PDA

View Full Version : peppermint shrimp gone?

Janh
09/15/2011, 08:49 PM
I did three days of lights out for algae about two weeks ago, have not seen the shrimp since. Do they tend to hide this long or is it likely he is dead? If he is dead, should I tear apart the rock to find a body?

mdeleon1
09/15/2011, 08:58 PM
Mine went missing also a week ago. Then my cleaner shrimp ended up dead but I never saw peppermint shrimp dead body.

I wouldn't tear apart my rock for a small shrimp. CUC probably took care of it already.

pfcreed
09/15/2011, 08:59 PM
I bought one about two months ago, I dropped him in and i never saw him again, Up until this morning before work I turned the light on and caught him out in the open. It was better then a cup of coffee.

Microcosmos
09/15/2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah they hide a lot. I had six and thought I was down to one, but apparently I just see one at a time usually because 2 popped out the other day. I figure as long as any aiptasia that pops up on any rocks I introduce with frags just disappears, I'm okay with not seeing my shrimps very often!

Sean Bartel

Janh
09/15/2011, 09:22 PM
This one has been in the tank since April and I used to see it everday, it would come out when I fed the fish. Other stuff has just recently started to hide in the tank for days at a time also though, so maybe the shrimp is too.

My shrimp does not eat any of my aiptasia, which was the reason I got it in the first place.

DaveWF
09/15/2011, 09:31 PM
Mine went missing for a few weeks too, then I found him a couple of days ago....

http://www.greatcomputerservice.com/pictures/aquarium/uhoh.jpg

No, I'm not kidding :furious:

pfcreed
09/15/2011, 09:31 PM
i cant get mine to eat any aiptasia. I have a really huge one so im just gunna get some aiptasia x n nuke it.

Janh
09/15/2011, 09:50 PM
Wow Davewf, that is quite a pic. I have one of the high fin cardinals, maybe he got hungry when the lights were out and ate mine. I don't really care if he is gone, I got him to eat the aiptasia and he never did, I just don't want him rotting somewhere in the tank.

I have used the aiptasia x many times pfcreed, but they just keep coming back, and if possible seem to pick better spots that are almost impossible for me to get to with the syringe. Hopefully you will have better luck.

kingfisher62
09/15/2011, 10:15 PM
OMG , Dave , that is a great pic! That is terrible and I dont know why I laughed out loud when I saw it but I did!

pentrix2
09/16/2011, 10:19 AM
Mine went missing for a few weeks too, then I found him a couple of days ago....

oh damn!! caught in action

Fish Biscuit
09/16/2011, 11:00 AM
Wow Dave, what a picture! Maybe you should feed him once in a while hehe :)

DaveWF
09/16/2011, 11:03 AM
The worst part of all of that is that it took the fish HOURS to get the shrimp down, and the legs never stopped wiggling!
Poor guy...

snorvich
09/16/2011, 11:36 AM

Cardinal fish do eat shrimp.

BeanMachine
09/16/2011, 11:51 AM
The worst part of all of that is that it took the fish HOURS to get the shrimp down, and the legs never stopped wiggling!
Poor guy...

Dang so cardinals aren't reef safe huh? That's a great picture!

Microcosmos
09/16/2011, 03:32 PM

I would never have guessed that a cardinal would eat a peppermint! Sorry about your shrimp! (That was a great photo op though!)

pentrix2
09/16/2011, 03:48 PM
Wow Dave, what a picture! Maybe you should feed him once in a while hehe :)

hahaha, too true. feed that little guy once in awhile now, hahaha.

Pen

laugh
09/16/2011, 07:45 PM

Apparently.