PDA

View Full Version : salt storage

slant77
09/12/2011, 05:07 PM
Does it hurt to keep your salt stored in a hot garage or for that matter any of the other things we might add to the tank?

Agu
09/12/2011, 05:51 PM
I keep mine in the house to reduce any potential exposure to my hot Fl garage. Lost half a bucket due to humidity in the garage a few years ago.

schristi69
09/12/2011, 05:54 PM
I keep mine in my garage in AZ. Have seen no ill effects as long as the lid is on tight

MagicReefer
09/12/2011, 06:00 PM
Key here is Humidity. If its low enough there shouldnt be a problem.

tomaquar
09/12/2011, 07:20 PM
How much salt do you have? I live in atlanta and if I leave large quantities of salt unattended it turns into a brick which does not dissolve well. (some kind of white precipitate that does not dissolve well forms)

If its not too labor intensive, I put my salt in individual zip locks and it tends to do well.

schristi69
09/12/2011, 08:32 PM
I think I still have 2 buckets out there. Have been stored for over a year. Our humiditiy is low here so not a big issue

slant77
09/12/2011, 08:33 PM
Not a lot 1/3 of an open bag I do think I will start to bring it in the house tho.

MagicReefer
09/12/2011, 08:37 PM
Yah if I do not store mine in an airtight container, I also get the brick action going. I use this salt for making food hatcheries and such and buy new for my tank. I dont like the snow that forms either.

I always thought things looked a little less happy when I used the brick salt for a couple weeks in a row. So I dont even chance it.

A good decasent (chemical that sucks up all moisture in the surrounding area.)that is applied CORRECTLY ( which means dont let it contact the salt) can help control moisture if you live in a high humidity area.

Agu
09/12/2011, 09:34 PM
It's not the heat, it's the humidity. (To use an old cliche.)

As the weather is now you could probably leave a bucket of salt unsealed in Arizona or Texas and it wouldn't harden into a brick. In humid areas even a sealed container in a high humidity environment can degrade your salt. You're sealing the humidity in the bucket.