PDA

View Full Version : New and lots of filtration questions?

swflfisher
09/15/2011, 06:55 PM
I'm wanting to do this with as little mech filtration as possible. If I have a large fuge will it make a differance? I was thinking Large fuge with everything I can put in there, socks, and maybe an alge scrubber? What say you? I'm thinking the least amout of moveing parts the easier in the long run,

swflfisher
09/15/2011, 07:03 PM
Thought I would add that I thinking 200 ish tank. also have plenty of room for filtration in a fish room. would it be helpfull to have a socks to fuge to a large area of additional lr then back to the tank?

tkeracer619
09/15/2011, 08:06 PM
Filter socks are mechanical and algae scrubbers are a royal pain.

A skimmer is your best bet. It is chemical filtration believe it or not. A large fuge can make a difference. I prefer gfo vs macro algae and don't run a fuge on any of my tank.

If you have room for live rock in the sump then go for it. Cant have too much in a sump.

swflfisher
09/15/2011, 08:17 PM
so if I had a sump with socks, going to a chamber with alot of rock(100 ibs or so), then skimmer I would be ok? If not what else should I do?

tkeracer619
09/15/2011, 08:20 PM
Yup you would be fine. I would put skimmer first. Make sure to change the bags a couple times a week. look into media reactors to run carbon and gfo. Bulkreefsupply.com has good prices on these items. I only use bags when I blow the rocks out once or so a month.

This is my 360. That is all I run except I have biopellets and a calcium reactor but they are not necessary for success. The biopellets were not used until recently and were not used when I took this pic.
http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/3567/ftssmallboarderjan22011.jpg

swflfisher
09/15/2011, 08:35 PM
thanks for the advice, and that is an awesome tank!!

tkeracer619
09/15/2011, 08:42 PM
Your welcome and thanks! :)

nonstopfishies
09/15/2011, 09:11 PM
I agree, I would put the skimmer first as well. I do like using filter socks because it keeps small stuff out of the water column. I definitely would utilize the biggest fuge you could fit.

Gorgeous tank tkeracer.

swflfisher
09/15/2011, 09:17 PM
anybody that want to give a general rundown of their filtration here that would be great.

jeanietn
09/15/2011, 09:22 PM
Your tank is beautiful! 7000ish gallons? Do you live next to the ocean?
I have a 55 gal. just now learning how to manage it. As a matter of fact I am afraid to buy more fish. The one's I have are over 1 year old I feel lucky to still have them:mixed:
I Wish You Well!!
Jeanie:wave:

tkeracer619
09/15/2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone :) Aquariums used to be my job. I worked for a high end setup and maintenance company but now I work on wind towers. 1500g sps tanks... no problem! :D.

Filtration is critical to any aquarium but getting into a regular routine is just as important. Proper and consistent husbandry will reward you more then any extravagant setup. To me filtration needs to meet a few criteria.
*Capacity - It needs to be able to support the bioload and any equipment that you might use along with extra water should the power cut off.
*Simplicity - It needs to be easy to access. If its not you won't keep it clean. Complex sumps tend to fail or get cluttered.
*Reliability - Components need to be solid. I am a tinkerer but reef tanks are not experiments. All connections need to be done properly. No short cuts.

jeffesaurusrex
09/16/2011, 06:34 AM
Whatever turf scrubbers take from you in maintenance they give right back with their ability to enable you to go without water changes for long periods, if at all. Inland Aquatics here in Terre Haute has 0 nitrates and phosphates, and haven't changed their water in 12 years. I talked to the guy about it for a while while I was in there a week ago. And they still use the old outdated surge types, except for on some of their contained displays in the back room which they have the overhead waterfall types installed on. Crystal clear water, 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates and 0 water changes.

All you need to do is take out your screens and remove the algae from them once a week, every week religiously. And of course make sure you don't let your bulbs sit burnt out.

If I had the room I would sell my skimmer and go to ATS in a heartbeat. If you are poor like me ;) you can make one yourself but if you have the coin you can buy one from SantaMonica, a guy that runs a forum about them, for 7-800 bucks and it's one nice looking piece of equipment to boot.

Keep in mind though, I say 0 water changes but you still either have to dose to maintain your trace elements or do water changes just to keep them up.