PDA

View Full Version : What's a good carpet nem to start with?

MidMichiganReef
09/14/2011, 08:27 PM
Hello. I have ran tanks for 5 years and have always been very intrigued by carpet anemones. You really don't see a lot of them in Michigan so I don't know many people with first hand experience. I have successfully kept BTA's and LTA's that hosted pairs of clowns and am considering putting a carpet into my next system (well after its established of course, I just like to plan ahead).

What is a good "starter" carpet? I'm not new to caring for advanced fish or corals, just haven't had a haddoni or gig or anything like that before.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but what type of lighting sees the most success? I currently run T5HO, but have considered going with LED (AI SOL). Any info related to that would be appreciated.

Thanks

bradleym
09/14/2011, 11:10 PM
Gigs are notoriously unhealthy after shipping, and require the most care I think. Mertens are hard to find. So if I had to pick, I'd say Haddoni, specifically the green ones. They seem to do well on average and are commonly sold. Either blue or red (I forget which) is more sensitive to the tank's conditions from what I've heard. Plus, both those colors bank at over $200 easy while a green one can go for less than $50 at the right shop. Also the Haddoni species survive in the least amount of light of the three, again, from what I hear. I've only had a green one under MH. :)

LesMartin
09/15/2011, 06:41 AM
As bradleym says, go with a haddoni. You don't want the heartbreak of a gig as your first carpet anemone. As for lighting, I kept my green haddoni under TMC LED tiles for over a year. It was in a 24" deep tank and lost a little colour becoming more of a greeny tan than the solid green it was and now is again, now that I've replaced the tiles with a Powermodule. The AI units appear to be one of the best LED units available and if used in sufficient quantities can be used for SPS, so I have no doubt that a haddoni will be more than happy under one. I'd go so far as to say that the AI unit may be too powerful initially so use the dimming function and adjust slowly.