PDA

View Full Version : How often do you need to clean your glass/acrylic?

windowlicker916
09/17/2011, 09:51 AM
My tank is established for over 6 months and my water parameters are excellent.

I have to clean my acrylic at least every other day if I don't want to see anything.

Trying to figure out if this kind of buildup is normal, my 2 other fresh water tanks don't do this.

Also I got a bunch of dingy brown....algae? that likes to build up on my rocks in areas where the flow isn't the best. This normal? I assume adequate flow is the solution to preventing it?

Love to here what your tanks are like in this regard.

lordofthereef
09/17/2011, 01:12 PM
I'd say it is about normal. I clean about twice a week. Sometimes that glass isn't completely clear anymore when I get around to it. Algae magnets work wonders. ;)

thebkramer
09/17/2011, 01:20 PM
my tank is established for over 6 months and my water parameters are excellent.

I have to clean my acrylic at least every other day if i don't want to see anything.
Trying to figure out if this kind of buildup is normal, my 2 other fresh water tanks don't do this.

normal in my tank.. I clean everyday to every other on sides and front.. I let the algae build up on back glass for a week then clean.. I have blennies that love to eat the algae when it comes off in big clumps (they also love to "kiss" the algae too)

also i got a bunch of dingy brown....algae? That likes to build up on my rocks in areas where the flow isn't the best. This normal? I assume adequate flow is the solution to preventing it?

normal for low flow.. Can you get more flow through there? How is your phosphate levels?

love to here what your tanks are like in this regard.

htth ;)

snorvich
09/17/2011, 01:20 PM
Algae magnets work wonders. ;)

Yes, they do work wonders. Look for the kind that float when they accidentally dis-attach. You will be happy you did!

windowlicker916
09/17/2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah I have a floating mag with dual magnets so it handles well, a scraping blade for reaching the bottom edges and stubborn stuff and an acrylic safe scrubber to get the rounded edges.

Guess I should look at how to fix my flow.

it's a 4 ft tank with 2 koralia 4's on one side and a MP40 on the other so not sure what more i can do.

EdKruzel
09/17/2011, 02:27 PM
What you describe is quite normal for a 6mth tank. I'm not sure what you mean by well established, but at 6mths and with rapid algae and diatoms it is certainly not matured or balanced. Your tank most likely has a very stable cycle but it takes about a year (sometimes longer) for a mature and stable system. Have patience...

Sk8r
09/17/2011, 02:52 PM
If you have an acrylic tank, I recommend 2 things: 1) a gfo reactor (about 50.00) 2) strombus grazer snails, under half a dozen. [They multiply wildly.] This can, on a mature tank, keep the film algae way down. IF YOU HAVE COMBTOOTH BLENNIES this may mean you have to do supplemental feeding of Formula 2 fishfood. It reduces it so much it may harm some species.

windowlicker916
09/17/2011, 02:57 PM
Actually bought a GFO reactor but I get 0 to a tad of phosphates when i test for it so I haven't bought any GFO yet, maybe I will put it to use, I know those tests are unreliable.