PDA

View Full Version : Bad day on the reef

Mental1
09/19/2011, 08:04 PM
Maybe it is time to give up.

I put the fuzzy in QT again yesterday because he was gilling again. The fu that was sick before was also not looking good, so I caught her this morning and she was even worse than the fuzzy -- I don't know what the problem is but she went in with the fuzzy.

Then my GSD came up to me and it hurt and I looked down and he had a nose full of porcupine quills so canceled morning meetings and went off to the vet. Had water running to mix up because I need to do water changes on the QT as I am using Furan 2. Called daughter around 2 and asked her to turn it off -- she said the basement was flooded so I sighed.

Got home around 7 and went down in the basement and boy was it flooded. I looked at the fu and she looks terrible. Then I turned around and realized that the reason the basement was flooding was not because of the RODI but because 2.5 basement tanks were basically empty. A pipe had come undone. The 55g that the tanks empty into had about 4 inches of water in them. My huge RBTA was a mess -- mouth wide open cooking under the MH as well as the purple sponge and an SPS. The 75g had about 3 inches of water and the 40b was half empty. There was 100 gallons of water on my basement floor.

I had about 60g of RODI so immediately started mixing it up. I then called LFS and raced over and got 35g from him, came home and added it. The mixed water was clear enough to add in so I did so I could get the skimmer and all of the other stuff running. Then I ran upstairs to eat some food went back downstairs and found that I did not open one valve back up so spilled another 15 gallons. Fixed that problem, making water, and wet vacing. Wet vac is emptying now for the second time.

Did I mention that the fu is dying?

jwm2k3
09/19/2011, 08:39 PM
Jeeze Sherri, sorry for your troubles. If ya want, Im not too far away, I can come and get thoes bad fish tanks out of your way for you..no charge of course :)

J/K, good luck, you know it will get better, youve been doing this a long time.

My GSD loved to watch the fish when we had him!

Mental1
09/19/2011, 09:22 PM
Man -- tonight is just awful. SPS are sliming really bad. Went back to wetvac some more and the calcium reactor was acting weird. Thought I needed to change the co2. So I changed out the tank and still no go. Discovered that one of the fittings is leaking right onto the ph controller and the effluent was clogged. Couldn't fix it so woke hubbie up. He couldn't fix it either so I need a new fitting. But he did put a pipe under the leak and into a bucket.

Skimmer is going crazy. Fu is still alive. Waiting for the RODI. Need to mix more water. Maybe I need to drink a beer or something.

StephLionfish
09/19/2011, 09:46 PM
Good grief.... I wish there was some way I could help... :( Hang in there.

Mental1
09/19/2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks Steph -- just waiting for the water right now. Will go to sleep soon. But guess what -- there was the purple sponge on an exposed rock under a MH .. so far it looks okay. If it makes it through this I will have to send you one of those pieces!

palmer373
09/20/2011, 01:18 AM
Sorry for all your problems, hope you pull through. whats a GSD?

Mental1
09/20/2011, 02:26 AM
German Shepher Dog ... he's fine. He just said hi. Anyway, water still mixing -- looks like I will have another 25 gallons to add and enough to do a water change on the QT. 3 hours sleep. Lots to do today.

rayn
09/20/2011, 05:28 AM
Wow, hang in there. Hope things get better for you.

usatennisfan
09/20/2011, 05:30 AM
Sorry to hear for your troubles. I'm pulling for you, good luck.
-Stephen-

Mental1
09/20/2011, 05:38 AM
Well, just changed out the lions in QT and the fu is still alive. I think I will wait a day before doing the next round of Furan. They always get stressed with a 25% water change. Then added water to the whole system and we are up to appropriate levels. The nem looks okay, this purple sponge is okay, the SPS frag is okay -- all out of the water for an indeterminable amount of time under a MH light! The geriatric fish in that tank are all okay and accounted for. The sliming has stopped in the main tank and no casualties there so far. No spots on any fish yet so that's good -- will feed them up today with vitamins and stuff.

And I am exhausted. Time to go to work!

jarrod13
09/20/2011, 06:26 AM
So sorry to hear that Sherri, hang in there though, you did a great job of picking the ball back up and running it in for a td!!

Mental1
09/20/2011, 06:39 AM
Just found Pinchy dead. He was my reef lobster -- have had him for years. He lived in the 75g. The water must have gotten too hot or something. The heater probe was out of the water so it must have just kept heating up the water and he was trapped and could not get away from the heater. Plus I lost a few mollie babies but that's it so far as I know.

Lorenz725
09/20/2011, 06:45 AM
Sorry to hear about all the problems you have head. I tend to have days like that where one things happens and all goes to hell. Seems like after all that mess things are turning out ok. Good luck!

fish stalker
09/20/2011, 09:23 AM
That sucks, hang in there.

Mental1
09/20/2011, 09:38 AM
I am at work and paranoid. Really bummed about Pinchy -- I promised him he would never suffer the same fate as his much larger cousins. I have had him at least 3 years. This weekend I have recruited my husband to help me make sure this never happens again. It would have been a total disaster if I had been on a trip as no one would have checked. I would have lost everything.

Wish I could take a nap.....too much to do!

StephLionfish
09/20/2011, 10:37 PM
We went to Seattle Last year, and I was so paranoid the whole time... I mean, it was only for a week, but that far from home with no one to check on the house.... You never know with Saltwater.

Sorry 'bout your lobster.. :(

Mental1
09/21/2011, 11:15 AM
It is crazy and some of my trips take me away for 10 days. I usually hire a local maintenance company to come in at least once while I am away to look everything over. Getting plumbing supplies today, husband cursing this weekend.

Still sad about Pinchy. And it was 4 years that I have had him not 3. I hardly ever saw him but it was a dream set-up for him. The 75g has lots of rock and macroalgae and he just scurried around cleaning things up!

The purple sponge is fine and it was out of water under a MH for at least an hour. It hasn't even shed.