PDA

View Full Version : Alk drop in one day

Finland
09/15/2011, 06:57 PM
Due to stupidity/laziness, my alk crept up to over 13dKH. I tested it twice(salifert) and it was 13.1 and 13.4 last night. I dose Randy's 2 part and forgot to buy baking soda, so I substituted Kents superbuffer(dry powder form mixed with RO) for the baking soda and kept my equal ca and alk dose the same without testing(real brain fart on my part). Well the alk must be more concentrated, because alk shot up to over 13 from a rock solid 8.5 over about a 2 week span. Needless to say, I didn't dose alk last night and now my alk tests at 11.1dKH(tested it twice). I have a sps dominate tank and only the plana is very unhappy with me. The rest of the corals are still looking ok. Could be better, but still ok. Now my question is, dropping 2dKH in one day is a pretty big drop, should I add a smaller part of alk to slowdown the alk drop, or should I let it drop to 8.5dKH then begin normal dosing? My corals seemed happiest when I am at 8-8.5. My calcium is still at the normal 425.

hedgedrew
09/15/2011, 09:59 PM
drop it slowly!!!!!! not even a question

bertoni
09/16/2011, 12:44 AM
I'd probably let it drop 1 dKH per day. I suspect all the animals will be fine. Most often, this type of overdosing does no harm.