. Yeah, you don't want to miss that kid's "boat" tank. The concept and execution was pure genius.

I agree with taping or recording on the DVR. The show works better for us reefers when we can skip though the silly trumped up drama and antics and just enjoy the tanks and livestock. Did you guys see that giant reef tank in this last episode? Looked like they had all the plumbing on one end rather than the back. Didn't see too many powerheads, so they must have had a closed loop system to generate the flow needed. They had all that overhead space dedicated for the lights hidden behind louvered doors, and I wish they had talked a little more about those lights.

What I would really like to see is a "Behind the Scenes" episode, where they go into the equipment they istall.

Amoore311
09/12/2011, 10:50 AM
People who can afford to have these large custom tanks installed don't care about money and won't even notice when they're billed for replacement fish along with their weekly maintenance.

Common misconception on how the lower/middle class view those with more money. 95% of the time is just not true. Just because I may have more money then you, or vice versa.... means absolutely nothing in regards to how we spend it or watch over it. Most of the people I know with the higher end incomes are more anal about money then most everyone.

This show makes no mention to how the aquarium is set up, or if the filtration is seeded or not. Assuming they are just tossing livestock into a newly uncycled tank is just that.... ***-U-MING.

I highly doubt they want a client (who just dropped 10's of 1000's on a custom tank set up) calling them frantically because all of their fish died out of no where. It's not good business sense when you're dealing with high end customers.

Squidward5
09/12/2011, 11:14 AM
:headwallblue:

Palting
09/12/2011, 11:23 AM
This show is for entertaimnet only.

That was really my point in starting this thread. The show is for entertainment only, and it is quite entertaining! Particularly the last episode. Man, I love those tanks!

Ooops. Sorry, Squid, I quoted you before you edited.

Squidward5
09/12/2011, 11:32 AM
That was really my point in starting this thread. The show is for entertainment only, and it is quite entertaining! Particularly the last episode. Man, I love those tanks!

Ooops. Sorry, Squid, I quoted you before you edited.

Its cool man,, I just get tired of people complaining about it,,If they dont like the show don't watch it. pretty simple

Bunnylicked
09/12/2011, 11:43 AM
I was very impressed with the reef tank until they showed about 20-30 clownfish in maybe 3-4 anemones. I've never owned a clownfish, but it doesn't quite seem right to me to have that many in one tank. It was a big tank. though, so I suppose it could work out.

I was very impressed with the boat tank. Its design was fantastic, and I love the idea of seeing a reef from below.

ludiNano
09/12/2011, 11:50 AM
What is this tanked???

Ive never heard of it, tell me more about it?

Amoore311
09/12/2011, 11:55 AM
. I've never owned a clownfish, but it doesn't quite seem right to me to have that many in one tank.

Here's a picture from a tank in a public aquarium. Clown fish do just fine in large groups if the tank is big enough.

(Hard to see them all in this photo, but there is easily 50-75 clowns in this tank)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/amoore2326/HVRK%20AMW%20Trip/002-6.jpg

schristi69
09/12/2011, 12:07 PM
All of that water and rock over the kids bed? As we all know....[profanity] happens and tanks fail. But people will do what they want.

snorvich
09/12/2011, 12:47 PM
:headwally::blown:

marrstarr
09/12/2011, 01:32 PM
As far as all the clown fish in that tank goes, the Waikiki Aquarium has a clown fish tank with at least as many if not more clown fish in it so I dont see the big deal. That tank was huge anyway. I think they said it was in the 400 gallon range.

pbnj
09/12/2011, 01:58 PM
PEOPLE BELIEVE WHAT THEY SEE ON TV!!!

I disagree wholeheartedly with those describing this show as "just entertainment". All it would take is one overzealous, upset lawmaker who understands even the basics of marine biology to shutdown this hobby and impact all of us.

As for the LFS owners/employees Brett claims to be helping, I’m sure the word “Tanked” will become even more dreaded by them than the word “Nemo”.

Palting
09/12/2011, 02:09 PM
All of that water and rock over the kids bed? As we all know....s&*t happens and tanks fail. But people will do what they want.

LOL! You should see the show. They piled almost 3 thousand pounds of wood on top of the stand to make sure it could support the tank, though the tank weighed about a third of that full. Then they had to do this hilarious contortion routine while carrying the tank up a tight staircase in the small apartments typical of Manhattan living. We all have some stories to tell about getting our equipments into place, and this just got TV-fied! LOL!!

Anemone
09/12/2011, 02:10 PM
I know, I know, the last thread was closed,

And so is this one.

Kevin