PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a MP40 Vortech cheapest online?

TDesaulniers
09/15/2011, 06:08 PM
Like the title says.

W8lifts
09/15/2011, 06:15 PM
I asked My LFS and they are getting me one 50 dollars cheaper then online, so you may want to talk to your LFS

lordofthereef
09/15/2011, 06:15 PM
In the used forum ;)

Seriously!

Curtis72
09/15/2011, 06:16 PM
My lfs said it would give me a wireless mp10 for 210. I think they retail for 260ish.

adrianh11
09/15/2011, 06:30 PM
Best price I found is Ebay right now. Some guy has been selling them at 395 ea. I haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

dlp211
09/15/2011, 06:40 PM
I got 2 on eBay for 375 shipped brand new. Look for people with "of Best Offer" as a part of their buy it now portions.

W8lifts
09/15/2011, 07:08 PM
Looks like ebay is your best bet

d0ughb0y
09/15/2011, 09:36 PM
lots selling in used forum for prices higher than brand new. They probably got it for $375.

fishome25
09/16/2011, 03:59 PM
effective 8/15/11 the Minimum Retail Price for an mp40 is $465. if a vendor ia caught selling for less their account will be suspended, or they may not be authorized distributors. In which case I wouldn't count on any warranty.

lurch
09/16/2011, 05:04 PM
Why are they so expensive for. Also why would they put a minimal price that retailers can sell them for?

evsalty
09/16/2011, 05:11 PM
effective 8/15/11 the Minimum Retail Price for an mp40 is $465. if a vendor ia caught selling for less their account will be suspended, or they may not be authorized distributors. In which case I wouldn't count on any warranty.

That $465 M.A.P. price is for the new ES models. The ones on ebay might be non es old stock.

M.A.P. (minimum advertised price) is seeming to be very popular with high end equipment in our hobby. I think it is BS for buyers but it is supposed to be to help the sellers from loosing all profits trying to keep competitively priced with the next store/vendor.

edit: Just looked on ebay and they are the es models so who knows.

fishome25
09/16/2011, 05:12 PM
why are they so expensive? i dunno...
but the minimum price makes perfect sense and many brands do this. It is very easy for online stores with very little overhead to sell high end products with barely any markup just to make a few bucks. In turn no one would buy them from local retailers trying to stay and business with a fair profit margin. The retailer stops carrying their line and in turn the manufacturer loses sales.

lordofthereef
09/16/2011, 05:13 PM
Why are they so expensive for. Also why would they put a minimal price that retailers can sell them for?

Many products have this. This is what is generally known as an MAP. They don't want huge competition behind various sellers (causing sellers who order a much smaller number to stop carrying). It's a way to keep their prices/profits up. They are so expensive because people are willing to pay that much for them (and they are worth it). NOBODY has a product like it on the market. Economics, really.

albano
09/16/2011, 05:26 PM
but the minimum price makes perfect sense and many brands do this.
if a vendor is caught selling for less their account will be suspended, or they may not be authorized distributors. In which case I wouldn't count on any warranty.

It is NOT a minimum price...it is a minimum ADVERTISED price...Price fixing is not legal...a retailer can sell for any price he wants...if he wants, he can give it to you for FREE!
As for the product not being covered by warranty...that would be one hell of a legal problem for the company!

If your LFS tells you that they can't 'legally' give you a deal on it...they're 'legally' lying!

W8lifts
09/16/2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah sombody call the Mp40 police squad cus I got a better deal L:wildone:OL

BrklynArch
09/16/2011, 05:44 PM
I got mine from bulk reef supply for $445...awesome company and there also a sponsor here.
Customer service was/is great. For me its like another level of security knowing if i had a problem w pumps in the future i would be dealing with nice helpful people. Both at ecotech & BRS. The guys at Premium Aquatics are also a pleasure to deal with. I know it sounds corny but its true

lurch - i think their that expensive because they invented and produce a solid piece of equipment that does what it claims. Oh and I think they hold a patent on the tech that the vortech uses.
Kinda like Apple and all the "i" products.

lordofthereef
09/16/2011, 06:05 PM
It is NOT a minimum price...it is a minimum ADVERTISED price...Price fixing is not legal...a retailer can sell for any price he wants...if he wants, he can give it to you for FREE!
As for the product not being covered by warranty...that would be one hell of a legal problem for the company!

If your LFS tells you that they can't 'legally' give you a deal on it...they're 'legally' lying!

It certainly is legal for the shops to sell it for whatever they want. It is also a great way for the shop to stop getting product from ecotech (which is also perfectly legal).

fishome25
09/16/2011, 06:31 PM
Albano, I am familiar with their policy. and they have BOTH a minimum advertised price (MAP) and a Minimum Retail Price (MRP) policy. The retailer can sell it for whatever price he wants, as long as it's at or above the minimum retail price.

albano
09/16/2011, 06:42 PM
It is also a great way for the shop to stop getting product from ecotech (which is also perfectly legal).
You're falling for the 'hype'...if they pulled the product from everyone that discounts it...they'd have to retail them, themselves....
As with any manufacturer/distributor/wholesaler, they get 'their' full price on every unit that is 'sold' to retailers. Sure they want their dealers to do good and make $... thats one of the reasons for the MAP...try to keep everyone happy and competitive, (although, I would bet that the volume dealers, do get a lower pricing/bigger discount!)
but the point is...you CAN get a deal from your LFS, or even some online stores.

BTW...if the online store gives you free shipping on your MP40, is that a discount? You bet it is!

albano
09/16/2011, 06:51 PM
Albano, I am familiar with their policy. and they have BOTH a minimum advertised price (MAP) and a Minimum Retail Price (MRP) policy. The retailer can sell it for whatever price he wants, as long as it's at or above the minimum retail price.
THANK YOU...the defense rests!

fishome25
09/16/2011, 06:57 PM
I must have been misunderstood. I never said that a retailer had to sell them for $465. I said thats the least they can sell them for. And yes you get a bigger discount by buying more, but that doesn't change the MRP. As for BRS selling for $445. That was the MRP price before 8/15/11. I guess they didn't update their price yet. So if you are looking, get it while you can...

albano
09/16/2011, 07:13 PM
I must have been misunderstood. I never said that a retailer had to sell them for $465. I said thats the least they can sell them for.
As for BRS selling for $445. That was the MRP price before 8/15/11.
You're still 'misunderstood'...are you sure $445 was the MRP, NOT the MAP?.

fishome25
09/16/2011, 08:05 PM
they have both MRP and MAP. It happens to be the same amount.

d0ughb0y
09/17/2011, 10:53 AM

I have seen people here buy used but still under warranty units and have no problem getting them fixed under warranty.

don't ALL units come from ecotech regardless where you buy it? therefore they are obligated to honor the warranty?

lordofthereef
09/17/2011, 10:57 AM
You're falling for the 'hype'...if they pulled the product from everyone that discounts it...they'd have to retail them, themselves....
As with any manufacturer/distributor/wholesaler, they get 'their' full price on every unit that is 'sold' to retailers. Sure they want their dealers to do good and make $... thats one of the reasons for the MAP...try to keep everyone happy and competitive, (although, I would bet that the volume dealers, do get a lower pricing/bigger discount!)
but the point is...you CAN get a deal from your LFS, or even some online stores.

BTW...if the online store gives you free shipping on your MP40, is that a discount? You bet it is!

I am not talking discounts. I am talking people (retailers) selling at or near cost to them. This is no hype. There are LFS that no longer are able to carry ecotech products because they have done this on multiple large orders.

AquaReeferMan
09/17/2011, 12:01 PM
http://ecotechmarine.com/map/

This explains their policy.

albano
09/17/2011, 12:10 PM
I am not talking discounts. I am talking people (retailers) selling at or near cost to them. This is no hype. There are LFS that no longer are able to carry ecotech products because they have done this on multiple large orders.
Who is them? We're not on the "same page here"...I have only been referring to a single/end-consumer retail purchases (at below list price), NOT a retailer 'wholesaling' multiple large orders, at or near cost.

fishome25
09/17/2011, 12:34 PM
That is their MAP but it does not show their MRP policy. I'm not sure why I continue this debate. I'm holding an ecotech vendor agreement in my hand, you can believe me or not. I really have no reason to lie, I was just trying to help the thread starter. Is it possible a vendor breaks the rules and doesn't get caught? Sure.

lordofthereef
09/17/2011, 02:31 PM
Who is them? We're not on the "same page here"...I have only been referring to a single/end-consumer retail purchases (at below list price), NOT a retailer 'wholesaling' multiple large orders, at or near cost.

Ok. Let me clear up the confusion here. I realize what you are referring to, but your responses have been directly to me, which is likely why we had the back and forth.

I was simply trying to point out that group buys are frowned upon and there have been fish stores banned from carrying the product because of this.

Not trying to argue, not trying to step on any toes, just trying to make sure the information is out there. I think, based on the topic of the thread, I haven't strayed too far off topic and my input likely has value, especially to those that may not have known this information.

albano
09/17/2011, 02:42 PM
Not trying to argue, not trying to step on any toes, just trying to make sure the information is out there. I think, based on the topic of the thread, I haven't strayed too far off topic and my input likely has value, especially to those that may not have known this information.
+100%...you're NOT off topic, your information HAS value (now that I know what you were referring to)...
I'm with you, the more informed everyone is, the better!
I'd like everyone to get the 'deals' that I get! (doesn't cost me a dime, to pass on info, and help others SAVE $)

TDesaulniers
09/17/2011, 09:45 PM
I have seen people here buy used but still under warranty units and have no problem getting them fixed under warranty.

don't ALL units come from ecotech regardless where you buy it? therefore they are obligated to honor the warranty?

I was wondering about this too. I am a little reluctant of buying a used ecotech product (in this case a used MP40 Vortech) just because I am not sure if I would be honored a warranty since I wasn't the original buyer. Anyone out there with information on this?

And yes, I find all this information within this thread useful. Thanks guys.

d0ughb0y
09/18/2011, 02:17 AM
the only way you are guaranteed to get warranty service is if you buy new from an authorized dealer, so if that is your main concern, get it from a dealer.

I don't think there will be any used mp40 (non es) that is still under warranty.

chiton
09/18/2011, 08:13 AM
Just bought 2 from indurain5 on eBay for $395ea + $15 shipping. They came in unopened boxes with warranty registration. Already setup and working beautifully.

rogersb
09/18/2011, 10:17 AM
the only way you are guaranteed to get warranty service is if you buy new from an authorized dealer, so if that is your main concern, get it from a dealer.

I don't think there will be any used mp40 (non es) that is still under warranty.

I bought an mp10 used and it had some problems after a few months of me owning it. If I remember correctly it was a little over a year old and they still sent me replacement parts free of cost.

TDesaulniers
09/18/2011, 02:33 PM
I bought an mp10 used and it had some problems after a few months of me owning it. If I remember correctly it was a little over a year old and they still sent me replacement parts free of cost.

How long until the warranty expires?

lordofthereef
09/18/2011, 03:22 PM
All new units come with a warranty. There is a serial number sticker on the back of the drivers. If you are worried, ask the seller for that number and post it in the ecotech forum. They are very active in their verndor forum and will be happy to tell you how much of the warranty is left. I did this with some MP40s I bought used. The seller said they had 2 months left on them. Ecotech told me 6!

lordofthereef
09/18/2011, 03:23 PM

What was wrong with it. Some of the known issues (that happened to a larger percentage of people) on their units seem to have an unofficial lifetime warranty. If you are nice/polite, they tend to bend over backwards for you too. Awesome company that stands behind their products!

albano
09/19/2011, 12:38 PM
MP40ES $400

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19298951&posted=1#post19298951

discus510
09/19/2011, 01:00 PM
get the pumps while u can price is going up on october 1st 2011

TRENT_G
09/19/2011, 01:06 PM
Sweet deal......

rogersb
09/19/2011, 06:11 PM
What was wrong with it. Some of the known issues (that happened to a larger percentage of people) on their units seem to have an unofficial lifetime warranty. If you are nice/polite, they tend to bend over backwards for you too. Awesome company that stands behind their products!

The dry side began whining loudly. I have 2 and the one is silent but over time the other began to be heard in other rooms. It's a $106 replacement so I was glad they replaced it free.

d0ughb0y
09/19/2011, 06:38 PM

That may be true, that's why I qualified what I said by "guaranteed".
You are taking your chances buying used, and if you read the warranty text, it even says it is not transferrable, and they are only legally bound to the written warranty terms. I would not tell that poster thinking of buying the older mp40 that he can get warranty service on it.

Did you just got the mp10 serviced recently, like in the last month? Or was it before the es version came out?

rogersb
09/20/2011, 08:49 AM
That may be true, that's why I qualified what I said by "guaranteed".
You are taking your chances buying used, and if you read the warranty text, it even says it is not transferrable, and they are only legally bound to the written warranty terms. I would not tell that poster thinking of buying the older mp40 that he can get warranty service on it.

Did you just got the mp10 serviced recently, like in the last month? Or was it before the es version came out?

It is the es version. I forget that there are multiple versions as both of mine are the same.

mrabolli
09/20/2011, 09:31 AM
I planned on mp40's but ditched the idea for doing something far cheaper and imo better. A closed loop for circulation. Not sure why we got away from this but its alot better to me than risking inhabitants to powerheads and prop powerheads in particular. If you lose power for an extended time you can always throw in an emergency maxi-jet or two until your pump is back on-line. looks cleaner in most applications too.

lucky_snapper
09/20/2011, 09:40 AM

This is called MAP or Manufacturer Advertised Price and it is a very common practice in retail. The reason they do this is to protect the market from over competition. By setting a set price they try to level the playing field for their distributors and stop one of them from destroying the market.

TDesaulniers
09/20/2011, 02:59 PM
I planned on mp40's but ditched the idea for doing something far cheaper and imo better. A closed loop for circulation. Not sure why we got away from this but its alot better to me than risking inhabitants to powerheads and prop powerheads in particular. If you lose power for an extended time you can always throw in an emergency maxi-jet or two until your pump is back on-line. looks cleaner in most applications too.

Well as far as looks go, the MP Vortech series is cleaner looking then any other powerhead out there since only half of it is actually in the water. As far as capability goes, the Vortech runs circles around a loop system with all it's features. Then of course the Vortech runs at a fraction of the electricity a loop system would run at. To each his own I guess.