PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an ID on this Occellate Octopus

liquidguru
09/12/2011, 06:19 AM
Hi,

I filmed this week an octopus i had never seen before. I'm the dive manager at a resort in Lembeh, and this was the first time in over 500 dives here that i've seen this one.

Link to Video (http://www.liquidguru.com/?p=477)

Any help would be appreciated.

Kaj

Thales
09/17/2011, 06:27 PM
I would say Amphioctopus Rex. I'll try to find my photos of this species when I get to work tomorrow.

Did you film it during the day and how deep were you?

twiggyb
09/17/2011, 10:14 PM
That's an awesome video. Just wanted to say that. I don't know my cephs as well as I'd like.

liquidguru
09/18/2011, 12:50 AM
I would say Amphioctopus Rex. I'll try to find my photos of this species when I get to work tomorrow.

Did you film it during the day and how deep were you?

Yes, it was filmed during the day, at about 24m. The site was a sand site, and the octopus was half buried. When he originally jetted off, he would then half bury himself again.

liquidguru
09/18/2011, 08:59 AM
That's an awesome video. Just wanted to say that. I don't know my cephs as well as I'd like.

Thanks Daniel.

I've got Blue Rings, Mototi, Coconut and Wonderpus Octopus, a Flamboyant Cuttlefish hatching and many more weird things on my website liquidguru.com (http://www.liquidguru.com), all filmed in the 'wild' :) Have fun..

twiggyb
09/18/2011, 10:43 PM
That transparent eel is crazy!! I'd love to have one of those!

liquidguru
09/18/2011, 11:45 PM
That transparent eel is crazy!! I'd love to have one of those!

It is really amazing..I found out a little more about it. It is the larval stage of a moray. They spend most of their larval stage in the middle of the ocean, then come into reefs and hide, spending about 2 more days like this, then they change into non-transparent morays :crazy1:

mcginnisandrew
09/22/2011, 10:21 PM
wowwww the color changes right around 1:00 in the video are AMAZING. i need to pay more attention to cephalopods haha