PDA

View Full Version : best way to detach a clam

hebygb
09/13/2011, 08:05 AM
Well I have removed all of my pond foam/egg crate from one of my tanks... well almost all. It would appear that my clam attached itself to a foamed portion of egg crate. I have trimmed away all leaving about an inch around the clam... removed as much foam as possible, but still... if I do not anchor an edge of the egg crate under a rock... my clam ends up hovering upside down.

Now I can leave it "tucked under a rock, however we all know that something is going to do something that will cause the rock to lose its hold and I will come home from work with an inverted invert.

How can I get this guy to let go? I don't want to twist and pull and harm/kill the clam, but I also don't want to cross my fingers that he will stay upright and happy.

hebygb
09/13/2011, 12:23 PM
OK... 29 views and nobody wants to venture a solution. I guess it is either the cross fingers method or plan on getting a new clam (or two).

albano
09/13/2011, 12:26 PM
there is no way to remove more foam, so that it won't float?

ReeferBill
09/13/2011, 12:28 PM
Can you use a credit card to loosen the edge and slowly gethim off the foam or maybe you can cut the foam away a little at a time to release his hold....:crazy1:

CarlitosReef
09/13/2011, 12:30 PM
just put a power head shooting at him it will eventually force him to detach himself

hebygb
09/13/2011, 12:33 PM
I will try ... the hard part is keeping him under water while doing all of this... I cant even see the foot yet. I will try the credit card method... take a lil foam away with tweezers.

Thanks for the replies!!!

albano
09/13/2011, 12:45 PM
I will try ... the hard part is keeping him under water while doing all of this...
WHY? the clam should close up while out of water, and be fine! MORE than enough time to 'work' on it!

hebygb
09/13/2011, 01:37 PM
It was my understanding that a clam should not be removed from water (unless of course you are going to eat it)

albano
09/13/2011, 03:16 PM
It was my understanding that a clam should not be removed from water (unless of course you are going to eat it)
never heard that, and I've had various clams, out of water, for more than a few minutes, many times.

billrob71
09/13/2011, 09:48 PM
if you can tilt the clam and get under neath you can cut the biscuss threads and it will not hurt the clam, just make sure to cut as close the foam and away from the biscuss gland. The threads are just like the hair on your head.

Theres no problem either taking the clam out of water but if it is a larger clam you will need to burp the air out of it since they don't move much the little clams bounce around like jumping beans so there usually not a problem.

moliken
09/14/2011, 08:09 AM
listen to bill. one more thing, though, if you take clams outta water, burp means to rotate them in all directions to dislodge any trapped air when they go back into the dt. another way to dislodge is freeze some small baggies and place them on the clam foot.

hebygb
09/15/2011, 11:49 AM
Thank you all, The clam is now free from its pond foam surfboard and is happily basking under a 250 MH (in 12 inches of water) on a new rock that he will hopefully make his new sundeck. Soon to be joined by some new friends.

albano
09/15/2011, 08:26 PM
Thank you all, The clam is now free from its pond foam surfboard .
Soon to be joined by some new friends.
Unless you wish to be joined by some new 'friends'...you better tell us, what you did to remove it! :rolleye1: