PDA

View Full Version : Good Recommendations for Nano Reef Fish?

MD11
09/15/2011, 11:21 AM
Do anyone have any recommendations for fish for a 29 Gallon Nano Reef? I currently only have one clown in my tank. I am looking for colorful fish that aren't too expensive or too hard to keep.

I really love Yellow Tangs and Blue Powered Tangs but I read online that you can't put them in a 29 Gallon tank. Is that true? My LFS has tangs that are not even 2 inches long. But I don't have a chiller so my tank's temp fluxuates about 2 degrees during the day.

AfricaOffroad
09/15/2011, 11:31 AM
1) Lot of smaller gobies like the Yasha are very suitable for a nano.
2) one of the dartfish
3) how about a pygmy wrasse of the wetmorella family

rssjsb
09/15/2011, 12:20 PM
A tang won't work in a 29. Lots of smaller fish will,though. Dartfish and possum wrasses are very nice fish. Tailspot blennies are great, too. Is your tank covered? Lots of little fish are jumpers. Also, what kind of clown do you have? Some of the more aggressive ones will be very hard on other fish in a tank that size.

Korrine
09/15/2011, 12:33 PM
this may be of assistance

top 10 nano reef fish
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667789&highlight=nano+fish

AlexS95
09/15/2011, 07:09 PM
I say a Unicorn Tang, they would do great in a 29.

Kidding aside, I say Royal Gramma, Firefish, Tanaka Possum Wrasse, maybe a Hawkfish.

clowntriggerfis
09/15/2011, 07:25 PM
you could do a six line wrasse but they can be aggressive

MD11
09/16/2011, 10:18 AM
I have a False Percula clown. I have no cover over my tank.

I may look at my local fish store for gobbies or wrasse. I like the Tanaka Possum Wrasse.

But what about the anthias? Can I get one of those? And I'm assuming I can't get any type of tang no matter what size it is?

Thanks for all the help! ;)

reeferstace
09/16/2011, 12:39 PM
Check out the green-banded gobies. They are gorgeous and very 'personable'.

Korrine
09/16/2011, 01:57 PM
no tangs. sorry. The tank isn't really big enough for anthias either. Not even a single. Do a search for my name and yasha and you will find a thread when I had my yasha goby with a candy cane pistol shrimp and I have videos :) The candy cane's stay small and aren't near a threat as Tiger pistol's are. It's cool to watch them borrow. Diver's Den occasionally sells them paired up already and conditioned, but you could buy them individually as well.

MD11
09/17/2011, 09:07 AM
Sweet! Thanks for the info. I look into the yasha goby and the candy cane shrimp. I'm assuming that they borrow together?

Korrine
09/17/2011, 09:29 AM
yea. it's a symbiotic relationship. The shrimp is nearly blind. The goby will sit at the burrow entrance and the shrimp will nearly always remain in some sort of contact with the goby when it nears the burrow entrance. This way the goby can alert it when danger is near. Did you find the video? I have more time now.

Here's 1

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid248.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg200%2Fkj23502%2Fsw%2520tank%2F100_6820.mp4" height="361" width="600">

(http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/kj23502/sw%20tank/?action=view&current=100_6472.mp4)

OodleyBoodely
09/17/2011, 03:44 PM
You might try a pair of yellow head jawfish. The yellowheads are smaller than other species and seem to be more outgoing as well.

a trio of stoplight cardinals, bright red and peaceful.

royal gramma, very beautiful and interesting fish

a small group 5-6 red spot cardinals

group of 3 barnical blennies

Korrine
09/17/2011, 04:28 PM
I'm in charge of a 29g Biocube where I volunteer and I put 3 yellow head jawfish in. They are about 4" so adults and pretty much fully grown. They share the tank wonderfully so far. Lets see... I put them in the tank in April. The only thing about them is they just started taking a few pellets and not with gusto. They mostly eat mysis.

MD11
09/17/2011, 06:04 PM
I really like the Royal Gramma! I also like the cardinals!

How about any ideas on fish that are really colorful but aren't in the goby / wrasse. At my petstore, I feel like the gobies are very interesting to watch, but I'm looking for fish that swims in the tank and stays very active.

Korrine
09/17/2011, 06:33 PM
did you read that thread I linked up there?

JaneG
09/17/2011, 10:18 PM
I really like the Royal Gramma! I also like the cardinals!

How about any ideas on fish that are really colorful but aren't in the goby / wrasse. At my petstore, I feel like the gobies are very interesting to watch, but I'm looking for fish that swims in the tank and stays very active.
What's wrong with wrasse? Sixlines can be quite aggressive, but there are a few more that are "all over" swimmers and awesome fish! Possum wrasse and pink streaked come to mind, as do flashers (which might need a little more room). Some more ideas:
Cherub angelfish (most will argue against this though...they really do need a mature tank with grazing opportunities). They're not always reef safe though.
Threadfin cardinals are a great idea. No one keeps these but they are gorgeous iridescent blue, silver, and gold (hard to capture in pics). They are also fine in groups!
Orchid dottybacks tend to stay near caves but swim out and about a bit...they also generally keep their vibrant purple color unlike a lot of purple fish (which tend to dull over time).
Fang blennies are awesome and uncommon. Their fangs (used for defense, not offense) make them more outgoing. They're always swimming in the water column and some are very pretty in a subtle way (I like the Disco blenny and Harptail blenny). They are poisonous though.

clowntriggerfis
09/17/2011, 10:34 PM
wrasse are jumpers and he has no top

JaneG
09/17/2011, 10:38 PM
wrasse are jumpers and he has no top
I guess I didn't read/see that. :fish1: In that case, it's going to be pretty hard to find fish in general. Most fish have a tendency to jump - some are just more vulnerable than others. In particular, no jawfish, no firefish. If you want open-top, I would suggest a cardinal, but I don't see why they don't make a mesh lid? They're very easy to make, inexpensive, and can look fine when done right (plus they protect your investments and allow you to keep some really cool fish IMO).

jbannick18
09/17/2011, 10:43 PM
Do anyone have any recommendations for fish for a 29 Gallon Nano Reef? I currently only have one clown in my tank. I am looking for colorful fish that aren't too expensive or too hard to keep.

I really love Yellow Tangs and Blue Powered Tangs but I read online that you can't put them in a 29 Gallon tank. Is that true? My LFS has tangs that are not even 2 inches long. But I don't have a chiller so my tank's temp fluxuates about 2 degrees during the day.

Tangs not even close.

Flame angel, cherub(pygmy angel)
Yellow watchman goby, green/yellow goby, yasha... most gobies
Clownfish - false/true percula
Wrasse - might be able to get away with some fairy wrasse such as mccoskers.....Six-line will become super aggressive, would never recommend

eci
09/18/2011, 09:02 AM
dartfish
royal grama
clown goby
dottyback (beware agrsv)

velvetelvis
12/10/2011, 06:47 AM
Fang blennies are awesome and uncommon. Their fangs (used for defense, not offense) make them more outgoing. They're always swimming in the water column and some are very pretty in a subtle way (I like the Disco blenny and Harptail blenny). They are poisonous though.

Seconding the fangblenny recommendation. The name and the venomousness (is that a word?) make them sound intimidating, but they're some of the most peaceful, likable fish I've ever kept.

Striped fangblennies (Meiacanthus grammistes) are one of my personal favorites. Canary fangblennies (M. oualanensis) are a solid bright yellow, similar to midas blennies but prettier (I think, anyway). ORA and a couple of other places breed them, so you can generally find them online or ask your LFS to order them.

Just make sure that you get the Meiacanthus fangblennies. There are also a couple of genuses that get called "fangblennies," but aren't peaceful at all: they're fin- and scale-eaters that will mercilessly nip other fish. Many of them are mimics of cleaner wrasses and the "good" fangblennies. I don't think they're usually sold in the trade, but make sure the store knows what they're selling, just to be on the safe side. If you get a captive-bred fangblenny, it won't be an issue--those are all Meiacanthus species.

nanoreefer1000
12/10/2011, 07:02 AM
ANY fish could jump! I recommend to spend $10 on a top before anything else.