PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI design question?

Edward Smith
09/17/2011, 06:58 AM
Not sure if this would be the correct forum, but thought I would try here first.

I'm on well water and have a traditional RO/DI setup (prefilters-AC-RO-DI).

The DI burns very fast because there's lots of CO2 in the water. The traditional resolution is adding a CO2 degasser. Although, I was thinking of this:

Prefilter-prefilter-RO-reservoir-booster pump- another RO (1 to 1 RO membrane, not the traditional 4 to 1), no DI.

Rational: Being on well, water is cheap (and good for my septic system), so the extra waste water isn't a problem. I'm trying to get rid of the DI component (less maintenance and cost) and not build a degasser.

Someone mentioned RO membranes will not remove small particles (phosphates), hence DI was necessary?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

bertoni
09/17/2011, 02:43 PM
RO removes phosphate well. Your plan seems reasonable to me, but you might want to ask a vendor about how much the second RO membrane will do. With a pressure pump, I think it should be fine, though.

disc1
09/17/2011, 09:21 PM
The thing to do would be to have your well water tested and see what's in it. Then you can decide if RO alone is enough. If you don't need the DI then you don't need it, but I don't see how a second lesser rejection RO membrane is going to improve water quality over what the first one put out. If RO alone is going to work for you, then one step is probably sufficient.

That's like having a large pore filter after a smaller pore filter no?

Buckeye Hydro
09/18/2011, 08:35 AM
If you drop an air source into your reservoir, viola, you have a degasser.

Russ

Edward Smith
09/18/2011, 12:25 PM
If you drop an air source into your reservoir, viola, you have a degasser.

Russ

Ya.....but then I'm back to using Di.

Buckeye Hydro
09/18/2011, 12:53 PM
Right - and you'll get a reasonable life span out of the resin.