PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates,Nitrates and more Nitrates

koll12
09/16/2011, 08:38 PM
Ok so nothing I try is seeming to work to lower my nitrates . I have a 210 gallon and Ive been doing 90 gallon water changes and I'll see a little change for a day or two and then after that it shoots right back up. I also run bio pellets , which been running those for 2 months and they haven't helped in the least bit. I'm wondering if I'd see a significant change if I bought a new skimmer . Mine is an octopus extreme 200? I think, and it's ranked to a 200 gallon tank ? . I do keep quite a few few fish about 15-16 . Im just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to help me fix this nitrate problem , seems like I can't get it under control. I've been constantly fighting this for the last 3 months.

bertoni
09/16/2011, 08:44 PM
A new skimmer might help a lot if the Octopus isn't doing the job, but I don't know of any useful data on skimmer performance to help you make a choice. Other than that, I'd look into reducing the feeding level or maybe adding a large refugium. Vodka dosing is another approach that works for some people.

NanoReefWanabe
09/16/2011, 09:03 PM
i dont think a skimmer actually removes NO3, it just removes the crap that turns into NO3, so a larger skimmer would likely help remove more waste and excess food from your system...

i like refugiums too...

jbannick18
09/16/2011, 09:25 PM
Refugium with chaeto will help with exporting the nitrates. Until then I would reduce your feedings as the skimmer you have now just can't keep up.

bertoni
09/16/2011, 09:57 PM
I agree that the skimmer won't reduce nitrate directly. It might help reduce the production of nitrate, which would allow the level to decline, though.

RyanAlan
09/16/2011, 10:32 PM
Which 14 fish do you have and how often do you feed?

koll12
09/16/2011, 11:26 PM
I have some smaller wrasses and about 6-7 tangs and other misc.fish . I feed once a day and algea sometimes twice a day

tmz
09/17/2011, 05:57 AM
I keep a lot of well fed fish and have battled high nitrates in the past. More skimming would help. In my case I added a second one rather than just replacing the old one.
Rinsing food and frequent detritus removal can help as can macroalgae refugia, extra surface areas such as sand beds and cryptic areas filled with live rock. Carbon dosing via pellets, vodka vinegar ,etc works better at maintaining low nitrates than reducing a large chunk. ime, with less risk of overdose and/or a bacterial bloom,. Ultimately, a diy sulfur denitrator dropped the nitrates in my system from near 80ppm to near zero in less than 5 weeks. NO3 has been steady at <0.5 for about 3 years with moderate vodka and vinegar dosing without the denitrator.

rysher
09/17/2011, 07:46 AM
is nitrate necessary for coral growth? like 5ppm?

Percula9
09/17/2011, 11:06 AM
What is the actual nitrate reading?

tmz
09/17/2011, 11:29 AM
is nitrate necessary for coral growth? like 5ppm?

Some fixed nitrogen is necessary, whether it's nitrate,nitite or ammonia,etc. However, natural reef values for nitrate are very low ,around 0.2ppm, so a nitrogen deficiency is highly unlikely in a fed reef tank.