PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Sump Design

hingedthinker
09/16/2011, 10:35 PM
This is the latest version of my sump design, borrowed from melev heavily. This one is based on a 55G AGA tank. The tank that I have already has a 14" high acrylic separator, so I will be adding the bubble trap and fuge separators from a local supplier.

Thoughts? Opinions welcome too.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/hingedthinker/125G%20Aqueon%20tank%20design/Guillory125GPlanv2sump.png

alanbates12
09/17/2011, 05:20 PM
I know there are many thoughts on fuge set up. I'm trying to learn also but one thing in this design I'm curious about is where your macro will be. Looks like your water is coming into the primary dump then flows into the macro algae area. I've been told this creates a lot of water flow and pods will have a hard time because they will dump over into the return area hence not having time to multiply. I know you want them to make it to this area but also have a good place for them to breed. Remember I'm trying to learn also and this is what someone had told me. I'm also looking to set up inside my basement everything to run my DT upstairs so I"m looking for ideas just like yours. I'll be following along

hingedthinker
09/17/2011, 05:29 PM
I will have gate valves on both returns from the megaflows. I plan on slowing down the return into the LR dump area as compared to the other dump that will go straight into the protein skimmer. Excess flow from the LR/Fuge side will dump directly into the skimmer side.

alanbates12
09/17/2011, 06:33 PM
Cool that makes sense. I've got a 180 in my living room and underneath my living room is my man cave that I plan to convert into my aquarium maintenance room/man cave. Already I have the RODI there but I'm starting from scratch. I know I want to have a way to change the water with the turn of a few valves. Also I've thought about trying to make this decorative with a small control room off to the side with all the valves and switches. Not sure of the plan but I want it to have mangroves growing like a small forest in a large portion. Soon I'll start a thread and get more ideas. good luck on the setup