PDA

View Full Version : missing 2 firefish gobys

reefstar12345
09/13/2011, 08:35 PM
ok so i bought 2 firefish gobys and the first day the were out and swimming and then the second day 1 went missing and the the next day the last one went missing,, what could of happened ,, the didnt jumps couse i dont see them laying around,,, now its been 2 days since they were out im afraid they are not feeding and will starve,, maby they are hiding,,.

thegrun
09/13/2011, 08:40 PM
They are typically very shy fish and may only come out at feeding time for the first few weeks. They are also notorious jumpers and can flop a long distance across the floor if they go carpet surfing.

dzfish17
09/13/2011, 09:41 PM
ok so i bought 2 firefish gobys and the first day the were out and swimming and then the second day 1 went missing and the the next day the last one went missing,, what could of happened ,, the didnt jumps couse i dont see them laying around,,, now its been 2 days since they were out im afraid they are not feeding and will starve,, maby they are hiding,,.

What else is in the tank? Was it a pair? The reason I ask is because I bought a couple of zebra dartfish and after being out a few days they started disappearing for a couple of hours at a time and then they both vanished. After two weeks one of them came out and ate and then has been gone for a few days now. Im thinking maybe they are spawning somewhere in the rockwork. Im not really sure because I dont know anything about their spawning behaviour. Just a thought.

reefstar12345
09/13/2011, 09:42 PM
yea i know i searched everyware in the back of the tank just everyware,, and i dont see them feeding. maby they will come out in a few days,,

reefstar12345
09/13/2011, 09:44 PM
a clown, mandarian goby baby blue tang , 3 small chromis ,, no i dont think they are a par,,

dublo8
09/13/2011, 09:47 PM
What other inhabitants do you have in your tank? Do you have a crab of some type that might prey on them? you check your overflow? behind your tank? They are serious jumpers for sure. I had one jump, then it ended up in the overflow and sucked into the protein skimmer and another one ended up in a powerhead. Not the brightest fish in the ocean, that's for sure.

reefstar12345
09/13/2011, 09:49 PM
just nassarius snails,, and 10 little hermit crabs,,

reefstar12345
09/13/2011, 09:51 PM
yes i checked everyware,, i sure they didnt jump out,,maby they need a few more days its just been 3 days,,

mess7777
09/14/2011, 12:06 PM
I just picked up a firefish 2 weeks ago. It went missing for 3 days, I thought it was a goner. Then it started showing up at feeding time and rushing back to hiding. Now it's out all the time. You should be fine, they seem to be shy and take a while to get used to their new friends.

reefstar12345
09/14/2011, 02:32 PM
well 1 wos out for like 10 seconds and went back hiding,,

thegrun
09/14/2011, 03:35 PM
On a side note, the fire fish are likely to fight each other. The Mandarin is going to have a difficult time competing with the 6 line wrasse for food and will likely starve over time.

snorvich
09/14/2011, 04:33 PM
a clown, mandarian goby baby blue tang , 3 small chromis ,, no i dont think they are a par,,

Well, there are 4 candidates for harassment. Plus a fish that is inappropriate to your tank.

snorvich
09/14/2011, 04:34 PM
On a side note, the fire fish are likely to fight each other. The Mandarin is going to have a difficult time competing with the 6 line wrasse for food and will likely starve over time.

True. Actually the sixline is likely to kill the mandarin in the long run.

doctorgori
09/15/2011, 12:21 AM
I've had several firefish, this last time; a bonded pair....
+1 to all the above....also
...check your sump, sock, overflow....I've found mine in all; several times
...hope you didn't recently re-arrange your rock...I'm pretty certain the last time I lost mine I ended up trapping them somehow; like noted above, they really love to hide in the rocks

...the also will jump...
good luck....oh BTW; feeding your fish at the exact time everyday has advantages, firefish seem to really pick up on that

reefstar12345
09/15/2011, 05:02 PM
what fish innaproperiate?? and i dont have a sixline wrasse,, my aquarium is 100 gallons,,. the mandarian is fine he is not agressive at all ,,the 3 small chromises are not aggresive at all they are all kids,, but anyway they are out and swimming with their new friends.