PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Gaming Adaptor

fastrd400
09/15/2011, 10:37 AM
Does anyone else experience their gaming adapter dropping connection with the router? This has been happening for me about every 3 weeks. Normally I would just unplug the adapter, then plug it back in and it would be fine. Now I can not get it to connect to the router at all. Is it a bad adapter?

kenargo
09/15/2011, 10:43 AM
Have you checked signal strength; if there are many walls between the router and GA or there is a lot of electronics near the GA you could be suffering from weak signal. Depending on the unit you can try moving the antenna around or even repositioning the GA (I found higher up often helps).

fastrd400
09/15/2011, 11:12 AM
Have you checked signal strength; if there are many walls between the router and GA or there is a lot of electronics near the GA you could be suffering from weak signal. Depending on the unit you can try moving the antenna around or even repositioning the GA (I found higher up often helps).

Naw, it is a straight line shot of maybe 20 feet. The adapter and router face each other. I just got off the phone with Netgear. They had me pull the adapter, plug it in to my computer and open up a web page. It worked twice, so they are saying the controller may be bad since the adapter is working properly.

fishmonger007
09/15/2011, 11:20 AM
"Working correctly for the time being." I'm more inclined to think it's the adapter or a router issue. RussM can help :)

reef.saltwater
09/15/2011, 11:27 AM
I am in the same boat, I have the same netgear adapter and does the same. if i unplug and plug it back works fine for few hours or may be a day but then again same problem.

fastrd400
09/15/2011, 11:49 AM
"Working correctly for the time being." I'm more inclined to think it's the adapter or a router issue. RussM can help :)

Yeah, I know Russ is the man. He helped me get this set up and port fowrding done.

I thought maybe a router issue as well, but all other wireless devices are working off the router. The adapter when taken off of the Apex, and put in place of the router works my computer system as if nothing changed (I did this 2 different times).

RussM
09/15/2011, 12:06 PM
I've not had any such issues with my 2 WNCE2001 units.

Not sure what to suggest.

One guy I know who had a flaky router connected it to his DC8 and let his AC3 shut it down for 1 minute in the wee hours every morning as an effective workaround. You could do the same if you can't find a better solution.

fastrd400
09/15/2011, 01:01 PM
What do you think Russ? Could it be an issue with the Apex itself?

RussM
09/15/2011, 01:14 PM
When the problem happens, does the Netgear actually show that it no longer has a wireless connection? Or are you saying dropping based on a symptom of loss of connectivity to the Apex?

swearint
09/15/2011, 01:42 PM
Since it is such a short distance, can you temporarily run a hardline to the Apex and remove the GA from the system? See if the problem persists.

Todd

fastrd400
09/15/2011, 01:54 PM
When the problem happens, does the Netgear actually show that it no longer has a wireless connection? Or are you saying dropping based on a symptom of loss of connectivity to the Apex?

I notice the WLAN light not lit up at the time

Since it is such a short distance, can you temporarily run a hardline to the Apex and remove the GA from the system? See if the problem persists.

Todd

I actually thought of this as well. I know I have a long ethernet cable someplace, just need to find it and test it.

reef.saltwater
09/15/2011, 01:58 PM
for me too, it's off or sometimes it shows me Red.

RussM
09/15/2011, 02:28 PM
In that case, I highly doubt that the Apex has anything to do with the issue.

My 2 Netgears stay persistently connected to WiFi even if the Ethernet-connected device (in my case, both are BD players) are powered off.

fastrd400
09/15/2011, 03:46 PM
I just came back home to find the WLAN light no longer on on the adapter. Anymore, I have to assume the wireless part of the adapter is not functioning correctly.

But in the same breath, why would it allow for internet when connected directly to my computer?

fastrd400
09/15/2011, 07:11 PM
After removing the adapter, and running an ethernet cable from the module to the router, I still get nothing

For most home
networks running Windows, simply connect an Ethernet cable between the Apex and your router and power up
the Apex. You should see a yellow blinking light next to the Ethernet port on the base module.

I also am not getting the blinking light, it is a solid amber color light. Is this right? Could the module be bad, or have I missed something?

fishguy597
09/15/2011, 09:20 PM
Is net gear the only wireless available or are there other options

reef.saltwater
09/15/2011, 10:29 PM
Since I don't have that long ethernet wire, I can't test it now. But thinking of doin
G some testing coming weekend.
Here is what am planning to do, directly connect the apex to computer, switch off the wireless in computer. And play with apes at least hour or so. I know when I create profiles and apex is connected thru wireless, apex hand or wireless doesn't work. If am successfully able to create profiles thru direct connect then I can be sure that netgear is not working otherwise I,ll contact Neptune.
Will let you know the results by tomorrow EOD.

Any thoughts, what more I can test ?

RokleM
09/16/2011, 11:43 AM
After removing the adapter, and running an ethernet cable from the module to the router, I still get nothing

For most home
networks running Windows, simply connect an Ethernet cable between the Apex and your router and power up
the Apex. You should see a yellow blinking light next to the Ethernet port on the base module.

I also am not getting the blinking light, it is a solid amber color light. Is this right? Could the module be bad, or have I missed something?

You will likely need to reboot the apex to restore connection when switching between wired/wireless.

fastrd400
09/16/2011, 12:21 PM
I went to best buy last night and had them replace the adapter. Going to try re-installing it later today.

RussM
09/16/2011, 01:06 PM
I also am not getting the blinking light, it is a solid amber color light. Is this right? Could the module be bad, or have I missed something?the amber light on mine is always on steady... It never flashes.

RussM
09/16/2011, 01:12 PM
Is net gear the only wireless available or are there other options

There are other similar models out there, from Cisco/Linksys, D-Link, Trendnet, and others.

HndMafia
09/18/2011, 07:51 AM
I had insane router issues for months, dropping my Apex only most of the time. My Netgear equipment was the most troublesome--so much so the local Goodwill was given all of it. Installed Apple Airport Extreme router and issues disappeared. A couple of weeks later the cable company is looking for a signal leak and found a cable connector on a wall plate (behind the plate) extremely loose.

fastrd400
09/18/2011, 12:55 PM
I have replaced the adapter, configured it to the computer, and still it is not picking up my Apex. What now?

fastrd400
09/18/2011, 01:09 PM
I just went and re-started the Apex and it is now functioning.

RokleM
09/19/2011, 05:17 PM
As mentioned, the Apex is not "smart" like most modern operating systems that detect when a network connection is disconnected and connected. If you disconnect the network for any reason (wireless or wired), it typically requires a reboot of the apex to come back "online".