PDA

View Full Version : re-Stocking after an outbreak, Quarantine question

PoggiPJ
09/16/2011, 02:22 PM
I have a 180 with lots of rock and hiding places, softies, 2 anemones, 4 cleaner shrimp and loads of brittle stars, worms, and pods. I recently lost all fish to a parasite outbreak. Early October will make 8 weeks since the last fish died. I am now considering restocking choices, and it is time to address the quarantine method.

I've presented the following two options to some local people in the hobby.

Option 1, place 1 order and receive all 9-12 fish at once. Receive them directly from the shipper, or pick them up from the LFS while still in their original bags. Put them directly into the 180, at the same time and let them adjust.

Option 2, obtain the fish a few at a time, set up a 20 - 30 gal tank and quarantine them, move them into the 180 DT Repeat this process 2 or 3 more times.

So far the consensus has been to choose obtion 2 for the folloing reasons.

a there are no existing fish inhabitants to infect.
b the size and setup of the tank would be a far less stressful environment
c not opening the bags at the LFS and not moving them from a small quarantine eliminates 2 stress points.

I was hoping I could get some thoughts from some of my friends here at RC.

aquaph8
09/16/2011, 02:38 PM
The QT process is far less stressful. Throwing a bunch of fish in the 180 will probably put you right back where you started 8 weeks ago. Just buy 1 or2 at a time, put them in QT, get them nice and fat and be prepared to treat if need be. Don't go down the same path twice.

snorvich
09/16/2011, 03:30 PM
Option 2. No doubt about it.

enjetek
09/16/2011, 03:33 PM
Option 2 is correct. Just get them based on aggression level with the least ones going first and you should be ok. Just because they are less stressed by being in the original shipping bags doesnt mean they didnt get anything along the way.