PDA

View Full Version : New Biocube 29 Hobbiest

skindeepdc
09/13/2011, 11:10 PM
I'm less than a year into the hobby...older brother and friend and I all got very different tanks around the same time. We have a friend who's an experienced mentor, who owns a coral company on the side. But I'm still learning on my own!
I went with a biocube 29 and it's the perfect size for my townhouse right now. I'm sure i will be upgrading in the future. My brother was basically handed a new 150 gal Oceanic system....damn!

Anyways, I'm on my second, and so far successful, attempt of establishing a healthy aquarium. My LFS sold me sick fish the first time around and I think I contaminated my tank with a touch of their tank water, causing all other added fish to die of ich. So I emptied and cleaned it and started with new sand and rock, basically I started over completely. It was def frustrating, but I am ready for more, as I love the hobby so far!!!

My tank is intended as a reef Saltwater Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon tank.
I use RO/DI water from a nice system shared by myself, brother and friend.
15 pounds of fine, white Carib Live Sand
20-30 pounds of Live and Dead Rock
Upgraded lighting fan system (today)
2 Koralia 240 gph power heads on alternating cycles through
JBJ Ocean Pulse Duo Wavemaker (today)
CPR Aquatics SR3 Skimmer, been breaking in for 4 weeks and pulling green.

I have a pair of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish. One of which were hospitalized and rescued from previous tank disaster, it's mate died.
One Six Line Wrasse
One Large Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab
A Handful of Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
One Large Turbo Snail
One Large Astraea Snail

I recently added my first cluster of Zooanthids.

Anyone with experience in nano and biocube tanks, plus everything bigger with advice to offer, please throw it all at me!!! I'm just taking it slow and learning as I go. Thanks, Danny

WetShepherd
09/14/2011, 12:23 AM
Welcome to RC ;) How long has your tank been up this round?

Advice? Keep us posted and don't forget pics ;)

neoalchemist74
09/14/2011, 06:40 AM
Keep your fish count low and your water changes up and your golden!

Tradewinds
09/14/2011, 09:06 AM
Great avatar.

PurpleMonkey
09/14/2011, 12:58 PM
Have you modded your cube yet? Take out the bioballs? Cut the tab between chambers 1 + 2? Upgrade the return pump?

skindeepdc
09/17/2011, 11:54 PM
Have you modded your cube yet? Take out the bioballs? Cut the tab between chambers 1 + 2? Upgrade the return pump?

hey there- I have changed a few things so far. I did remove bioballs in order to add a CPR SR3 protein skimmer and it's been in my second chamber for prob 5-6 weeks. I just replaced the stock oceanic powerhead with 2 Hydor Korlia Evolution Nano 240 gph running at 75 second intervals on a JBJ Ocean Pulse wavemaker. I'm dealing with phosphate issues the last week or so and have experienced pretty significant red slime on my sand bed. Water change in the morning then adding a Phosban 150 with extra PhosGuard and some extra carbon.

I bought some loc line materials also to split my return and planned on replacing my return pump at that point, but I think I may keep my return flow as is for now until i tackle the red slime issue.

I'm looking forward to introducing some soft corals and keeping the fish I have happy for now. My first time around was so frustrating and time and money consuming that I'm just wishing for the best since I'm already in love with the "hobby" and already in so deep! :beer: Slainte` Danny

skindeepdc
09/18/2011, 12:16 AM
Welcome to RC ;) How long has your tank been up this round?

Advice? Keep us posted and don't forget pics ;)

Hey my new set up has been up about 10 weeks. I need to get some pics on here. thanks for the kind words. Slainte` Danny