PDA

View Full Version : Testing Your Live Rick??

krzyphsygy
09/14/2011, 12:24 PM
Alright, so I know there is a way to test your rock to see if it is safe for your aquarium or not. I have heard pour a type of acid on it or something, I am not sure. But I would like to test a few rocks I have to see if it is ok to be in my aquarium.
I have heard that "non reef rock" can have all types of deposits and minerals in it that make it leech chemicals into the tank that will cause problems for you pets.

So does anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help provided!

jon99
09/14/2011, 01:10 PM
I think what you're referring to is testing to see if the rock is calcium carbonate based or not. I've used this test when buying sand before, but never with live rock. Basically you pour a weak acid, like vinegar, into a test vial and sprinkle some of the sand into it. Observe the sand. If it fizzes and bubbles (and should eventaully dissolve) it's calcium carbonat based. If it's silica based sand, it won't bubble and won't dissolve. Some people claim silica based sand can leach silica into your tank water and cause algae problems, others say it's harmless. Most would agree though that silica sand is sharper and rougher than aragonite and may not be appreciated as much by the tank's inhabitants.

krzyphsygy
09/14/2011, 04:06 PM
Ok, I think i will try that. Is that the only way of you know to do it?? Thanks

jon99
09/14/2011, 04:22 PM
You can try other acids, but considering that vinegar is readily available it's probably the easiest way to do it.

But what exactly are you trying to test and what are you testing for?

hollister
09/14/2011, 04:35 PM
The smell test. If it smells like the ocean your good if it smell like rotten eggs you have lots of die off. Whene in dought make it base rock.

krzyphsygy
09/14/2011, 11:06 PM
You can try other acids, but considering that vinegar is readily available it's probably the easiest way to do it.

But what exactly are you trying to test and what are you testing for?

I a tryin to test the rock to see if it is calcium carbinate rock, another words fully reef safe. I think it might not be based on how it looks. I only have a few pcs and just wanted to be sure. It could have minerals and deposits and stuff in it that might leech into the aquarium and hurt the fish ect.

krzyphsygy
09/14/2011, 11:09 PM
The smell test. If it smells like the ocean your good if it smell like rotten eggs you have lots of die off. Whene in dought make it base rock.

Thanks, but that is not my question. You can cure just about anything for the aquarium and generate bacteria.

My question was the rock itself, not the colonization of bacteria on the rock.

jon99
09/15/2011, 02:11 PM
I a tryin to test the rock to see if it is calcium carbinate rock, another words fully reef safe. I think it might not be based on how it looks. I only have a few pcs and just wanted to be sure. It could have minerals and deposits and stuff in it that might leech into the aquarium and hurt the fish ect.

Think you could post a pic on here, someone may be able to tell that way. Otherwise break off a few small pieces and drop them in the vinegar. Where did the rock come from?

krzyphsygy
09/15/2011, 08:11 PM
Think you could post a pic on here, someone may be able to tell that way. Otherwise break off a few small pieces and drop them in the vinegar. Where did the rock come from?

I found a secluded beach in the keys with a ton of really awesome rock n it. Compares to marshall Island rock very well. Just dry. The beach looks like an old dried up reef from many, many, many years ago.

NanoReefWanabe
09/15/2011, 09:12 PM
isnt it against the law to collect rock in florida?

if you found the rock on the beach chances are pretty good it is/ was live rock at some point in the ocean...

but certainly putting it in a vinegar bath will tell you if it is CaCO3 or not...however just because it is CaCO3, doesnt necessarily mean it is free of contaminants...how long has it been sitting on the beach...

the beach is likely one of the worst places to collect rock from, being that all the surface scum etc from the ocean including oil and gas are going to be the first things washed ashore and deposited in the rock...

krzyphsygy
09/15/2011, 09:59 PM

From what I undertsand, it is illeagal to collect rock from the ocean in Florida, not rocks from the shores, especially where I collected it, plus I did ask for permission from the resort. So no problems there. They have owned those beaches for many years. They own several beaches and alot them are 100s of feet from the water. This was far from a scummy beach, plus this was way before the oil spills on the west coast.

OregonReefer
09/15/2011, 11:16 PM
One thing you'll want to do for sure is test it for PO4 leaching

NanoReefWanabe
09/16/2011, 06:37 PM

From what I undertsand, it is illeagal to collect rock from the ocean in Florida, not rocks from the shores, especially where I collected it, plus I did ask for permission from the resort. So no problems there. They have owned those beaches for many years. They own several beaches and alot them are 100s of feet from the water. This was far from a scummy beach, plus this was way before the oil spills on the west coast.

there have been many many spills/ leaks, leaky boats etc...rotting plant debris and dying animals on every beach...i highly doubt you could find a beach anywhere that is not effected by contaminants such as oil...i am certain the rock is more then a couple months old and has been sitting there for quite sometime, exposed to god knows what in high tides/ hurricanes and swells etc...

anyway, test to be sure itis CaCO3, after that sit it in a vat of SW, after a week, test the water for anything you have tests for, PO4 would certainly be my first...check the surface of the water for signs of oil/ gas rainbows...