PDA

View Full Version : Stocking my tank - fish suggestions?

tindall311
09/19/2011, 10:24 AM
Hey guys,

I am wanting to plan out the rest of the fish that will end up in my tank. I am hoping to have all smaller fish and then 1 larger one. It's an 85g semi-circle reef tank.

So far I have:

2 mocha clowns
1 starry blenny
1 flametail blenny
3 peppermint shrimp
Cleanup crew

All I know is that I want some sort of sandsifting goby and maybe a psychadelic goby if the copepods get high enough. How would these do with the blennies that I have?

I'd love some recommendations/suggestions, especially for fish that tend to wander the tank rather than hide or stay in a particular section of the tank.

Thanks!

aleonn
09/19/2011, 12:11 PM
I have a diamond goby that gets along with my starry blenny. They eat from different parts of the tank, so I don't expect problems. I've never had a mandarin before, but based on your current livestock I don't see significant competition for copepods.

Some other smaller fish suggestions include: royal gramma basslet (nice purple and yellow color), Helfrichi or regular firefish, and possibly a midas blenny (great personality, and have a cool eel-like swimming motion).

Please post photos of your tank, I'd love to see a semi-circle tank design!

thebkramer
09/19/2011, 12:18 PM
I also have a diamond .. great addition with lots of personality and he now gets along with everyone.. when I first added him.. my starry gave him hell.. but I'm sure it was just the "hazing" phase :lmao:
I agree with aleonn with adding the mandarin if you have the means to keep him plump.. then go for it ;)
another fish IMO to look into... a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse!!! VERY colorful and VERY Active with LOTS of personality!!! they are great additions and get along with just about anyone... they hid if scared.. but I don't see that happening with your combo of fish already.... Wish I could add one to my tank again!!!!!
keep us updated!! I wanna see pics too!!! :bounce3:

Brando8719
09/19/2011, 12:49 PM
I have a red elongated dottyback and I love it.. it hasn't been aggressive towards my other fish. It is apparently one of the only dottybacks that is neither aggressive or skittish. It's very active and colourful. Maybe others can chime in on their experiences with them but mine has been great.

I've also had my eye on a McCosker's flasher wrasse. I've only read good things about them.

aleonn
09/21/2011, 01:53 PM
Ya, I want a McCosker's flasher wrasse too. Nice color, but most of my LFS don't have them stocked (and they sell quickly).