PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and skimmer help!

kdv9tb
09/18/2011, 04:21 PM
So I am excited about the new purchase I got today!! I picked up a 37 gallon column tank (20L X 18W X 24H). I love the dimensions, and have plans to make this a LPS only tank!! Big dream of mine, and my husband is FINALLY on board after the many pictures I have showed him!

Question is this. What lighting? I really like T5, and would prefer this, but with the light I have, it would only be about 2 watts a gallon. Fish store said it would be enough, but I dont trust them very much... The T5 works well in my 40 breeder, but I am worried about the light at the bottom of the tank.

Next question is what skimmer? I want a HOB that will do a good job and is quiet! I have a DIY Refegium that will go on the tank with Cheato, but I want a good skimmer. I am a firm believer they help withthe health of the tank....

All questions and comments are more than welcome! Please help me out with suggestions.... I love knowledgable help!

TheFishTeen
09/18/2011, 04:38 PM
If it was up to me i'd go with a AI SOL or a EcoTech Radion. (Both very high quality LED fixtures).

As for the HOB Skimmer, Reef Octopus BH 1000 looks great.

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-bh-1000-hang-br-on-back-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2347.html

kdv9tb
09/18/2011, 05:09 PM
I do LOVE my Reef Octopus I have currently. Does it work as well as the in sump ones?

As far as the LED lights... I can't afford one. Even to build one myself would cost to much on the tight budget I have. I would love to run more LED lights, but The price is still just to high for me to get one....

kdv9tb
09/18/2011, 06:04 PM
Could I get away with running a 4 bulb fixture? Only LPS being kept will be Torch, Frogspawn, and Hammers. I also wondered if I could just add a 2 bulb fixture to help, or if it would be useless. I might just be better getting the Nova Pro 6 bulb....

Help?

kdv9tb
09/19/2011, 11:11 AM
I have changed my mind... I think I want to do a DIY LED set-up. Now what?

I also have been do ing research on skimmers, and I like the Reef Octopus, but I do not like the pump in the tank. So I kept looking, and now I have fallen in love with the Aquamax HOB. It is pricey, but people seem to like it. Has anyone here used this skimmer and if so feedback?