PDA

View Full Version : Join the "Dark Side"

Doc_Polit
09/16/2011, 12:04 PM
Well.....

I have a soon to be drilled and re-sealed 120 gallon (48"x24"x24") tank to fill.

I had initially decided to put Discus in it, but since they are every bit as pricey as marine specimens, I am contemplating a FOWLR instead.

For those with some expertise with FOWLR's, would you mind taking a minute to offer some advice?

I would love to hear some of the pitfalls to watch for, some tips on getting established, tricks for success, etc.

Fire away. :wavehand:

namxas
09/16/2011, 01:44 PM
I'm your father, Luke...

Wait...wrong Dark Side...

The biggest things:

Research (which you're working on)

Patience. Nothing good happens fast, but problems can take forever to fix.

If you can, run a sump-based system. They give you a lot more versatility, as well as a place to hide your unsightly gadgets (heater, skimmer, etc.). I'm also a fan of closed-loops for additional flow and current switchers such as the SCWD.

Get a GOOD skimmer. I'm a fan of the cone skimmers (Eshopps makes a couple of good models for a decent price).

Since you said FOWLR, you'll be using LR, which is the best way to go IMHO. I'm also a fan of live macro algae in the DT, as it looks good, aids in water quality, and harbors pods.

Substrate-wise, I recommend #3 or #1 grade aragonite sand. It "lays down" better than sugar-fine, but doesn't trap particles like CC does.

The rest kinda depends on what you plan to keep.

DoubleM 10
09/16/2011, 04:12 PM
I'm your father, Luke...

Wait...wrong Dark Side...

The biggest things:

Research (which you're working on)

Patience. Nothing good happens fast, but problems can take forever to fix.

If you can, run a sump-based system. They give you a lot more versatility, as well as a place to hide your unsightly gadgets (heater, skimmer, etc.). I'm also a fan of closed-loops for additional flow and current switchers such as the SCWD.

Get a GOOD skimmer. I'm a fan of the cone skimmers (Eshopps makes a couple of good models for a decent price).

Since you said FOWLR, you'll be using LR, which is the best way to go IMHO. I'm also a fan of live macro algae in the DT, as it looks good, aids in water quality, and harbors pods.

Substrate-wise, I recommend #3 or #1 grade aragonite sand. It "lays down" better than sugar-fine, but doesn't trap particles like CC does.

The rest kinda depends on what you plan to keep.

thats funny cause i just bought the blue ray set lmfao

im a fan of the reefdynamics skimmer. i have 2. one on my FO and the other on my 46 mantis tank.

they are easy to adjust and literaly plug and play. i have the ins-80. great for my tank (55 and a 46)

i would go larger.

me personally im not sold on the cone designs. bubble in water go up no matter what to me.

lights is whatever you like. dont need anything super strong to keep coraline happy. i have aquatic life fixtures on both tank. fair price and built in timer. flawless so far.

IMO if you do not have a QT tank i would do FO. Reason for this is in an emergency only you can treat the tank in most cases if you do not have a ton of inverts. in my very early days i treated my 55 with copper to save the fish cause i did not have a qt. the hermit crabs were able to handle it but all others died very quickly.

like others have said patience is key.

good luck. im curious to know what animals you plan to keep

Curious George
09/16/2011, 08:19 PM
I had Discus. Bought them from Discus Hans --Stendker Discus. I had 4 6 inchers. After 2 years, I was bored out of my mind and the water changes took their toll. Gorgeous fish though but beyond their color, shape, and size they left something to be desired.

I came back saltwater and am glad I did. Do it! You won't regret it. A 120 is a great FOWLR tank. You have quite a list of options and skies the limit on choices and personality--aside from a Vlamingi Tang of course. I saw one today at the LFS and can't get it out of my head.

jjk_reef00
09/17/2011, 12:05 AM
+1 you will get board of fresh water (at least that is what I did)
Go onto liveaqaria or another online retail store and start looking at what type of fish you like

I agree with the above, live rock, sump, and oversized skimmer.
FOWLRs can be low maintenance if you set it up right and don't extremely overstock your tank. The only downside is that your have to mix your own saltwater.