PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp with "foot stuck" in piece of crushed coral

Quartapound
09/13/2011, 09:59 AM
Hey guys, I woke up this morning and checked my tank before going to work, it was lights out so it was hard to see. i noticed something white hanging off one of my cleaner shrimps legs.

He recently molted (yesterday)

now with the light I can see it's a small piece of crushed coral, (shaped like a tube) that he was unfortunate enough to put his leg through.

He's been trying pretty much constantly to remove it and has been unsuccessful so far....

it doesnt seem to slow him down any.

should I wait and see what happens, try to remove eventually, or immediately?

any suggestions?

Thanks guys

http://i.imgur.com/W16fZ.jpg

DustinB
09/13/2011, 10:02 AM
I would just leave it be...

ryeguyy84
09/13/2011, 10:51 AM
agreed, I don't think he will grow a new leg if you accidentally rip one off

wbdevers
09/13/2011, 11:05 AM
Yes it will re-grow the leg. All crustacean's have regenerative capability. It would be none the worse for wear--regardless what anyone else would say.

Unless it's preventing the shrimp from moving/eating etc. I really wouldn't worry about it however.

ReeferBill
09/13/2011, 11:09 AM
I would just leave it and it may come off with its next molt....:hmm5:

sporto0
09/13/2011, 02:07 PM
The shrimp is fine, I would consider getting rid of the crushed coral as a substrate though. How old is the tank & is it a reef or fish only tank?

Quartapound
09/25/2011, 06:10 PM
I have caribsea special grade reef sand in the 35 gallon. the crushed coral came in the 10 gallon that was given to me, once the 35 is ready the 10 will be taken down (along with the crushed coral).