PDA

View Full Version : ID Please

Viking Dr
09/13/2011, 04:33 PM
OK...I'm sitting here looking at my tank wondering what I am going to put in it next after my clowns are out of QT and Out of this little hole in my live rock comes a cloud of....err...ahhh..Stuff. Not sure if it was sediment or rock or spores or what....I can't see any creature, but I have a picture of the hole it came out of and now there is this STUFF floating around in my tank...It is the hole in the center of the picture and is about 1/8" in Diameter....what the freak was that!

ReeferBill
09/13/2011, 04:37 PM
Could be a flatworm spawning.They spray out a smokey cloud like buffer when you first add it.:mixed:

Viking Dr
09/13/2011, 04:40 PM
UH oh..should I go after it...and try to nuke it?

Viking Dr
09/13/2011, 05:04 PM
Ahhhh not sure about that now.. now that I am looking at it for a while, what ever it is it is burrowing in the rock and expelling the silt out the hole. It is the same color as the rock> It is not white but brown like the rock. As well, I was watching and then out came a molt of something...I got another picture of it and it looked black...HELP!

thebkramer
09/13/2011, 05:07 PM
:bounce3: WELCOME TO RC & THE ADDICTION!!! :bounce3:

your description makes me think a peanut worm...??
here are some great links to help with your ID ;)

Xtal World (http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm)
Chucks Addition (http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html)
Melevs Reef (http://www.melevsreef.com/id/)
TBSW (http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html)

thebkramer
09/13/2011, 05:09 PM
btw... when the lights go out you will start seeing ALOT more if you haven't seen already lol
if you can.. get a flashlight with a red bulb and look through the tank... craziness I tell ya.. craziness!!! :lol2:
if no red bulb.. you can still use a flashlight.. but things will scurry away from the light more than likely!!!

HAPPY REEFING !!! :bounce3:

Viking Dr
09/13/2011, 05:19 PM
I have a red stage light I can light the whole tank up with..Maybe next Saturday night.

So peanut worms borrow in the rock and throw it out the hole like a gopher would?

thebkramer
09/13/2011, 05:31 PM
it was the color you described and then it coming out of a "molt"
don't know for sure without a pic.. there are soooooooo many species of worms in SW and you will see LOTS!! lol take a look at the links.. I'm sure you'll find w.e. it is that you have ;)

its probably not a "bad guy"... hopefully ;)

most "bad" worms have tentacles on their head.. and big fangs lol (j/k)

Viking Dr
09/13/2011, 05:35 PM
The second pic i took, you can kind of see it in the hole...I didn't see it come out of a molt...I saw just the molt coming out the hole..like it was house cleaning and threw it out the front door..LOL

SushiGirl
09/13/2011, 05:47 PM
My guess would be peanut worm too. That's some nice-looking rock, BTW.

Viking Dr
09/13/2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks, I like this forum....I hope this saltwater hobby doesn't stress me out to much. I tend to be a perfectionist and tend not leave well enough alone.

It's the Engineer in me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

velfamily
09/14/2011, 09:51 AM
+1 watch for tentacles/feelers on head.

if it's lightning fast when it moves, research eunicid worm. if this is what it is, you'll want to get him out. figuring out what it is before livestock goes in is, of course, ideal and will allow for easier removal if necessary.

good luck

sponger0
09/15/2011, 09:09 AM
Oh boy lol. I myself am a little particular....like put things back and this has to be done this way and so on and so on....so damned if my tank wasnt going to be any different lol. So I tend to be a perfectionist also and I think my tank benefits from it...or lets just say it does lol.

And is it me or are there alot of engineers in this hobby?

Thanks, I like this forum....I hope this saltwater hobby doesn't stress me out to much. I tend to be a perfectionist and tend not leave well enough alone.

It's the Engineer in me!!!!!!!!!!!!!