PDA

View Full Version : Tank Mockup

Tradewinds
09/16/2011, 04:19 PM
I wanted to get a three-dimensional feel for the largest tank I could place in my basement without tearing out the walls surrounding the stairwell to move the tank into the basement.

For about twelve dollars, I was able to purchase 1/2" PVC pipe and assorted material to create tank mockups of various sizes. Besides determining the largest standard tank size, I could move within my space limitations, I was also able to get a good feel for the best location for the tank within my office.

For me PVC is easier and thus quicker to use than cardboard and I am sure I will be able to reuse the material around the house or perhaps even for tank set-up or experimentation.

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post, I did a search and didn't find any solid matches.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/mike5050/tankmockup.jpg

Gorgok
09/16/2011, 04:48 PM
That is a great idea. Plenty faster than a similar mockup out of 1"x2" and much better than cardboard (unless you happen to have boxes that add up to the right size).

Best part is you can build it with a single tool, and do alterations on the spot.

RJS8540
09/17/2011, 02:55 PM
Great Idea, but I think your stand is a bit under sized:hammer::lolspin:

trickedout900
09/17/2011, 08:08 PM
Awesome idea.

Tradewinds
09/17/2011, 08:17 PM
Great Idea, but I think your stand is a bit under sized:hammer::lolspin:

The rest of the stand is there, but you can't see it because of the two layers of clear coat I applied. :thumbsup:

Misled
09/17/2011, 08:29 PM
The rest of the stand is there, but you can't see it because of the two layers of clear coat I applied. :thumbsup:

Nice!!!!!! :lmao:

Davckowski
09/17/2011, 09:20 PM
hope it helps

Tradewinds
09/18/2011, 07:56 AM
hope it helps

Thanks, my biggest reason for the quick mock up was to see if I could navigate an eight-foot tank into my basement. I took all the measurements before hand - which showed that an eight-foot tank would not be feasible without some demo, but I was still hoping that I could squeeze a larger tank down the steps. Sadly, that was not the case; the largest standard tank size will be 72x24x24.

cody6766
09/18/2011, 01:59 PM
That's a great idea. I know what I'll be doing when I work my next tank build. Simple, cheap and effective...well done. You can definitely use that pipe for tank plumbing in the future, so it's not all lost