PDA

View Full Version : rock from hawaii, cooking it?

carolgyrl1
09/14/2011, 09:08 PM
walking the beach on vacation, I found two really small holy pieces of rock that my fish would have fun with, I want to add to my dt tank. Do I " boil" the rock to make sure that it is dead, then add to my tank? I dont want to start a cycle, Im not sure what to expect.

Microcosmos
09/14/2011, 09:16 PM
Boiling the rock is a good idea because it will kill anything harmful on it/in it to the point that it is quite dead (though some coralline might survive). BUT the dead stuff will still be deep in the rock even after some vigorous scrubbing, so you will still have a cycle. Personally I would take the risk and let it cycle in a QT to keep as much living stuff alive as possible, just my 2¢!

Sean Bartel

carolgyrl1
09/15/2011, 10:12 AM
thanks

dakineacct
09/15/2011, 12:35 PM
Dont know if you're superstitious of not, but it is considered bad luck to take rocks from Hawaii. You may have angered the goddess Pele.

You can return them here:

http://www.volcanogallery.com/lavarockstories_New.htm

No need to thank me, consider it a public service.

unfamous
09/15/2011, 01:00 PM
That myth is only for lava rock not corals. Never take lava rock, didn't you ever watch the Brady Bunch?

xCry0x
09/15/2011, 02:03 PM
That myth is only for lava rock not corals. Never take lava rock, didn't you ever watch the Brady Bunch?

The OP did not specify if it was lava rock or coral..