PDA

View Full Version : I need a solution

Kingsean74
09/12/2011, 09:34 AM
I posted a video and some picks about my tank growing this brown algae and I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and trust me I've been taking heed to it but since my last post I have seen this algae grow. I was told that it was a phosphate issue and that getting a PhosBan Reactor and running media would help with the problem. I was also told to not run lights for a few days. I have did both and it only looks like the algae has grown more. I will have the video link down below. I was thinking about taking all of the rock out and pressure washing it and trying to kill the algae that is growing on it but didn't want to but I don't see another choice. Any help and all help and advice is welcomed...

http://www.youtube.com/user/kingsean74#p/a/u/0/I5i98zRQXw0

maybe i need a new hobby...

disc1
09/12/2011, 09:41 AM
Once you have algae, getting rid of it is not going to be quick. Keep the nutrients down. Manually remove as much as you can. Keep up on your water changes and keep your feeding minimal.

It's going to take weeks if not months sometimes to get it all. You have created this wonderful environment for it to thrive in, it's not gonig to disappear overnight.

The phosban and other PO4 removal systems can only work well if the algae isn't stripping the water of PO4. If the algae is eating it all up, then the phosban can't do much. So manual removal, while a lot of yucky work, is something you are going to have to do.

Kingsean74
09/12/2011, 09:46 AM
Once you have algae, getting rid of it is not going to be quick. Keep the nutrients down. Manually remove as much as you can. Keep up on your water changes and keep your feeding minimal.

It's going to take weeks if not months sometimes to get it all. You have created this wonderful environment for it to thrive in, it's not gonig to disappear overnight.

The phosban and other PO4 removal systems can only work well if the algae isn't stripping the water of PO4. If the algae is eating it all up, then the phosban can't do much. So manual removal, while a lot of yucky work, is something you are going to have to do.

Thanks for the advice...I plan on taking it all out and removing it by hand and then taking it outside to pressure wash it and then put it back in the tank tomorrow, do you think that is over kill and if it comes back does that mean I have to replace all of my rock?

ReeferBill
09/12/2011, 09:49 AM
Dear Kingsean ; Do not take rock out and power wash because you will kill all the good bacteria you have grown since you started the tank. I would get a cleanig crew package from Reefcleaners.org , this is just part of the nomal clcling process and will go away. i would also start dosing a Two Part Calcium / Buffer as soon as possible. This wil encourage the coralline algea to grow instead of the nuisance types of algea....Ro e wsn't built in a day have patients an hang in there. You will overcome and nice set-up and aquascaping... :reading:

Palting
09/12/2011, 09:50 AM
I just watched your video. Maybe I'm missing it, but your algae doesn't look bad at all! Sure, there is some in there, but that doesn't seem to be excessive nor a problem. Makes it more "natural" to me. Or maybe I just don't see it since my monitor at work is so crappy?

How old is the tank? My tank looked crappy with all kinds of algae blooms until about the 4th month. Got mostly coraline now and a smattering of turf algae, but the tank is now over a year old.

Kingsean74
09/12/2011, 09:54 AM
Dear Kingsean ; Do not take rock out and power wash because you will kill all the good bacteria you have grown since you started the tank. I would get a cleanig crew package from Reefcleaners.org , this is just part of the nomal clcling process and will go away. i would also start dosing a Two Part Calcium / Buffer as soon as possible. This wil encourage the coralline algea to grow instead of the nuisance types of algea....Ro e wsn't built in a day have patients an hang in there. You will overcome and nice set-up and aquascaping... :reading:

Ok thanks I will just try to manual pull it off. I don't want to take it out because i like the way I have it set up but the algae just seem to keep growing. I do have a clean up crew but they don't seem to be doing too much to it plus I have noticed some of them have died.. but for the type of algae i have what would be an ideal cuc to get?

Kingsean74
09/12/2011, 09:57 AM
I just watched your video. Maybe I'm missing it, but your algae doesn't look bad at all! Sure, there is some in there, but that doesn't seem to be excessive nor a problem. Makes it more "natural" to me. Or maybe I just don't see it since my monitor at work is so crappy?

How old is the tank? My tank looked crappy with all kinds of algae blooms until about the 4th month. Got mostly coraline now and a smattering of turf algae, but the tank is now over a year old.

The tank is over 2 months old now but that algae is really scaring me because I have had a issue with algae before and it got out of control. what did you do to get rid of your algae blooms?

Palting
09/12/2011, 10:12 AM
The tank is over 2 months old now but that algae is really scaring me because I have had a issue with algae before and it got out of control. what did you do to get rid of your algae blooms?

I added a refugium early on, otherwise just did regular maintenance. Stirred and/or vacuumed the surface of the sand bed, turkey basted anything that could easily be turkey basted off, then did and still do 10% water changes weekly. Basic stuff, too, like I feed sparingly only once a day, MH lights on for 8 hours, RODI with 0 TDS. I also stock heavy with herbivores. I have 4 tangs, a coral beauty, several Margarita snails, and I had one big ugly giant abalone. The abalone was so ugly, it was cute! :) Had to give the abalone away eventually, 'cuz he started to starve when the algae blooms got done.

jx4hansen
09/13/2011, 01:49 PM
I had a similar problem and took several weeks to get a hold of it.

I think the best thing that helped me was reducing the amount I was feeding my fish. It doesn't matter if you are putting in more nutrients then you are taking out.

Bowels
09/13/2011, 05:56 PM
Ive heard sea rabbits can do the trick.. but they will starve once the algea is gone...